Trip Suggestions-SDQ to La Romana

tnagz

Apr 28, 2003
Hello everyone,

My wife (29) and I (28) are planning a vacation and have just found a pretty good air fare flying into SDQ (July 10th) and out LRM (July 16th).

Neither of us have been to the DR before, so we are trying to balance our trip to meet both of our "vacation wants."

We are not sure where exactly we want to stay yet, which is why we need your suggestions. We plan on spending a day or so in SDQ, then heading East. We would like to see Punta Cana, La Romana, Sonoa Island, and Samana. Don't think we will rent a car, considering my wife was a little freaked out just driving around Tortola, which was nothing.

Me: Not too thrilled about AI's. Would like to see the country and meet its people, relax on a beach, snorkel/dive, surf, and take lots of photos, eat at different places, and meet new people. Would like a little nite life with folks our age, but don't care for cheesy discos.

Wife: All of the above, minus the diving and surfing part. Not so much the adventurest and really just wants to see pretty beaches and maybe some animals.

So, for a 6 day trip, are all these spots worth visiting, or do some offer the same thing as the other? For example, if Samana is similar to Punta Cana, is it worth going there? (Pics of Samana looked so cool though ;) )

If you can help me out with drive (ride) times (and prices) from town to town, and maybe even places to stay, that would be helpful. After the flight, we have about an $800 budget for accom's and food.

Thank you all for your help. Dr1.com has been an invaluable resource in our trip planning.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
tnagz said:
Hello everyone,

My wife (29) and I (28) are planning a vacation and have just found a pretty good air fare flying into SDQ (July 10th) and out LRM (July 16th).

Neither of us have been to the DR before, so we are trying to balance our trip to meet both of our "vacation wants."

We are not sure where exactly we want to stay yet, which is why we need your suggestions. We plan on spending a day or so in SDQ, then heading East. We would like to see Punta Cana, La Romana, Sonoa Island, and Samana. Don't think we will rent a car, considering my wife was a little freaked out just driving around Tortola, which was nothing.

Me: Not too thrilled about AI's. Would like to see the country and meet its people, relax on a beach, snorkel/dive, surf, and take lots of photos, eat at different places, and meet new people. Would like a little nite life with folks our age, but don't care for cheesy discos.

Wife: All of the above, minus the diving and surfing part. Not so much the adventurest and really just wants to see pretty beaches and maybe some animals.

So, for a 6 day trip, are all these spots worth visiting, or do some offer the same thing as the other? For example, if Samana is similar to Punta Cana, is it worth going there? (Pics of Samana looked so cool though ;) )

If you can help me out with drive (ride) times (and prices) from town to town, and maybe even places to stay, that would be helpful. After the flight, we have about an $800 budget for accom's and food.

Thank you all for your help. Dr1.com has been an invaluable resource in our trip planning.
All of the above places you mentioned are good picks....however if you are there for only one week, and are based in Punta Cana......I would focus on Samana area or La Romana. Trying to do it all would be TO much in one week. You can fly from PUJ to either spot(cheap) or take the bus. La Romana is old fashioned Dominican culture, great hotels, and is close to Bahibe, where you go out to Saona Isle. That is a trip NOT to be missed. Samana is nice too, but a little harder to get to. You have to fly to SDQ then up to Las Terrenas airport. It's then a trip of combined pick-up trucks and cabs to get to Samana town, unless ofcoarse you stay in Las Terrenas. You really need 3 days to do this from PC. If you stay at an AI in Punta Cana, check with your hotel for Apple. They have a Saona trip, bus, etc which is the way to go. I have been 5 or 6 times, last year I think it was 80US. It's a LONG day, lots of sun and fun....and TONS of RUM. I would advise staying in the night before, or at least "take it easy" Have a great time, you will, either way you go....

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
ggn420 said:
All of the above places you mentioned are good picks....however if you are there for only one week, and are based in Punta Cana......I would focus on Samana area or La Romana. Trying to do it all would be TO much in one week. You can fly from PUJ to either spot(cheap) or take the bus. La Romana is old fashioned Dominican culture, great hotels, and is close to Bahibe, where you go out to Saona Isle. That is a trip NOT to be missed. Samana is nice too, but a little harder to get to. You have to fly to SDQ then up to Las Terrenas airport. It's then a trip of combined pick-up trucks and cabs to get to Samana town, unless ofcoarse you stay in Las Terrenas. You really need 3 days to do this from PC. If you stay at an AI in Punta Cana, check with your hotel for Apple. They have a Saona trip, bus, etc which is the way to go. I have been 5 or 6 times, last year I think it was 80US. It's a LONG day, lots of sun and fun....and TONS of RUM. I would advise staying in the night before, or at least "take it easy" Have a great time, you will, either way you go....

