Sankie/Sankiettes wish to move abroad

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Another thing that crossed my mind when it comes to sankies and sankiettes....
I live here, I meet alot of people, I know people working at consulates, in hotels and so on...

I seems to me that the sankies are more eager to move abroad, and therefor is pushing this thing with the ladies he is dating... and that the sankiettes are more eager to get money and things, but remain here on the island..

Is this just my opinion, or is this the case?
If so why?

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Foreign men go there with the expectation of spending money. Most start out as sex tourist and graduate to long distant dating. Women have need to be "in love" because in their mind getting laid on vacation is not something women do. So your sanky has to put more work up front to see some financial gain and even then it is nickel and dime compared to what dudes are sending their sankiettes. So his real score is the visa, while she can create a nice little lifestyle at home.

stormer

Apr 27, 2004
I have noticed this too as sankies do wish to move out of the DR. The sankie that I was dating (although didn't know at the time he was a sankie) all he talked about was moving to Canada. He wanted out in the worst way, he kept asking if he could get a job, yada yada. The kicker is he did get married to a Canadian and is now living in Canada, I guess he got his dream after all. :mad: I hope she has fun supporting his ***.

Small World

Apr 10, 2005
Maybe it's gender stereotyping, but men are "providers" & there are better job opportunities abroad (which by all accounts the sankies are not qualified for, but that probably doesn't cross their minds). Also women are more vulnerable anywhere in the world. I doubt if information about immigrants lured away from home & forced into prostitution in foreign countries filters down to sankiettes in the DR, but I get the impression something is making them stay at home.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Can it also depend on the stages of life of the gringo/gringa?

Most men that date the sankiettes are older, have their pension and have moved here more or less, at least for a period of the year..
Most women/girls are here on vacations, younger still with lifes/work/maybe children etc in their home countries?

Combined with the situation that the sankies are eager to move abroad, and the sankiettes wants things, money for themselves and their families etc etc.

It makes a match! hehe ;)

I don?t know many of the women living here permanently in Puerto Plata that have sankies.
One has for sure, he is half her age, and a former disco guy...
I heard him say once in her garden " When she dies all this is mine!!!" to a friend... But he?s in for a surprise too, she just rents the house, and have 2 children living with her!
Otherwise not many.
If I think of the men I know of living her permanently, arriving without a wife by their side, most of them have sankiettes girlfriends about half their age or less...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'd never noticed this myself, but I think you have a point. Could it apply to emigration patterns according to gender across the board, even when there is no sankie-type relationship?

Maybe the women are more tied to their extended families, especially if they already have children?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Chirimoya said:
I'd never noticed this myself, but I think you have a point. Could it apply to emigration patterns according to gender across the board, even when there is no sankie-type relationship?

Maybe the women are more tied to their extended families, especially if they already have children?

Maybe. Interesting point.. I guess real statistics would be hard to find, as it would be the embassies here that are the closest ones to give information.
I did a reserarch on that once at university, but for genders of Sweden, on the emigration to US between 1860-1910.
Sex, where they went, marriage status etc.
Another time, another era, I know. But very interesting. :glasses:

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Now let the master speak.

Please Duncan, put them on the right track. :nervous: :nervous:

B.T.W. CARINA you are one of the most helpful people on the board.(lol).

Small World

Apr 10, 2005
I think Chirimoya has a point

My friend is Norwegian & she once commented that when young Norwegian women go to study abroad if they meet & fall in love with someone during this time when their studying is completed they often return home & their boyfriend/husband joins them in Norway. When Norwegian men go abroad & fall in love with a girl, more often than not they choose to live in her country. I believe Norway has the highest standard of living in the world, so maybe it isn't all to do with economics . . . :cheeky:

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Small World said:
My friend is Norwegian & she once commented that when young Norwegian women go to study abroad if they meet & fall in love with someone during this time when their studying is completed they often return home & their boyfriend/husband joins them in Norway. When Norwegian men go abroad & fall in love with a girl, more often than not they choose to live in her country. I believe Norway has the highest standard of living in the world, so maybe it isn't all to do with economics . . . :cheeky:
So it could go back to the old male/female thing. Guys are roamers, gals are nesters.

BTW: Here's a different perspective on Norway having the highest standard of living in the world.

Article

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
A nice way of putting it

xamaicano said:
Foreign men go there with the expectation of spending money. Most start out as sex tourist and graduate to long distant dating.
Not to mention the post-grad courses in Western Union or SankyBanky Studies.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Food for thought

Well Carina, interesting discussion!

My perspective: I agree the Sankies are very interested in getting out of here. the concept is that life is SOOOO much better "over there". They see it as the easy life. I hear constantly that once over there they realize how good they had it back here. Many return.......

Sankiettes: at first glance appear to be more about getting their needs met here and their families taken care of! BUt, I think there are two different groups here. the first are girls who their main business is selling themselves. The guys find one that makes them happy and enter into a different level of relationship if it can be called that. They seem to be with older retired types... but not exclusively. THe girls seem to be more interested in staying here and have families / children etc. From my perspective it appears a lot of these work well.

The second group of sankiettes look and act more like the sankies we know and love. They work in the resorts or in the tourism industry and are doing the same types of things that the sankies are doing. They are definately more interested in getting out of dodge!!! However they are all open to gifts, money etc... Most of them have sick mothers / grandmothers / children......to buy medication for...LOL

As for foreign women living here: I know many many who have sankies / reformed sankies depending who you believe as husbands and or boyfriends. They are supporting them men in the manner to which they wish to be accustomed!!!!

My two pesos worth....