Was called from a very strange phone number

M

Mr.Mark

Hey guys,

Can you help me out with this one or at least give me some light to solve my question?

I received a call from someone that in my Orange mobile caller ID was identified as 8091742XXX. So you have there 10 digits, which is what the caller ID records. However I find it strange, since the number starts with 1. Was I called from a place that has 742 as an area code? If so, this is the area code of Philippines! Is there a state in the USA with this area code?

I'm gonna call Orange and hear what they have to tell me. I don't give myself false hopes from them, since their Customer Service is horrendous!

Verizon sucks too. This is a funny anecdote I suffered from them. I remember I once called Verizon to ask what was the minute rate to Singapore and after about 6 minutes (not sure, I think it was more), the CSR tells me: "Is Singapore in Europe?". Man! Singapore doesn't even sound European!

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Mr.Mark said:
Hey guys,

Can you help me out with this one or at least give me some light to solve my question?

I received a call from someone that in my Orange mobile caller ID was identified as 8091742XXX. So you have there 10 digits, which is what the caller ID records. However I find it strange, since the number starts with 1. Was I called from a place that has 742 as an area code? If so, this is the area code of Philippines! Is there a state in the USA with this area code?

I'm gonna call Orange and hear what they have to tell me. I don't give myself false hopes from them, since their Customer Service is horrendous!

Verizon sucks too. This is a funny anecdote I suffered from them. I remember I once called Verizon to ask what was the minute rate to Singapore and after about 6 minutes (not sure, I think it was more), the CSR tells me: "Is Singapore in Europe?". Man! Singapore doesn't even sound European!
I would think by looking at it, that 809 is your area code, 174 is the prefix or registration area. Did you put the X,s for security reasons? if so I don't see anything wrong with your displayed # I think 174 is the number you want to look for.

M

Mr.Mark

ggn420,

Thanks. Yes I put Xs instead of the real numbers for security reasons.
"174 is the prefix or registration area" I don't agree with that. To my knowledge, phone numbers starting with 174 do not exist in the DR. What's the registration area anyway?

Thank you

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
809 is the area code.

Doing a quick skim through phone book, I don't see any 174 prefixes, which makes me wonder if it is from another cell phone.

Why not dial the number and find out?

M

Mr.Mark

Ken said:
809 is the area code.

Doing a quick skim through phone book, I don't see any 174 prefixes, which makes me wonder if it is from another cell phone.

Why not dial the number and find out?

I did dial the number back. The thing is that I received an automatic message from Orange telling me something like that number cannot be accessed. I think that what happens is that the number contains more than 10 digits (the quantity of digits that my caller ID has capacity to store).

A

apostropheman

i've been having trouble for well over a month contacting orange cell #'s from Canada. i've tried 2 different brands of calling card and 3 different phones and still cannot connect. i get a similar message, in spanish.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Mr.Mark said:
ggn420,

Thanks. Yes I put Xs instead of the real numbers for security reasons.
"174 is the prefix or registration area" I don't agree with that. To my knowledge, phone numbers starting with 174 do not exist in the DR. What's the registration area anyway?

Thank you
809 is the area code no doubt for the DR. The first 3 numbers of your tel number(7 digits) is your home or registration area. On your home phone in the area you live, those first 3 numbers identify the town or area. Cell phones are very similar. The first 3 numbers are the office or cell site the phone was registered or set up at. In the states, my Sprint cell starts with 387...that is common of Mt. Tom, which is in the city of Holyoke. That is my HOME tower or registration site. It probably DID come from another cell....you would have to check with Orange for the prefix location, if they'll give it to you.There can also be several prefix's for any given area. Hope this helps you out.

M

Mr.Mark

ggn420 said:
809 is the area code no doubt for the DR. The first 3 numbers of your tel number(7 digits) is your home or registration area. On your home phone in the area you live, those first 3 numbers identify the town or area. Cell phones are very similar. The first 3 numbers are the office or cell site the phone was registered or set up at. In the states, my Sprint cell starts with 387...that is common of Mt. Tom, which is in the city of Holyoke. That is my HOME tower or registration site. It probably DID come from another cell....you would have to check with Orange for the prefix location, if they'll give it to you.There can also be several prefix's for any given area. Hope this helps you out.

Thanks for the input. Are you aware that I'm in Santo Domingo right now, that I'm not in the USA? The strange thing of this, however, is the registration number -if it is a registration number- 174.

I think that what happens is that the number I received the call from is from the area code 742. The caller ID must show by default the area code of my country (even when the call was not made here, and I think this is happening since now one has to dial 809 to make phone calls, because that didn't happen to me before but it's happening now, that the area code 809 is showing on my caller ID).

You guys have talked about an 174 area code or registration, but I think that the 1 here stands for, well, the 1 that one has to dial to make international phone calls! The real area code must be 742. Perhaps it's 174 as you say. What I'm sure about is that there are no numbers in the DR starting with 174 or 1! Well, there are, those that are 1-976 numbers.

