Easter in Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

dot

Jun 19, 2005
www.beyondthebeach.ca
We are planning a trip April 2, 2006 for 2 weeks - returning April 16, 2006. We have been there 3 times and have travelled extensively to other countries.

Our neighbours and several of their friends (none have travelled before) are going and the neighbour has been talking to a travel agent to see if we could get a group. They are dealing with a young woman who is trying to tell them that because it is so close to Easter, a lot of things will not be available! :rolleyes:

We have never encountered this and think she is full of it. We have assured them that is not the case. During Christmas & New Years just past, we were in Puerto Plata and the only thing not open was the Brugal tour. The Mall was even open New Year's day!

We have told our neighbours that if anything is curtailed, it will not affect us as we could go another day where we are there for 2 weeks. The people going for only 1 week with be there April 2 to April 9 and tours should not be affected that week.

Am I right in giving them this information? :nervous:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I do believe that during Semana Santa ( holy week leading up to Easter Sunday) all moterized water sports are cancelled due to heavy drinking at that time. ;)

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
dot said:
We are planning a trip April 2, 2006 for 2 weeks - returning April 16, 2006. We have been there 3 times and have travelled extensively to other countries.

Our neighbours and several of their friends (none have travelled before) are going and the neighbour has been talking to a travel agent to see if we could get a group. They are dealing with a young woman who is trying to tell them that because it is so close to Easter, a lot of things will not be available! :rolleyes:

We have never encountered this and think she is full of it. We have assured them that is not the case. During Christmas & New Years just past, we were in Puerto Plata and the only thing not open was the Brugal tour. The Mall was even open New Year's day!

We have told our neighbours that if anything is curtailed, it will not affect us as we could go another day where we are there for 2 weeks. The people going for only 1 week with be there April 2 to April 9 and tours should not be affected that week.

Am I right in giving them this information? :nervous:

Anna is right, watersports are not allowed. In Cabarete some of the restaurants/clubs were closed last year and the previous year during Samana Santa due to music restrictions, i.e. not allowed to have music playing after 12am or something like that. The point is that there ARE restrictions and the travel agent is probably more responsible than most in warning you that some things may not be available during this time - she's doing a good job, be informed before you assume that people are feeding you a line of bullsh!t. By the way, it is probably the most dangerous time of year to be traveling on the roads here in the DR as well, somebody else may have the statistics but I can assure you, I and many people I know (Dominicans included) do not leave our houses in our cars during this period. Then again - if you're going to an all-inclusive and plan to drink your days away, nothing will be different - drink all you want. And if you time it right then you should not miss out on anything.

Stay well,
Amy

dot

Jun 19, 2005
www.beyondthebeach.ca
I am more interested in weather Ocean World, Outback Jungle Safari, Paradise Island tours, etc. will be available?

As mentioned, most people will be there April 2 till April 9 (Palm Sunday) so should not be affected. The rest of us would be there for Good Friday and flying back out on Easter Sunday. Would expect that Good Friday would be a low key/relaxing day.

In Cartagena, Colombia this past Palm Sunday we did a tour to an island and other tours seemed to be as usual. The only difference we noticed was more people on the beach cause they had vacation.... not a problem with us. We would be staying at the Gran Ventana in Playa Dorada.

If music stops at midnight and sea-doos can't operate, that does not bother us. Just want to be able to take a snorkel trip and shop for souveniers if we want to during our second week.

Thank you for any help....

Olivia

PS - Anna - Did I meet you at the Debbie's Dominican Fiesta last year? Can't wait for July 23rd for the next one. Don & I are going down Friday for the prequel party to renew friendships made last year!

Last edited:

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Most tour operators operate as usual, exept some of the beach related tours
such as watersports.
There is alots of partying and drinking on the beaches during easter.
Friday and a few days ahead most restaurants, shops etc are closed.
Alots of accidents and many prefer not to go out on the streets during this weekend.
Shops in Playa Dorada Plaza, the tourist plaza, is open as usual, some restrictions might occur for the bars and restaurants there.

dot

Jun 19, 2005
www.beyondthebeach.ca
Thank you everyone for your replys.

I told the neighbour about the motorized sports being curtailed and the bars closing at midnight during the second week. She said she wanted to try a sea-doo but can do first week. Also, with the sun, sand and water, expect to be fast asleep by midnight anyway!

Again - appreciate your responding to my question. I do think we will have a great time.

Status
Not open for further replies.