The quest for a visa...help!

wildnfree

Jun 14, 2005
Hi all

I would like to apply for temporary residence before I make it to the DR, mainly due to the wait involved in getting it. However, how I have read all the info. from the Dominican consulate in the US but still have a few qs..hope someone can help!

I believe you can apply for temporary residence without needing a sponsor. Now, I am located in Hong Kong (our closest consulate for the DR is Japan and Korea) but will return to Australia in 2 months. Who do I contact to get the application form/send it to? Is it 'reliable' to apply from overseas? (if mailing to/from the DR, have heard bad stories about mail getting lost!)

Any info. would help!

Muchas gracias!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Don't the requirements say you have to be in country with a tourist visa at the time?

wildnfree

Jun 14, 2005
I read that due to the lengthy time period of waiting for its approval (in which you cant work), that it is possible to apply outside and have the visa activated upon entry. Most places do it that way..

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
The right words are very important when looking for answers. Are you looking for residency in order to work in the DR?

Click here

wildnfree

Jun 14, 2005
yes, basically. Work there and then, if possible, transfer from temp. resident to permanent - and then citizenship

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
May I ask what it is you are trying to do in the DR? Do you have a plan in place? Are you ready to start a business or work the second you hit the shore? Have you ever been to the DR?

I would like to suggest that you go as a visitor and contact a lawyer right away upon arrival. That way your papers are in process and if anyone asks you would direct them to the lawyer.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There Is The "LAW",And Then There Is Reality!

The "Reality" is that you can come here and work and then worry about your "residence" or "citizenship" at that time.I have worked here for over 10 years as an"Illegal Alien" according to the law!I come and go from the country as I please and so do most other foreigners.You will NEVER be able to do what you want to do from outside the DR,so forget about it untill you get here.Once you are here,there are lots of "DR1ers" who can steer you to a Dominican lawyer to help you.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jellylegs2002

Apr 9, 2005
Sorry- visa rubbish again!

Hi, i know theres lots of posts about getting visa's and i have looked on the domrep.gov web site for info but im still not sure about what visa i need exactly and how to get it. IM planning on going to stay in POP for around 3-6 months and to work over there at this time. If anyone knows what i need to get and how to go about it please email me asap: jellylegs2002@hotmail.com Thanks

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The main reason why not many foreigners apply for their residencies from abroad is because it involves dealing with Dominican Consulates which are notoriously inefficient if not corrupt.

The new immigration law which will take effect shortly mandates that all residency applications must be filed at a Dominican Consulate abroad.

doum334

Mar 10, 2003
The new immigration law which will take effect shortly mandates that all residency applications must be filed at a Dominican Consulate abroad.

So this mean that the application will need to be initiated in any country where there is a Dominican Consulate (ie Canada) and then travel to the DR to do the medical exams and the rest?

Also, do you know when this new law is planned to be in effect?