New Dominican In Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjjd

Mar 14, 2004
Hi everyone! - Need some advice/help please.

My spouse has just moved to Canada and has been in Toronto for a week now. To say that he is going through culture shock is an understatement - he is trying very hard but he is definitely missing home, his friends, his food, etc. For a start though he has already started classes to improve his written English (his verbal English is very good) and is getting used to the transit system (OK it's just one bus ride - still finding the time to take him on the subway - eeek).

We live in Scarborough and are having a difficult time finding Dominican food products - we've hit the Caribbean markets but don't really find too much. Are there any places where we can find these items? Any Dominican restaurants around? Any Dominican or Spanish groups/clubs that he may feel a type of camaraderie with? He was so social back home and I know that his adjustment would be better if he spoke to people he had much in common with. People have been telling him that it's so hard at first but you do eventually adjust, but at times I feel that he's ready to jump on that plane back to DR.

Oh - and he's definitely missing the Presidente beer ;) - any around?

Regards.

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Well.....no Presidente....I WISH! Only found it in NYC and brought some back to savour.

A lot of major grocery stores will carry plantain and yucca. There is a shop in Kensington Market (whose name escapes me) but they sell all things Latino - they even have some chicharron on ocassion - more Columbian style than Dominican - but great regardless. They carry all the herbs and spices that are required.
I know that's not much help to you in Scarborough....there's also some shops on Bloor St West near Bathurst that carry these goods as well.

At a party a few weeks ago I met a Dominican guy that lives here that is doing some Bachata shows in town - perhaps your man can write to him from his website
www.wilsonmanuel.com (calls himself the bachata king...!) anyways he seems like a nice guy and had some other Dom. friends with him. I may also be seeing some of those same people again in July - If so I will get more info for you.

Friendly Dominican Restaurant on St Clair Ave West - again - far from you but decent food.
Most of the clubs are either in the west end or above Highway 7 - northwest. If you have a car you will be ok, but transit to these places - forget it except for perhaps El Rancho on College Street and Flamingo across the street.

HN

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Hi,

Well one of my favourite restaurants is The Friendly Dominican Restaurant in Toronto:
http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?h...s/friendlydom/main.shtml&prev=/language_tools

We had our last get together for DR1 at the restaurant it reminds me of the DR, it might help him feel good eating dominican food and listening to music. Plus there are always other dominican's in the restaurant.

You can check out:
http://www.torontohispano.com/ for any events that are happening.
I went to a Dominican night party at Latin Fever club a month ago it was fun!
Las Brisas club on Sheppard and Weston Road on Sundays.

They do have a Dominican baseball league I'll try and find more info for you if he enjoys playing. It's a great way for him to meet other Dominicans. Many of the dominican baseball players from the league head to Latin Fever Club at night but it's on highway 7 and keele kind of oppostie end of Scarborough.

I'm not sure what's around Scarborough since I live in Toronto but maybe someone else can help you with stuff around your neighbourhood.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know. :classic:

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Dominican..?

Cool,

I'm Dominican too.

I know how does he feel because I felt the same way too my first 3 month here in Toronto.

About food stuff like that he can get Platano, Aguacate, Yuca, etc.. at Dominion or Rabba sometimes, Brugal some LCBO has. He better slowly try to be busy getting to know the city get a TTC week pass and go around. about going out to club will be nice but here is not like back home. Im getting use to the country thinking as Canadian because if I think and behave like back home I will be late to every place and I will drink beer while Im driving or walking outside.

You have to understand him.

No many Dominicans stay here after they come because the language, weather or social life. I'm extremly social but here in Canada is hard to find the good Dominicans.
Back in DR we help each other here there are many who are no real and helpless.

There are many from POP, SDQ, LRM. here.

If he have any question tell him to send me a PM.

cjjd said:
Hi everyone! - Need some advice/help please.

My spouse has just moved to Canada and has been in Toronto for a week now. To say that he is going through culture shock is an understatement - he is trying very hard but he is definitely missing home, his friends, his food, etc. For a start though he has already started classes to improve his written English (his verbal English is very good) and is getting used to the transit system (OK it's just one bus ride - still finding the time to take him on the subway - eeek).

We live in Scarborough and are having a difficult time finding Dominican food products - we've hit the Caribbean markets but don't really find too much. Are there any places where we can find these items? Any Dominican restaurants around? Any Dominican or Spanish groups/clubs that he may feel a type of camaraderie with? He was so social back home and I know that his adjustment would be better if he spoke to people he had much in common with. People have been telling him that it's so hard at first but you do eventually adjust, but at times I feel that he's ready to jump on that plane back to DR.

Oh - and he's definitely missing the Presidente beer ;) - any around?

Regards.

Nov 5, 2004
felicidades!!! :)

Congrats on your husband coming here! You must be very happy. You will find some very helpful ppl on this board.

simpson homer is a great Dominicano here in T.O. He gives very good advice too :)

I cannot add much to what has already been said, except that the Friendly Dominican Resturant is really great. Great food and atmosphere. A bit pricey..but as I said..amazing food.

