December Airline Tickets

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Did anyone buy their December tickets yet? I know some that have and claim to have paid under $400, but everytime I call Continental, they are still $600+! Mind you, I have to buy 3 tickets this year, so that cant be. I want to leave from Newark with NOOOO connections...

Can you guys post your ticket purchases once you make them? Lets try to gauge the best times and deals for Christmas.

Thanks.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
well for christmast I don't think you get low fares, it's the time when most Dominican came back, and I will give you a tip, as are coming 3 people don't use one laguage for each one, you don't know wich one will come in the next flight.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I don't believe CO has finalized their schedule for December. Currently they only show one flight per day and that plane is a 757-200. If past years are any indication, they will be adding flights or changing to a larger plane. Hopefully that will create some more discount fares.

You may try calling Continental and ask if they know when they will know if they will be adding more flights in December. What are the dates you will be flying?

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
:classic: hI Talldrink...

I myself have 3 tickets to buy for christmas any help will be appreciated if you find out any deals. I live in Jersey, but i've noticed that when traveling to the DR its usually cheaper to go via Kennedy Airport instead of Newark.

NJ/Janet

Talldrink said:
Did anyone buy their December tickets yet? I know some that have and claim to have paid under $400, but everytime I call Continental, they are still $600+! Mind you, I have to buy 3 tickets this year, so that cant be. I want to leave from Newark with NOOOO connections...

Can you guys post your ticket purchases once you make them? Lets try to gauge the best times and deals for Christmas.

Thanks.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Here are some of the 146 (!) fares ranging from $248 to $1638 plus taxes, for departing 12/22 EWR to SDQ. Whether these fare codes are available or not (X v.s. N vs. Q etc.) are up to the airline. Looking at fare basis , not many are - on CO only C,H,K and N classes. Note from JFK the fares, all 197 (!) of them are almost the same range from low to high.

Waiting will not likely incrase the number of seats nor drop the price in a limited supply business. When I went to the DR for Xmas I bought a ticket no later than October and even that was full fare business class as there were no seats even at top price later.

Only CO would be non stop.

X0APOW CO X One-Way 124.00 (USD)
N7C1SOW AA N One-Way 129.00 (USD)
W7APOW CO W One-Way 144.00 (USD)
L7SDQO US L One-Way 144.00 (USD)
S7CC25 AA S Round-Trip 298.00 (USD)
I7APOW CO I One-Way 154.00 (USD)
S7CC25O AA S One-Way 164.00 (USD)
S7SDQ US S Round-Trip 318.00 (USD)
SAA3CD AA S One-Way 169.00 (USD)
V7CC25 AA V Round-Trip 338.00 (USD)
W7CRB US W One-Way 169.00 (USD)
V7CC25O AA V One-Way 184.00 (USD)
I0BN CO I One-Way 184.00 (USD)
VAA3CD AA V One-Way 189.00 (USD)
W3CC25 AA W Round-Trip 378.00 (USD)
V7CRB US V One-Way 189.00 (USD)
U0BN CO U One-Way 194.00 (USD)
Q7CRB US Q Round-Trip 388.00 (USD)
W3CC25O AA W One-Way 204.00 (USD)
W7CRB2 AA W Round-Trip 398.00 (USD)
V0CRB US V One-Way 199.00 (USD)
O0BN CO O One-Way 204.00 (USD)
WAA3CD AA W One-Way 209.00 (USD)
L3CC25 AA L Round-Trip 418.00 (USD)
L3CC25O AA L One-Way 224.00 (USD)
HHX390 US H Round-Trip 440.00 (USD)
LAA3CD AA L One-Way 229.00 (USD)
N0BN CO N One-Way 229.00 (USD)
Q3SDQO US Q One-Way 229.00 (USD)
HHW390 US H Round-Trip 475.00 (USD)
QHX7NCB DL Q Round-Trip 487.00 (USD)
H3CRB US H Round-Trip 488.00 (USD)
V3CRB2 AA V Round-Trip 498.00 (USD)
HHX390 UA H Round-Trip 498.00 (USD)
VHOL14N AA V Round-Trip 506.00 (USD)

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
riravaga - What the heck did you say about 3 people???

