Song lyrics for language learning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Lately I have been getting email requests for the lyrics of 'La Pared' by Joe Veras. Most requestors indicated that they were learning Spanish and would like the lyrics of the song. These requests have peaked my curiosity. I totally agree that song lyrics are a great not to mention fun way to learn a language. This type of learning is like an all inclusive deal in my opinion meaning the lyrics could have good grammar, bad grammar, colloquial expressions, idioms, slang etc. but the end result is the same you will know more vocabulary, expressions and understand more than you did before. A perfect example is the thread in this forum titled 'Tumbao'. Something so simple could have two different interpretations. One aspect about songs for learning a language that always amazes me is the title. Sometimes if I am not familiar with the artist or genre just by reading the song titles I know right away if it's a Cuban, Dominican, Colombian etc. artist because of the expressions in the title. There are some titles of songs that I am curious about because the usage is slang (I will try to include them in the thread later on).

I would love to hear people's opinions and thoughts about songs as a language learning tool and which genre do think is the best for beginners, bachata, merengue, salsa or bolero. Also, how do the lyrics help or improve your language learning.

LDG

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Lesley speaking for myself I think that when I really like a song it motivates me to learn the words more so than trying to learn the proper way to use verbs/nouns ect and the rules behind them. ;)

In other words makes the learning fun because there is a motive behind it.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
That's the way I learned

Lesley D said:
Lately I have been getting email requests for the lyrics of 'La Pared' by Joe Veras. Most requestors indicated that they were learning Spanish and would like the lyrics of the song. These requests have peaked my curiosity. I totally agree that song lyrics are a great not to mention fun way to learn a language. This type of learning is like an all inclusive deal in my opinion meaning the lyrics could have good grammar, bad grammar, colloquial expressions, idioms, slang etc. but the end result is the same you will know more vocabulary, expressions and understand more than you did before. A perfect example is the thread in this forum titled 'Tumbao'. Something so simple could have two different interpretations. One aspect about songs for learning a language that always amazes me is the title. Sometimes if I am not familiar with the artist or genre just by reading the song titles I know right away if it's a Cuban, Dominican, Colombian etc. artist because of the expressions in the title. There are some titles of songs that I am curious about because it's slang (I will try to include them in the thread later on).

I would love to hear people's opinions and thoughts about songs as a language learning tool and which genre do think is the best for beginners, bachata, merengue, salsa or bolero. Also, how do the lyrics help or improve your language learning.

LDG
I started to learn spanish from singing Latin Karaoke, my first songs was Suavemente by Elvis Crespo and No Me Digas Que No by La Makina, years ago when I was in between jobs there was a Dominican Bar called Las Tres Palmas and they had Latin Karaoke on Tuesdays with $2 Presidentes :classic: I picked a song I liked and looked up every word and the words in slang i.e. "Pequena echata pa' ca" I asked my friends. Without picking up a book I was able to read, speak and write spanish. Also, the songs are great with learning pronounciation.

It's better to start off with merengue because they are simple songs and repeat a lot of verses and choruses. Bolero, because its slow and you will be able to pick up what they are saying easily. Salsa, should be last because its Fast.

p.s. TV Novelas is another great tool, I personally keep the TV on mute for the close caption (spanish words on screen) and listen to it thru my stereo. I Loved "Rubi", can't wait for Part Two.

Nov 5, 2004
Hermanita by Aventura

Hermanita by Aventura, one of my all time favourite songs...it was the first spanish song that ever stuck in my head. So I found the lyrics in spanish..printed out a badly translated verios of it using www.freetranslation.com...
But figured out basically what meant what...and now I know all the lyrics by heart...plus it really helped me pick up spanish words..and now I sing along to lotsa Spanish songs without having to look up the words.

You know when you are first learning a language you will hit a certain plateau where it feels like you are not learning anything (not cuz you know alot..but cuz you are just having trouble picking things up anymore..or whatever the reason)When I got to my first Spanish platuea I found learning song lyrics helped me break that. It's how I learned alot of the words that I use in everday spanish.

Very effective IMHO.. ;)

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I learned a lot more Spanish ever since I started watching telenovelas. It helped a lot I was suprised how much. When I hear them using a word and I can't figure it out I try to ask a friend or look it up.
I also try to hear the words in songs and I am beginning to understand more compared to a few years ago.

Ricardo900- Rubi was really good I'm still waiting for part 2 as well ;)

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Nice replies all

Here are examples of song titles that are slang or idiomatic expressions. Test yourself. Do you understand the meaning:

No se le va una
El negro pega con to'
Por la maceta
Estoy salao'
Ta' pisao
Me muero chin a chin
Caliche
Ta' bien to'
P?gate m?s
Eso e pa lo do
Que le den candela
Rey muerto rey puesto
--------------------------

As per my original post one title I don't understand is 'son zapateado'. It's a song by Orquesta Guayac?n -Colombian salsa). If you know what that means please enlighten me.... maybe if I pay close attention to lyrics I will figure it out.

LDG.

