How long to pick up Dominican Spanish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildnfree

Jun 14, 2005
Hi all
I am learning spanish and really intruiged by the Dominican pronouciation and way of speaking...maybe it is all the merengue and bachatas I listen too...but I really hope to go to DR and immerse myself in the language for a few years. Having heard the spanish there is not as slow or clear as that of Peru ect, does it thus take longer to pick up? What has been your experiences?

yasmin

Jun 16, 2005
I did speak zero Spanish, moved to the DR, and it took three months to me to understand the people and make people understand me.
First I really got headaches when I tried to pick up some words to find out what people were talking about. But when you get the basic things, it really goes fast!!

I recommend you if you move to the DR to learn Spanish, don't make too much contact with foreigners living there or with English speaking dominicans, because then you will speak more English than Spanish.

DRzIllest

Jan 1, 2004
All

I was wondering everyone, which would you say is the best city for somebody studying abroad for a year to learn spanish, Santiago or Santo Domingo? Cities with alot of english-speakers have always hampered my progression in Spanish so out of the 2 which would you recommend?

Thanks.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Get a Domincan novia that only speaks Spanish. Live with her and you will learn fast.

But remember when you understand Spanish and she asks you for money for her mother in the Clinica, NO COMPRENDO!

May 31, 2005
DRzIllest said:
I was wondering everyone, which would you say is the best city for somebody studying abroad for a year to learn spanish, Santiago or Santo Domingo? Cities with alot of english-speakers have always hampered my progression in Spanish so out of the 2 which would you recommend?

Thanks.
You will find many English speaking people in both Santiago and Santo Domingo. Those are the two most populated cities in the Dominican Republic. More English speaking in Santo Domingo but that is because there are more people overall in SD than in Santiago.

DRzIllest

Jan 1, 2004
SKY said:
Get a Domincan novia that only speaks Spanish. Live with her and you will learn fast.

But remember when you understand Spanish and she asks you for money for her mother in the Clinica, NO COMPRENDO!

hahaha!!!! thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.