This is long! Well, I hope I have clarified some things with it.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
There are many times.........

.........that I have gotten wierd caller id numbers on both my Verizon and Orange phones in POP. Sometimes it's just a data transmission error and other times its when people use a "third" party calling card.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Mr.Mark said:
Thanks for the input. Are you aware that I'm in Santo Domingo right now, that I'm not in the USA? The strange thing of this, however, is the registration number -if it is a registration number- 174.

I think that what happens is that the number I received the call from is from the area code 742. The caller ID must show by default the area code of my country (even when the call was not made here, and I think this is happening since now one has to dial 809 to make phone calls, because that didn't happen to me before but it's happening now, that the area code 809 is showing on my caller ID).

You guys have talked about an 174 area code or registration, but I think that the 1 here stands for, well, the 1 that one has to dial to make international phone calls! The real area code must be 742. Perhaps it's 174 as you say. What I'm sure about is that there are no numbers in the DR starting with 174 or 1! Well, there are, those that are 1-976 numbers.

This is long! Well, I hope I have clarified some things with it.
If you can't call the number back,I would suspect an error or maybe the calls coming from another island with the 809 areacode. You dont have to dial 1 for international, if you have that plan. The person does NOT have to be in the 809 area code for it(809) to show on the id. 174 is the first 3 numbers of the phone number.You say your in SD.If you bought the phone there, the first 3 numbers of your phone number would be registered to the Santo Domingo area.If you live there, you would not buy a phone in POP, because it would be a long distant call for a hard line(home phone) for someone in your home area to call you. This is really not as complicated as it sounds.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
ggn420 said:
If you can't call the number back,I would suspect an error or maybe the calls coming from another island with the 809 areacode. You dont have to dial 1 for international, if you have that plan. The person does NOT have to be in the 809 area code for it(809) to show on the id. 174 is the first 3 numbers of the phone number.You say your in SD.If you bought the phone there, the first 3 numbers of your phone number would be registered to the Santo Domingo area.If you live there, you would not buy a phone in POP, because it would be a long distant call for a hard line(home phone) for someone in your home area to call you. This is really not as complicated as it sounds.

I tend to agree, probably just an error.
There are no long distance calls on the island though, all calls within 809 have the same cost for hard line or cellular, doesn?t matter.
As for the prefix, there are many new prefixes coming up now, also 8 digit numbers have started coming up (+809 ).
About 10 years ago you could easily, for instance in POP and the larger cities, know if a call was an office or residencial, and by the prefix ( the first 3 digits ) even know the area of the call.
For instance 320 was supposed to be just Playa Dorada, 586 was for business and govermental etc.
Nowadays this is not possible, it?s a complete mix of everything, and location don?t have much to do with it anymore.
Same with cellphones, I can activate a cellphone in Samana, but live in POP, or activate a cellphone in POP and live in Punta Cana... doesn?t matter nowadays..

A

apostropheman

Results for 1 742:
First exact US match is:
City, State, Country Country Code City or Area Code
[ General Purpose Code - This code is unreserved and generally available. ];
All States
USA 1 742

from a link in the article canajungirl posted earlier re:decoder

http://decoder.americom.com/cgi-bin/decoder.cgi

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Hello guys

You just receive a data error in the caller ID, Im using Centennial and it's happend to my cell phone too, but always if I receive an international call, last time I received was when a friend of mine called me fron New York the number that appear in my caller ID was 809-000-0017, and sometimes I had called to the USA and they tell me that appear a number different than mine, they gave me the number and I called and the phone number is not in services.

About 809 area code, since 2001 Dominican Republic kept the 809 code, there not another island using 809 as before.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
apostropheman said:
Results for 1 742:
First exact US match is:
City, State, Country Country Code City or Area Code
[ General Purpose Code - This code is unreserved and generally available. ];
All States
USA 1 742

from a link in the article canajungirl posted earlier re:decoder

http://decoder.americom.com/cgi-bin/decoder.cgi
This call originated from an 809area code, nothing to do with the states.....

M

Mr.Mark

Okay,

I'm gonna conclude for all that's been told here, that it was just an error. However, I think that the Kung-fu thing happened to me: I'm kung-fused! :chinese: :speechles

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You guys are making a big deal out of nothing. I get calls from this 174 number all the time. I have come to conclusion that its a calling center number which routes their calls over Ip network. 174 is the server which makes the calls. Case closed.
AZB

M

Mr.Mark

AZB said:
You guys are making a big deal out of nothing. I get calls from this 174 number all the time. I have come to conclusion that its a calling center number which routes their calls over Ip network. 174 is the server which makes the calls. Case closed.
AZB

Maybe that explains it all. However, you're saying we're making a big deal out of nothing as if we -at least I- knew this you're informing us now. I ignored that. This is case closed for me too.

Thanks