Rellosk - you are correct, they usually add an evening flight and the planes are bigger. The thing is that they do it at a moment's notice, so is hard to gauge when they added them.

Janet - I dont like JFK because is so far from me and I Absolutely hate AA for Xmas. They are always late and they ALWAYS lose your bags!! Where do you go in DR??

Rick - 1. how do we get the fares you show here if we wanted them?
2. Yes, waiting in this case may increase our chances of getting a better rate. Any travel agent will you to keep checking and keep waiting - you may end up paying less (the chances are you will). I've been playing this fare game for about 10 years now.

Jimmy - I paid 330 last year, but I had to spend XMas here and Newyears in DR - didnt like it. So this year, I want to spend both holidays there...

Thanks for your feedback everyone!!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
rellosk said:
From ewr to sdq? What airline?

Continental please.

X0APOW CO X One-Way 124.00 (USD)
W7APOW CO W One-Way 144.00 (USD)
I7APOW CO I One-Way 154.00 (USD)
U0BN CO U One-Way 194.00 (USD)
O0BN CO O One-Way 204.00 (USD)
N0BN CO N One-Way 229.00 (USD)
Q3SDQO US Q One-Way 229.00 (USD)

I guess we still have to add the $100+ for tax... right?

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Only that N class was available on the 22nd. On CO with no return date specified, the return may cost more that the one way depending on availabliity.

You get the fares by calling CO if you cannot find them on the web site. Or a good travel agent, one that does not sell 99% charters.

I think waiting is false economy and renders you subject to the risk of paying whatever they want. And realistically you might save another $50 or so each way and risk nearly unlimited fares.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Only that N class was available on the 22nd. On CO with no return date specified, the return may cost more that the one way depending on availabliity. You get the fares by calling CO if you cannot find them on the web site. Or a good travel agent, one that does not sell 99% charters.

Ok we are back to square one. Your post is like when we see those magical low fares on the Net and then we click on purchase, it magically goes up a few 100 dollars. I have called CO and other agencies (see my previous post) for Xmas, either the departing or the returning is throwing the price of the ticket off. I (we) have called the airlines and travel agencies, they all tell us to keep checking.

I think waiting is false economy and renders you subject to the risk of paying whatever they want. And realistically you might save another $50 or so each way and risk nearly unlimited fares.

If you keep trying, you can save well over $50 on each ticket. And you know what if I save $50 on each one, I saved a total of $150 - thats another day at the resort for me...

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
he ever present mysterious "tax". Call a travel or rather, walk into one and ask them for the answer.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Talldrink said:
If you keep trying, you can save well over $50 on each ticket. And you know what if I save $50 on each one, I saved a total of $150 - thats another day at the resort for me...

Well you read 1/2 of it : for the possible gain of $50 you risk paying $100, $200 more if you wait or worse, no tickets. I guess if $50 is that important, and you are sure the prices will drop as you get closer to the date,wait until the 23rd of December.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Wait Till Sales........very Simple

Talldrink said:

Thanks.
If you're stuck on Continental, I can,t help, I always fly AA out of Hartford, never had a problem. You WAIT until the fares go ON SALE. Any travel agent will tell you the same.You can not get these fares until Sept. When the kids go back to school, fares go on sale. Buy in Sept. for Dec. I can fly direct, but opt for a change in San Juan instead, I find the one hour layover is worth not having to go through customs at Hartford(SanJuan Customs is great!!)

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Well you read 1/2 of it : for the possible gain of $50 you risk paying $100, $200 more if you wait or worse, no tickets. I guess if $50 is that important, and you are sure the prices will drop as you get closer to the date,wait until the 23rd of December.

This post doesnt make sense to me and anyway, why are you being so negative about it all? You are the only one saying to buy now for the hell of it... If you bought your ticket and will like to post how much you paid, you are welcome to post. For now, we are still back in square one with your post.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
How?

ggn420 said:
I can fly direct, but opt for a change in San Juan instead, I find the one hour layover is worth not having to go through customs at Hartford(SanJuan Customs is great!!)
I'm not aware of any direct commercial flights from BDL to anywhere in DR.