Villanueva and Garcia to the NBA!!

Malafama

Mar 17, 2005
Finally we get more Dominicans being drafted to the NBA in the first round of the draft since Luis Felipe Lopez. I was very happy to see Villanueva and Garcia going to the NBA we need that kind of representation there. I was a little shock to see Villanueva being Picked number 7 overall specially over Garcia who was a better player and took Louisville to the final four but well done guys!!

M

Mr.Mark

I just hope Villanueva doesn't have a bad season as Darko Milic did. At least he's not as young as Milic and he doesn't have to deal with adaptation issues since he comes from the NCAA and not from Europe.

Francisco Garc?a should've been picked higher, but I think he'll have the chance to do great things in Sacramento. We Dominicans now have a great chance to demonstrate that just as Argentina has good players so we do!

Malafama

Mar 17, 2005
Mr.Mark said:
I just hope Villanueva doesn't have a bad season as Darko Milic did. At least he's not as young as Milic and he doesn't have to deal with adaptation issues since he comes from the NCAA and not from Europe.

Francisco Garc?a should've been picked higher, but I think he'll have the chance to do great things in Sacramento. We Dominicans now have a great chance to demonstrate that just as Argentina has good players so we do!

Totally agree!!

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
Just for the record, in case non sports savvy people would like to follow Villanueva and Garc?a in the future, here's where they'll be scoring:

Francisco Garc?a picked by Sacramento Kings (as Mr.Mark said).
Charlie Villanueva picked by Toronto Raptors.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I think

Garcia was a "steal" with the 23rd pick and Villanueva a "stretch" with the 7th. They are both legitimate NBA talents and should have longer and more successful careers than prievious Dominicans such as Tito Horford and Felipe Lopez.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
If Garcia keeps his ties to his neighborhood in Bronx he will be a failure. I hope he gets his family and himself the hell out of Elliot Place, where his brother was murdered. I wish him all the luck in the world. He should take his millions and run like hell.

May 12, 2005
jruane44 said:
If Garcia keeps his ties to his neighborhood in Bronx he will be a failure. I hope he gets his family and himself the hell out of Elliot Place, where his brother was murdered. I wish him all the luck in the world. He should take his millions and run like hell.

no doubt, elliot place is a terrible neigborhood as is that whole section of the bronx. Just as long as he doesnt take his "friends" from the street corner with him, he should do quite well.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
fko1 said:
no doubt, elliot place is a terrible neigborhood as is that whole section of the bronx. Just as long as he doesnt take his "friends" from the street corner with him, he should do quite well.
I also think he could alot more to help solve his brothers murder. I wish his family would talk to people from the neighborhood that are a little reluctant to talk to the police. Remember the police are not the enemy.

irishdomician

Aug 15, 2004
Bad to Good

Malafama said:
Finally we get more Dominicans being drafted to the NBA in the first round of the draft since Luis Felipe Lopez. I was very happy to see Villanueva and Garcia going to the NBA we need that kind of representation there. I was a little shock to see Villanueva being Picked number 7 overall specially over Garcia who was a better player and took Louisville to the final four but well done guys!!

First I must say that being of Dominican heritage and Canadian, I'm excited to see another Dominican in the NBA. BUT, the fact is that poor Charlie had no buisness going at #7 overall. He now has alot of pressure on him. Also, he's a power forward,hello? CHRIS BOSH (nuff said). He unfortunitly will not play. Garcia on the other hand went way to late and we be an exellent pro and will have a long career, I think he will be our greatest pro baller ever!(sorry F. Lopez).

O-riginal

Mar 3, 2005
jruane44 said:
I also think he could alot more to help solve his brothers murder. I wish his family would talk to people from the neighborhood that are a little reluctant to talk to the police. Remember the police are not the enemy.

I'm not sure where you're located but in NY the police most often than not are the enemy. Yet it's a damn shame that this murder hasn't been solved. Chances are that even if they had a lead they still wouldn't get the rightful killer....... Anyhow congrats to both Charlie and Garcia, represent!

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
Mr.Mark said:

hopefully they don't become another felipe lopez,,, high expectations, lots of publicity at the beginning and the at the end he faded out.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
fko1 said:

where is elliot place? i used to live in fordham rd area...
now live around westchester sqr and in the heights

May 12, 2005
Elliot Place runs between Jerome Avenue and the Concourse. Not the best area of the Bronx, but not the worst. If you're from the Fordham Rd area then you know Davidson, Creston, Valentine, and that neighborhood, much worse.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
O-riginal said:
I'm not sure where you're located but in NY the police most often than not are the enemy. Yet it's a damn shame that this murder hasn't been solved. Chances are that even if they had a lead they still wouldn't get the rightful killer....... Anyhow congrats to both Charlie and Garcia, represent!
I am from New York and consider your statement to be pretty ignorant.

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
fko1 said:
Elliot Place runs between Jerome Avenue and the Concourse. Not the best area of the Bronx, but not the worst. If you're from the Fordham Rd area then you know Davidson, Creston, Valentine, and that neighborhood, much worse.

ok i think i know where elliot is... i used to live by valentine, creston...
there are worst areas in bronx than those mentioned.... hunts point is hotttt which belongs to soundview section

FuegoAzul21

Jun 28, 2004
THE GAME said:
hopefully they don't become another felipe lopez,,, high expectations, lots of publicity at the beginning and the at the end he faded out.

Even though Felipe was not the star many people though he would be ,during his first few years , ,he was one of a hand full of Latin American players at the time ,this was back when most people beleived hispanics couldnt play ball,he was the only one to challenge that .He isnt done yet though , from what i gathered he is playin for the Dallas Mavericks summer league team and playin well,so you might see him playin again .Everybody seems to be forgettin about Luis Flores (Guard-Manhattan College-Denver Nuggets) he is doin really good in the summer league ,hopefully he stays in the N.B.A.Trevor Ariza claims to be Dominican(i think he is like 1/4th,but if he wants to play for D.R ,thats hot).A few Dominican have been invited to basketball camps , someone might get signed.Only time will tell