I sent you a PM...hope to talk to you soon. :)

Good luck to you and yuor husband, I hope he will be able to settle in and feel comfortable here as soon as possible.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
A very diverse Latin community in TO

Cjjd,

The Toronto Latin community is very diverse therefore be prepared for a challenging adjustment process. One aspect that must be taken into consideration as you get to understand it is that it's a visible community but not Dominican specific. Certainly your will husband will find what he needs but the old adage "seek and thou shall find" comes into play. There are different areas where he will find most of what he is looking for: St.Clair and Dufferin, Keele and Lawrence, Jane and Wilson, Keele and Wilson and Vaughan Road @ St.Clair. There are plenty of Latin food stores with a variety of products. As well you should go to the Annex (Bloor/ Bathurst area). You will realize that most of mini supermarkets/stores are owned by Salvadoreans, Colombians and Mexicans. Some entertainment options have been mentioned but everyone's taste is different so I will stay away from that. However, if he wants to go out dancing that should not be a problem. Toronto in my opinion has too many Latin clubs. Toronto Hispano is a helpful website so you may want to become familiar with it. He should also try to become a member of an on-line msn group called Dominicanos en Toronto (just do a search on google) if he would like to meet other Dominicans. I can't think of anything else right now. I think the adjustment process is difficult for any foreigner and finding similar aspects to what the person had in their home country sometimes is not the panacea.

Also, if you have the opportunity to travel go to Montreal which hosts a large Dominican community. The annual merengue festival is coming up the weekend of July 23/24. It's an all day out door merengue festival with live shows. The star performer this year will be Rubby P?rez but other artists (salsa too) will be there such as Jos? Alberto 'el canario', Fulanito, Aventura and other groups. If he truly wants to meet Dominicans in the Toronto-Montreal corridor that's the place to be this summer. There is info about it in a thread below in this forum titled 'Dominican Stuff in Montreal'. Bonne chance!

LDG.

Last edited:

Chiquita

Oct 3, 2004
If you and your husband want to meet some dominicans on Sunday nites Las Brisas and Latin Fever are good. I also noticed a new bar in the Weston/Finch area called Santo DOmingo, I've heard from friends that it just opened but a lot of Dominicans go there. They play a lot of Merengue Tipico and Bachatta. It kind has the feeling of being in the dominican the atmosphere is great.

cjjd

Mar 14, 2004
Thanks so much, Hollywood! Will definitely check out the restaurant and perhaps make a day trip to the west end. Didn't know there were many clubs around Hwy 7 - thank goodness - definitely hate parking downtown...

Regards.

CJJD

hollywood north said:
Well.....no Presidente....I WISH! Only found it in NYC and brought some back to savour.

cjjd

Mar 14, 2004
Hi Music - thanks for your reply! If you do have further information about the baseball league, of if you could just point me to the right direction, you can PM me - that would be great! I mentioned it last night and he seemed pretty keen on it.

Also had a chance to check out the website - didn't know about it previously and sure had a lot of info. Thanks for the tip.

Regards.

CJJD

Music said:
Hi,

Well one of my favourite restaurants is The Friendly Dominican Restaurant in Toronto:
http://216.239.39.104/translate_c?h...s/friendlydom/main.shtml&prev=/language_tools

cjjd

Mar 14, 2004
Hi Homer - hmmmm....you definitely have me nervous about how many Dominicans don't end up staying. Hope he doesn't become one of those statistics :(.

I did have to laugh when I read your comment about drinking beer while driving. I remember being in DR early in our relationship and he went to the store to pick up a Presidente to drink and proceeded to get in the car and start driving. Me: "WHAT ARE YOU DOING??? YOU CAN'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!" Him (looking at me like I was moron): "What are ya' talking about?? WE ALL DO IT..." And of course, they do :) I guess the saying is true..."when in Rome".

Regards.

CJJD

simpson Homer said:
Cool,

I'm Dominican too.

I know how does he feel because I felt the same way too my first 3 month here in Toronto.

cjjd

Mar 14, 2004
Hi Lesley - thanks for the tip on the festival in Montreal. I had heard that there was a large Dominican community there. I'm sure we'll make plans to go since he's been asking about seeing Montreal since he has a nephew there he'd like to see.

As I mentioned to Hollywood, we'll need to make a trip to the west end. I've always been an east end girl so it should be interesting exploring fully the other wonderful communities we have in our fair city.

Regards.

CJJD

Lesley D said:
Cjjd,

The Toronto Latin community is very diverse therefore be prepared for a challenging adjustment process. One aspect that must be taken into consideration as you get to understand it is that it's a visible community but not Dominican specific. Certainly your will husband will find what he needs but the old adage "seek and thou shall find" comes into play. There are different areas where he will find most of what he is looking for: St.Clair and Dufferin, Keele and Lawrence, Jane and Wilson, Keele and Wilson and

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Cjjd...

If you have any other questions about either city Montreal or Toronto feel free to send me a PM.

LDG.

PalanteyPaTras

Jun 12, 2013
Take him to LAS BRISAS nightclub. I've been to latin clubs in TO...not one has made me feel like I'm in DR as LAS BRISAS. They play same music as in DR...best of bachata, merengue, salsa, reggaeton and dembow. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.