Hurricane Dennis

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The southwestern provinces of the DR are expected to feel the impact of Tropical Storm Dennis as it makes it way west through the Caribbean. As of 11 am on Tuesday, 5 July, the storm was making its way from Puerto Rico headed in the direction of Barahona, in the southwest, and then on to Haiti, Jamaica and Cuba, according to its forecast track.

As of 11:30 am, in Santo Domingo am hearing some thunder and looks like rain is coming, but would think nothing more than the usual shower (a change from the light breezes and blue skies of this morning).

First reports indicate that the storm is clearly headed west will not affect Santo Domingo, the north coast nor the southeastern and eastern tourist areas.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Tropical Storm Dennis

11 AM EDT TUE JUL 05 2005

AT 11 AM EDT...1500Z...THE GOVERNMENT OF THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC HAS
ISSUED A TROPICAL STORM WATCH FOR THE SOUTH COAST OF THE DOMINICAN
REPUBLIC FROM BARAHONA WESTWARD AND THE GOVERNMENT OF HAITI HAS
ISSUED A TROPICAL STORM WATCH FOR THE SOUTHWEST PENINSULA OF HAITI
FROM THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC BORDER AND PORT-AU-PRINCE WESTWARD.
INTERESTS IN THE CENTRAL AND WESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA SHOULD MONITOR
THE PROGRESS OF THIS SYSTEM.

SATELLITE IMAGES INDICATE THAT TROPICAL DEPRESSION FOUR HAS
STRENGTHENED INTO A TROPICAL STORM. JULY 5 IS THE EARLIEST DATE ON
RECORD FOR 4 NAMED STORMS TO HAVE FORMED IN THE ATLANTIC BASIN.

AT 11 AM EDT...1500Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM DENNIS WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 13.3 NORTH... LONGITUDE 66.6 WEST OR ABOUT
355 MILES... 570 KM... SOUTH OF SAN JUAN PUERTO RICO.

DENNIS IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 18 MPH ...30
KM/HR...AND THIS GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE FOR THE
NEXT 24 HOURS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 40 MPH... 65 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. SOME STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 60 MILES
... 95 KM FROM THE CENTER.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1006 MB...29.71 INCHES.
REPEATING THE 11 AM EDT POSITION...13.3 N... 66.6 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 18 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS... 40 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1006 MB.

Next Advisory at 2pm.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Tropical storm Dennis is galloping past us toward the west-northwest near 20 mph...30 KM/h and this general motion is expected to continue for the next 24 hours.

Maximum sustained winds are near 40 MPH... 65 KM/h with higher gusts.

Dennis is sure dumping a lot of rain all over. Heard from Sosua a while ago and it is pouring down. I happen to be in La Vega and stepped out for lunch... it was raining so hard I could not get back into the office building. The cooler weather is a welcome change from the extreme heat over the past few days.

REPEATING THE 2 PM EDT POSITION...13.8 N... 67.6 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 20 MPH. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS... 40 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1006 MB.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The rains in Santo Domingo were an intense but short rainstorm. It quickly cleared up. It looks like more rain will come today, though.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
If nothing woke us up before, tropical storm Dennis is giving us a taste of the more active than normal hurricane season predicted for us.

Dennis is continuing to strengthen over the Central Caribbean sea.

A tropical storm warning and a hurricane watch are in effect for the SouthWestern Peninsula of Haiti from the Dominican Republic Border and Port-au-Prince Westward.

A tropical storm warning is in effect for the South coast of the Dominican Republic from Barahona westward to the Dominican Republic-Haiti Border.

Over the rest of the Caribbean, with Dennis strenghtening so rapidly and moving over the warm waters, Jamaica is taking no changes and a hurricane watch is in effect. The Government of the Cayman islands will likely issue a hurricane watch for all of the Cayman Islands later tonight.

At 8pm edt, the center of tropical storm Dennis was located near latitude 14.3 North...Longitude 68.5 West or about 385 miles or 625 Km SouthEast of Port au Prince, Haiti.

Dennis is barrelling in a West-Northwest direction near 16 MPH or 26 KM/HR. This general motion is expected to continue during the next 24 hours.

Maximum sustained winds are near 45 MPH...75KM/HR with higher gusts. Some strenghtening is forecast during the next 24 hours.

Tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 60 miles or 95 KM from the center.

Dennis is expected to produce rain accumulations of 4 to 6 inches over much of Hispaniola with isolated maximum amounts of 10 inces possible over mountainous terrain. These rains could cause flash floods and mud slides.

Here are some easy to read graphics.. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/211039.shtml?5day

shae

Jul 5, 2005
dennis

can anyone tell me the condition of the storm Dennis? my 15 year old son is now in constanza on a church missions trip , and we are concerned about this storm. he is supposed to fly out of Santo dominga on sat. to miami. please can anyone give me some information? thank you

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The storm is unlikely to be a major cause of concern for the Dominican Republic, as it is passing very well to the south. Your son should just avoid using the main Constanza road if it will be raining.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
At 5 AM EDT the center of tropical storm Dennis was located near latitude 15.1 North and Longitude 70.3 West or about 275 miles or 445 KM south-South-east of Port au Prince, Haiti.

Dennis is moving toward the West-NorthWest near 16 MPH or 26 KM/HR and this motion on track is expected to continue. Maximum sustained winds have increased to near 65 MPH or 100 KM/HR with higher gusts. Dennis could become a hurricane later in the day with Jamaica squarely in his sights.

For us, Dennis will produce rain and coolness. We'll watch him till he is way past our shores but for now, back to the wider Caribbean and Atlantic Weather Picture here ... http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40978

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Final update for us here in the DR.

AT 8 PM EDT...0000Z...THE GOVERNMENT OF THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC HAS
DISCONTINUED THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING FOR THE SOUTHERN COAST OF
THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. HOWEVER...STRONG SQUALLS WILL CONTINUE
TONIGHT AND MAY PRODUCE WIND GUSTS TO 40 MPH.

Dennis is on its way away from our shores. We wish the islands in its path the best of luck!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I got news for you

If any of you saw the satellite photos of Dennis on Channel 4 out of San Juan Puerto Rico, you willo certainly have noticed that Dennis covers all of the DR....

It has been raining torrentically here for the past hour and a half after gusty rains off and on most of the Afternoon.. most probably the leading edge bands that were more widely separated.. Now it is a steady downpour.

I expect flooding in the low-laying areas before dawn.

Stay dry folks..

HB :D

onvacation

Jun 5, 2006
I was on vacation in Ohio when Dennis came. I saw a live picture from the town I live in, Crestview, FL, of the Econo Lodge, and I saw the roof get ripped off of the hotel!