I got to jump in on this one. AM hoping to get back down this fall...and have beeing thinking of going to some different spots. I have always been intregued with la romana...and have always wanted to do the saona trip. What would be the best way to get from say Boca chica (dont get on me for staying there..i have friends there)....to la romana...and then to saona? Someone the idea of piling on a boat with a bunch of drunken euro tourists is not my idea of how i would like to do saona. I think someone once recommended getting to bahibe...and from there you can hire someone to boat you out there (what whould that cost??) also...is there any decent night life in la romana? (not hooker joints) Also..do you have any recomendations for affordable hotels? (i usualy spend USD 40)

thanks in advance for any advise.

Oh...to the OP....800 is gonna be cutting it tight for TWO people...considering that is including your lodging. You can do it tho....you have time to do your research

tnagz

Apr 28, 2003
Thanks

Oh...to the OP....800 is gonna be cutting it tight for TWO people...considering that is including your lodging. You can do it tho....you have time to do your research

Cool, thanks. I figured it would be close.

How is Juan Dolio for the first night? I just checked my Hilton rewards points and I have a free night at the Embassy Suites. Any comments? Keep in mind, it's FREE! :nervous:
Embassy Suites

Is Juan Dolio close enough to Santo Domingo to be able to explore it from here? I read it's 30m minutes from Santo Domingo. We land in SDQ at 2:45pm, Sunday. I was thinking: Land in SDQ; head to Juan Dolio, relax rest of day; next day, explore Santo Domingo, sleep in Juan Dolio again; then head East. Or do you think we just explore SDQ the same day we land and only stay in Juan Dolio one night, then head East?

Thanks again, my friends.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
If you travel between Juan Dolio and SDQ by bus, it is a good hour! Since you are scheduled to arrive at 2:45pm, I personally wouldnt make too many plans for that day as far as sightseeing goes, since your flight vould potentially be delayed..also, take into account the time spent in line to purchase your tourist card in Las Americas airport, baggage claim and finally clearing customs. You could certainly head to Juan Dolio for the night though...enjoy!

fernandodiaz

Mar 27, 2005
tnagz said:

Cool, thanks. I figured it would be close.

How is Juan Dolio for the first night? I just checked my Hilton rewards points and I have a free night at the Embassy Suites. Any comments? Keep in mind, it's FREE! :nervous:
Embassy Suites

Is Juan Dolio close enough to Santo Domingo to be able to explore it from here? I read it's 30m minutes from Santo Domingo. We land in SDQ at 2:45pm, Sunday. I was thinking: Land in SDQ; head to Juan Dolio, relax rest of day; next day, explore Santo Domingo, sleep in Juan Dolio again; then head East. Or do you think we just explore SDQ the same day we land and only stay in Juan Dolio one night, then head East?

Thanks again, my friends.

Sounds like a really busy trip! DR is VERY HOT to be travelling around so much !!! Juan Dolio is more like a good hour from Santo Domingo and if you land at 2:45 that won't leave much time for exploring SDQ that day - takes a good hour to get out of the airport, etc. I think you would be better exploring SDQ next day and then heading east.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Isla de Saona

jrzyguy said:
I got to jump in on this one. AM hoping to get back down this fall...and have beeing thinking of going to some different spots. I have always been intregued with la romana...and have always wanted to do the saona trip. What would be the best way to get from say Boca chica (dont get on me for staying there..i have friends there)....to la romana...and then to saona? Someone the idea of piling on a boat with a bunch of drunken euro tourists is not my idea of how i would like to do saona. I think someone once recommended getting to bahibe...and from there you can hire someone to boat you out there (what whould that cost??) also...is there any decent night life in la romana? (not hooker joints) Also..do you have any recomendations for affordable hotels? (i usualy spend USD 40)

thanks in advance for any advise.

Getting to La Romana or Bayahibe from Boca Chica(tehe) should be no problem, I would think that buses run along Rt3. I don't know if you can hire someone other that a tour agency to take you out to Saona. They are VERY strict about the area, because it is wildlife preserve and a historical indian site. I'm sure is is controlled via payoff to the government, from what I could see, very organized. Never stayed overnight in town, but there are plenty of places, and LOTS of night action with a very different Dominican flavor. Boca to La Romana is about 120km and Bayahibe is very close to town, about 15 min.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
ggn420 said:
Getting to La Romana or Bayahibe from Boca Chica(tehe) should be no problem, I would think that buses run along Rt3. I don't know if you can hire someone other that a tour agency to take you out to Saona. They are VERY strict about the area, because it is wildlife preserve and a historical indian site. I'm sure is is controlled via payoff to the government, from what I could see, very organized. Never stayed overnight in town, but there are plenty of places, and LOTS of night action with a very different Dominican flavor. Boca to La Romana is about 120km and Bayahibe is very close to town, about 15 min.

