Quirina!! Military? Police? Involved? [long post]

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
According to my math, 20 persons have been extradited to date [30jun05] to the USA from the DR in the course of the current American Quirino prosecution. Excluding Columbians.
? Several of these accused criminals appear to have been or are now high ranking Dominican military officers.
? Several of these accused criminals appear to have been or are now high ranking Dominican police officers.
? How many deportees of category each? To date. A count, please, from someone more knowledgeable than I.
? At some point, does the suspicion arise that many [perhaps most?] in the upper ranks of the DR military are engaged in drug smuggling & money laundering. Before? Currently?
? At some point, does the suspicion arise that many [perhaps most?] in the upper ranks of the DR police are engaged in drug smuggling & money laundering. Before? Currently?
? What remedies are available to the DR people? Nearly all of whom are poor; almost none can share in the immense profits from drug sales.
? Food for thought: the presumption of innocence in the American legal system is a legal fiction that arises as soon as a jury is to be impaneled.
? Must the American legal process run its complete course before, reasonable, objective evidence of the magnitude & profits of the DR drug smuggling operations [plural] become evident. Will tongues wag? In Spanish? Will the DR government do anything? Anything effective? Or, . . another Baninter? Stay tuned. Sept. & Oct. should be interesting months in the DR ! ! !
Food for thought.

frank alvarez

Apr 13, 2004
I don't have much hope for change...

This is not at all surprising. The Dominican cultural habit is of joining the military ranks or 'being in power' not to serve the people but to get impunity to 'get mine'. Corruption is a part of life all over the planet but it seems the Third World countries have a much deeper problem and that is logically due to poor salaries and other cultural conditions.

Personally, I have historically despised the PRD and PRSC people who have been very much interested in abusing the people while wasting or stealing the country's resources. I think the PLD people are a bit more clean in this regard but the more they open up to the rest of the parties and the populace at large the more they will become like the others.

Frankly, I don't have much hope for change since it has become obvious that even this 'better' government than the rest becomes an accomplice by not pursuing the extreme abuses of the previous one. Too bad.