China-Orange

Status
Not open for further replies.

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
what is the history/etymology of the word china in the Dominican Republic?

Is it used in any other country?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
aegap said:
what is the history/etymology of the word china in the Dominican Republic?

Is it used in any other country?
As I was in the fruit and vegetable business for many years here, as well as having a juicebar, that predominantly sold orange juice, I was very curious about the same thing.
It was explained to me that it was simply a matter of colour.
The chinese are considered to be of yellow skin, as the oranges are.
It seemed strange to me at first, so I asked several people, and that was the only valid answer I ever got.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
I had read or heard that oranges originally came from China, therefore some people know them as "chinas". I am not sure if oranges came originally from that country, but that's what I heard or read a long time ago.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
So it is true, after all, what I had read or heard was true. Oranges did come from China! I did not know that the word naranja had come from the Sanskrit naranga, that's the "official" word for orange in most of the Spanish speaking world, naranja. But Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are right also when they use "chinas" for naranjas. Chirimoya, it's good that you and your team investigated this matter. Now we all know better. Thank you.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Not everyone in the DR call Orange "china". If you go to the Salcedo province they call the sweet and juicy Orange "Naranja".

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Yes, I've heard that in Santiago they say naranjas and also frijoles instead of habichuelas. That's what I have heard, people who live there, or are from there, should know.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
bartender, make that a screwdriver with yellow juice

The chinese are considered to be of yellow skin, as the oranges are

Rocky, do you know that the prevalence of daltonism and color blindness among the population of western countries is about one in 12 males?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Mirador said:
Rocky, do you know that the prevalence of daltonism and color blindness among the population of western countries is about one in 12 males?
Heck, not only did I not know that, I had to look "daltonism" up in my dictionary.
There are a lot of factors to consider here.
First, a lot of oranges in this country are actually yellow. Then, Dominicans in general will rarely use the word "mamey" to describe the colour of an orange, and will simply call it "amarillo".
Then, it would appear that my whole theory is shot to heck anyhow, as another poster has explained that oranges came from china, thus the nickname.

Status
Not open for further replies.