concerned about upcoming trip

capt. callous

Jun 23, 2005
I'm from NY and am planning a trip to La Romana in Jan. Are there any concerns at all about the problems in Haiti spilling over into DR. Would love to hear from people living in DR. It seems like the situation in Haiti is only going to get worse before it gets better. Is this at all a concern to the people of DR? I will be travelling with 3 kids and it makes me a little nervous to be so close to such turmoil in Haiti.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Probably six other people writing as I put this on the computer.

NO NO NO NO NO NO

YOu will see absolutely nothing of Haitians or Haitian problems. The only Haitians you will see are workers building more houses in La Romana.

FYI, the Haitians don't have enough gasoline to even reach Santo Dominngo, much less La Romana and you can be absolutely, iron-clad, 100% positive that absolutely nothing in Haiti will have anything to do with your vacation in the least!!!

La Romana is a beautiful "world apart" from the regular world of the Dominican Republic. So come on down and have a blast....

HB :D:D:D

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I dont' live in the DR but I've been to the DR many time never had a problem. I've always had an amazing time! I read this board every day (it's an addiction ;) ) and I haven't heard of any problems.
So have fun and enjoy the beautiful, amazing DR!! :classic:

May 31, 2005
Plus, La Romana is almost as far away as you can get from Haiti without leaving the island. I think that the farthest will probably be Punta Cana. But they are both around the same area.

capt. callous

Jun 23, 2005
I am looking foward to my trip. Probably staying at the Iberostar in La Romana but knowing that the neighboring country is heading for a civil war is a little unsetteling. There are lots of reports about kidnappings, murders in the papers.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
capt. callous said:
I am looking foward to my trip. Probably staying at the Iberostar in La Romana but knowing that the neighboring country is heading for a civil war is a little unsetteling. There are lots of reports about kidnappings, murders in the papers.
I guess you didn't read the other posts. You are very far from the Haitian border. You said it yourself, is a civil war. The violence has been internalized within Haiti. To date I don't believe any violence has been directed towards the DR. I haven't heard of any kidnappings in the DR that were caused by what has gone on in Haiti. There have been many Haitian seeking refuge in the DR. But to date none of them have been suicide bombers; only people looking to feed their families.

Since it sounds like no matter what others tell you, you won't feel safe; you probably should cancel your trip and go somewhere that you will feel comfortable.

capt. callous

Jun 23, 2005
rellosk said:
I guess you didn't read the other posts. You are very far from the Haitian border. You said it yourself, is a civil war. The violence has been internalized within Haiti. To date I don't believe any violence has been directed towards the DR. I haven't heard of any kidnappings in the DR that were caused by what has gone on in Haiti. There have been many Haitian seeking refuge in the DR. But to date none of them have been suicide bombers; only people looking to feed their families.

Since it sounds like no matter what others tell you, you won't feel safe; you probably should cancel your trip and go somewhere that you will feel comfortable.

Hold on cowboy, take it easy. I was just trying to get a feel for whats going on over there from people who are living it. Take a chill pill.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
capt. callous said:
Hold on cowboy, take it easy. I was just trying to get a feel for whats going on over there from people who are living it. Take a chill pill.

You stated your concern, people have tried to assuage your fear. Yet you posted this:

capt. callous said:

Staying at an AI in La Romana is not dangerous, no close to being dangerous and nowhere near the vicinity of dangerous.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
capt. callous said:
My suggestion was made to try to save you some stress. All of the other posters tried to reassure you and you still questioned the murders, etc.. I don't believe Hillbilly could have been more reassuring. If you're not comfortable, change your destination. You can't have fun on a vacation if you're worried about kidnappings and such. I didn't say what I said with any malice. :nervous:

capt. callous

Jun 23, 2005
Thank you for the replies. I look foward to coming to your beautiful island and especially look foward to meeting all the friendly people on the island.

capt. callous

Jun 23, 2005
By the way I'm really not all that callous, I'm always concerned about my familys safety. Thanks again for the replies.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
capt. callous said:
By the way I'm really not all that callous, I'm always concerned about my familys safety. Thanks again for the replies.

Even the most superficial study of an atlas and the news would have told anyone who was not a panicky Pete that the Haiti situation is not really a DR problem. Keep in mind it is only a few thousand miles from North Korea and they have ICBM's and may have a few bad compasses and a lousy temper while you are in your AI resort. Ooh, my knees are a knockin'.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Well come on - you need to avoid every US city with a population more than about three as well. Holy guacamole, no need to be a nervous nellie.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Callous

It is that what happens in Haiti has absolutely nothing to do with this place and even less to do with any of the area you will be visiting. La Romana , the area where you will be staying is a whole other world and could be on Calixta 417 in the Orion Galexy for whatever it represents the Dominican Republic. I mean to say that is is incredibly beautiful and oh so peaceful.

Haiti is Haiti and what happens over there will not be a bother to 99.7 % of the DR population. The 0.03% of the population are those that have ties to the neighboring country or are involved in businesses over there or something of the sort.

It is like worrying about an "insurgent suicide car bombing" in Mosul having an effect on you take off time in New York.

HB :D:D:D

capt. callous

Jun 23, 2005
ok everyone, I get it. The whole reason I came to this board is to find out from people in the know. Looking at a vacation and not really knowing the lay of the land or the politics in either country I just wanted to hear from people who know. I live 40 miles from New York City and I don't worry about crime from there so I get it. Thank you for all your posts and I once again am looking foward to my trip.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
capt. callous said:
ok everyone, I get it. The whole reason I came to this board is to find out from people in the know. Looking at a vacation and not really knowing the lay of the land or the politics in either country I just wanted to hear from people who know. I live 40 miles from New York City and I don't worry about crime from there so I get it. Thank you for all your posts and I once again am looking foward to my trip.
Enjoy your vacation :cool: and be sure to post a trip report when you get back.