Return from Punta Cana

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Well, it's about 9:30am and I just returned from Bavaro Princess last night about midnight so, if this report strays a bit and is brief, it's the lack of sleep.

I finally convinced my brother to take a trip to the DR with me and there was, as always, a mix of the good and the bad. Upon arriving a piece of my brother's luggage was missing, though it did show up the following day, minus a few articles. I feel bad as he doesn't travel much, so I didn't think this was a good way to start the trip. However, we checked in to the Bavaro Princess, hit the showers, and dressed. The Bavaro Princess turned out to be a mixed blessing of sorts. We met a great guy upon our arrival by the name of Juan. He offered to take us around that night and, though I was a bit skeptical of his intentions, he turned out to actually be one hell of a nice guy. He never asked for anything, and pulled his own weight when it came to the drink tab at various places. However, one of the drawbacks of staying at the AI's is that you are given a wristband to wear while there to easily identify those people who are entitled to be on the property to begin with, as well as the services that accompany the "all inclusive" status. The downside is that the moment you walk off of the resort property, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, knows you're a tourist. I wish they would give people a card or some other form of identification which can be worn around the neck so that you can take it off before venturing outside of the resort.

In any event, I ran across the street to see my friend Manuel (fighting through the many vendors who want to sell you something), who is still in business selling his cigars and other little odds and ends. He poured us a mamajuana and we had a cigar, and caught up on old news.

From there my brother and I walked a couple of doors down to a small market in the Bavaro Plaza and I reacquainted myself with the folks who I had met on previous trips. Well, what started out as an afternoon jaunt turned into an evening of shooting the sh**, and consuming many, many Presidentes. The heat and humidity was much greater than I had recalled from past visits, even during a trip there last August. This, unfortunately was to have a great affect on our desire to venture out during the day and, eventually, even during the night. I'm simply not fond of sitting around sweating without exerting myself for some reason.

We spent another night driving over to Higuey which, in spite of the claims that it is only a 30-45 minute drive, is actually about an hour to an hour and 15 minute drive. I was surprised by the size of the place as I thought it had a population of about 45k people, but was told by the driver that it was more like 200k. We stopped at a small diner somewhere and had dinner, which was pretty damned good. I love pork, and the pig feet were great. We stopped in at a club and consumed many more Presidentes in preparation for our return to PC, where we called it a night.

After about 4 nights of this, my brother and I were just too overwhelmed by the humidity, not to mention the numerous locals who all vied to get their hands into our wallets, and ended up staying at the resort for the remainder of our trip. There were a couple of instances where I thought we were literally going to have to fight with these guys in the Bavaro Plaza area to leave us alone. This was a real turn off for me as I didn't encounter these issues to this extreme on any of my prior trips. I think it's time to give PC a break and start venturing to other areas on the North Coast.

Well, it's time to get some more rest and, hopefully, something to eat. Also, I've got to cut the lawn, go grocery shopping, do laundry, pay bills, etc., etc,. etc. It's so great to be back home. LOL. See ya in Puerto Plata on the 19th.

May 31, 2005
jackquontee said:
However, one of the drawbacks of staying at the AI's is that you are given a wristband to wear while there to easily identify those people who are entitled to be on the property to begin with, as well as the services that accompany the "all inclusive" status. The downside is that the moment you walk off of the resort property, everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, knows you're a tourist. I wish they would give people a card or some other form of identification which can be worn around the neck so that you can take it off before venturing outside of the resort.
Wristband or not, locals will know whether you are a tourist or not. :tired:

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Not necessarily

Dragonfly32837, I am a mix of Cape Verdean (African) Portuguese, Mexican American, and Native American. I don't know how many times I've been told, on this and other trips, that I look Dominican. I admit that any time one enters a new environment most people who are local know whether or not you are from "their" area, but they wouldn't necessarily know whether or not I'm from another part of the DR.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Dragonfly32837 said:
Wristband or not, locals will know whether you are a tourist or not. :tired:
No wrist bands at the Sunscape in Cabezza do Toro. I think they are the only ones in the PC area that has none. PUJ is a good "home base" to go out to other areas. I have a good deal $$ at the place I stay soooooo I
just keep the room, and fly to different areas(quicker than the bus, and inexpensive) for a few days. That way you get an idea on what you want to see or do next trip down.
And the previous post, true, they KNOW who you are........

fernandodiaz

Mar 27, 2005
jackquontee said:
Dragonfly32837, I am a mix of Cape Verdean (African) Portuguese, Mexican American, and Native American. I don't know how many times I've been told, on this and other trips, that I look Dominican. I admit that any time one enters a new environment most people who are local know whether or not you are from "their" area, but they wouldn't necessarily know whether or not I'm from another part of the DR.[/QUOTE
Of course a dominican can tell if u r from their country or not! Dominicans can sniff tourists a mile off no matter where u r from!

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
some of the resorts will 'replace' your writsband for no charge if it breaks AND you have the remnants. If it were me, I would cut it off and keep the remnants to exchange at the end of my off-premises excursion.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
What I used to do was have them put it on so it was a bit big and then just wrestle my way out of it. A lot more comfortable to sleep too!!