Thanks...i have taken the guaguas all around...so i am sure there will be no problem with me getting to la romana for a night or even two.. I am definitely interested in some place with a decent night life, but dont want to stay in the capital...as i want to be near beaches etc. I am just trying to come up with some ideas for something a bit different on my next trip. I wish i could do a whole month and travel to the north...but i will only have 1.5 week...and i like to start off in B.C. as i have friends there that i enjoy seeing.

Now...to the OP....the airport isnt all that bad....if the luggage pick-up carrosel is working :) While you are checking in at your departure airport...ask to buy your tourist card from them. (one less line to deal with when you arrive at sdq). I have found that after i have got my baggage i wisk thru customs etc in just a few minutes.

Your choice between staying in S.D. or Juan Dolio is a bit tougher to answer. It really depends what you are looking for. I live and work in the NYC area...and personaly dont care to spend much time in a crowded city on vacation. ANd well...given your budget...and a free place to stay...i would probably opt for just staying in juan dolio before you head east. Cant say i really care for juan dolio. I have been there durring the day a few times...while it isnt as crowded as BC and there arent many vendors to hassle you...i just dont care for the beach all that much. If you are really interested in Santo Domingo....this is what i would do....check into your hotel in JD...and just chill your first night there...you might even have enough time for a dip in the sea. then take a guagua (bus) into the capital the next day....check out the zona colonial and other touristy stuff. Then go back to JD in the evening (as you got free digs). This can be a bit tricky tho if you dont speak the language tho. MInd you...you will want to make sure you are on an express bus!!! the hotel that you are staying at probably runs some day tours to the city...but that will cost ya...and you are on a tight budget for two.

Long story short...just stay in JD and travel east...if you enjoy the DR...then do S.D. on the next trip :bandit:

tnagz

Apr 28, 2003
jrzyguy said:
Now...to the OP....the airport isnt all that bad....if the luggage pick-up carrosel is working :) While you are checking in at your departure airport...ask to buy your tourist card from them. (one less line to deal with when you arrive at sdq). I have found that after i have got my baggage i wisk thru customs etc in just a few minutes.

Your choice between staying in S.D. or Juan Dolio is a bit tougher to answer. It really depends what you are looking for. I live and work in the NYC area...and personaly dont care to spend much time in a crowded city on vacation. ANd well...given your budget...and a free place to stay...i would probably opt for just staying in juan dolio before you head east. Cant say i really care for juan dolio. I have been there durring the day a few times...while it isnt as crowded as BC and there arent many vendors to hassle you...i just dont care for the beach all that much. If you are really interested in Santo Domingo....this is what i would do....check into your hotel in JD...and just chill your first night there...you might even have enough time for a dip in the sea. then take a guagua (bus) into the capital the next day....check out the zona colonial and other touristy stuff. Then go back to JD in the evening (as you got free digs). This can be a bit tricky tho if you dont speak the language tho. MInd you...you will want to make sure you are on an express bus!!! the hotel that you are staying at probably runs some day tours to the city...but that will cost ya...and you are on a tight budget for two.

Long story short...just stay in JD and travel east...if you enjoy the DR...then do S.D. on the next trip :bandit:

Thanks for the advice. We are from Atlanta, although smalll in size compared to NYC, I agree, I don't exactly want to spend a whole lot of time in a super busy city either. The Zona Colonial was exactly what I had in mind. I am going to take yours and the others' advice and chill in JD the first nite, tour SD the next day, then ???

I still cannot decide where to stay after that? I get naseaus when I think about staying at an AI. We'd rather have something more personal and not stay at 500+ room mega fortress. However, it seems that in order to stay right on the beach, you have to. Anyone know of any nice villas on/near the beach in Punta Cana area or La Romana, or is Samana an area more appropriate for this type of accomodation?

Thanks to all for your help!

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
tnagz said:
Thanks for the advice. We are from Atlanta, although smalll in size compared to NYC, I agree, I don't exactly want to spend a whole lot of time in a super busy city either. The Zona Colonial was exactly what I had in mind. I am going to take yours and the others' advice and chill in JD the first nite, tour SD the next day, then ???

I still cannot decide where to stay after that? I get naseaus when I think about staying at an AI. We'd rather have something more personal and not stay at 500+ room mega fortress. However, it seems that in order to stay right on the beach, you have to. Anyone know of any nice villas on/near the beach in Punta Cana area or La Romana, or is Samana an area more appropriate for this type of accomodation?

Thanks to all for your help!
You will find more small hotels with a personal touch in the Samana, Las Terrenas area, butttt have to fly fromSDQ to get there. It's a LONG way by bus. Option 2, stay at Cortecito which is a little Dominican fishing village with a lot of European influence. It's above Bavaro, about 20 min. from Punta Cana. Cortecito Inn would be a good choice, in town and across from the beach.....about 50US with breakfast.