Last edited:

mofi

Feb 9, 2005
I think songs are also a good way of testing your knowledge of the spanish language.....When I started learning spanish there was no way I could pick out words from songs. Now I can hear just about every word, and I know what 90% of them mean. Also its good because they use liasons, and you can begin to understand where the liasons go ect.
Also some songs have phrases which are used in every day speach and this is a good way to pick them up.
A good example of a liason is the song "No me ensenaste" By Thalia
"como olvidarte si nunca aprendi"

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Angel's cousin is my best friend in the DR. She loves Christian music, so I've started getting some English discs for her and doing the translation to Spanish...not such an easy feat. I think it will be an excellent way for her to learn more English, though.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Trina...

This sounds wonderful and there's no doubt in my mind that Angel's cousin will learn English via this method especially if she is a true novata. Christian songs or spiritual music is relatively slow pace therefore it won't be overwhelming for her. You are doing the translation- good luck! It's definitely not an easy task but you benefit too not to mention you are lending a helping hand. That in itself makes it worthwhile in my opinion. As well this morning I was thinking about your post and as a general comment bolero as a genre is extremely helpful to the untrained ear. The reason why I say this is because the pace is slow, the Spanish is usually very clear and sentences are not run on or cut off thus facilitating one's learning experience. The late Celia Cruz who is known as 'la guarachera' for salsa and other rhythms has some beautiful boleros in her repertoire. My favorites are 'Siento la nostalgia de Palmeras' and 'Por si acaso no regreso'. I recommend her boleros as well as anything from Charlie Zaa.

Later

LDG.

Last edited:

SugarBear

Oct 4, 2004
Learning the language

Music said:
I learned a lot more Spanish ever since I started watching telenovelas. It helped a lot I was suprised how much. When I hear them using a word and I can't figure it out I try to ask a friend or look it up.
I also try to hear the words in songs and I am beginning to understand more compared to a few years ago.

Ricardo900- Rubi was really good I'm still waiting for part 2 as well ;)
I agree with MUSIC.Telenovelas does help a lot.Here on the West Coast, they usually speak more,"Mexican" Spanish versus Dominican.I find checking out the Dominican underground,"RAP MUSIC" scene helps me trumendously for there is a rich diverse selection of Dominican slang in Dominican Rap.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The only genre of music resembling "Rap" in Spanish is Reggaeton, which originated in San Juan, PR. Although quite popular in La Republica Dominicana, it is not home grown. Although I enjoy Tego, Don Omar et al, I would not use them for my Spanish lessons.

Last edited:

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
I have to agree with this. I have been teaching ESL classes for about 3 1/2 years. I have encountered a lot of people who have excellent pronunciation and who sound like they are North American but have never left the island. All of them, without exception say that watching TV/Movies and listening to Music in English is how they did it.

So I took their advice for my Spanish. Unfortunately "Divertido con Jochy" doesn't work as well for me but it sure it entertaining.

Scandall

SugarBear

Oct 4, 2004
Tamborista said:
The only genre of music resembling "Rap" in Spanish is Reggaeton, which originated in San Juan, PR. Although quite popular in La Republica Dominicana, it is not home grown. Although I enjoy Tego, Don Omar et al, I would not use them for my Spanish lessons.
Thanks for the reply-I respectfully disagree.There are several genre's of "Spanish RAP", and it's not only in Reggaeton.The BayArea(Oakland-San Francisco) has a HUGE Puerto Rican community being muy lejos de Nueva York."REGGAETON" IS NOT a novelty.See www.reggaetonsf.com and www.lareggaeton.com. Some of the "Mariachi" music has incorporated some Rap in Spanish(VERA CRUZ state ) of Mexico.Likewise, "EL GENERAL" has been given the credit of being the first and foremost International guy to bring"Spanish Rap" to the forefront, and he's from Panama(His prime was the 90's). BIG PUN was the first Latino rapper to go PLATINUM,although there IS great debate wither he spoke fluent Spanish or not .NO QUIERO QUITAR NADA DE LOS MANOS DE MIS PRIMOS DE BORIQUA- Reggaeton is hip and cool,AND just like RAP is here to stay,and ain't going away(Bad english intended).I live in California, I doubt very seriously "KID FROST" and "Lighter Shade of Brown" would agree with you. If in Santo Domingo, go to La Zona Colonial at the end of the main street (Sorry,I can't remember the street,it's been a year,but it runs perpendicular to Calle de Las Damas)near the historic university look for the "Fusion Rose".There I encountered many "DOMINICAN" rappers(MARCH 2004).
Peace,Soul, and Hairgrease! :pirate:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I think that one has to be somewhat careful about learning a language by the lyrics of songs... the gramar is not always very logical as a lot is admisible to fit the rhythm.

Well, may be I shouldn't have said this since it was me that done and went teaching myself how to talk rite English... off Johnny Cash songs... :nervous: ... very much to the dismay of my English teacher from London, back in my school days.

... J-D.

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
That's how I learned

My friend brought me to this Salsa discotec and on the first night I was hooked.. Fell in love with salsa and had to learn the songs and to dance..

My first love was Jerry Rivera... I would play the tape, stop it and try writting what I heard with a "now very used" diccionary. I would have friends correct my songs.. After a while it would take me a lot less time to write them down.

Nowadays when my daughter wants lyrics for any song, it doesn't take me more then 15-20min. I might still miss one or 2 words but it's usually cause of the slang.. Although Aventura's song give me a hard time.

I think this is a good way to learn on your own especially if you make the effort to correct yourself and make sense of what you write down.

Very nice thread by the way

Status
Not open for further replies.