I may have destroyed my paradise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manda Dinero

Jun 27, 2005
I haven't slept in two days so forgive if i dont make sense but to make a long story short.... I rented a car in the DR and one of the tigeres i was hanging out with crashed my car. There is about 700 us in damages, and the car is in a ditch now.

I do not know what to do because i remember signing something for 100,000 pesos if i destroy the car.

Please advise what am i up against.

Sylvester

Jan 19, 2004
Manda Dinero said:
I haven't slept in two days so forgive if i dont make sense but to make a long story short.... I rented a car in the DR and one of the tigeres i was hanging out with crashed my car. There is about 700 us in damages, and the car is in a ditch now.

I do not know what to do because i remember signing something for 100,000 pesos if i destroy the car.

$100,000 pesos is about $3450 USD. You say the damage is $700 USD. It is cheaper to fix the car and say nothing to the rental company.

Next time rent the car with the zero deductable. Better an extra $15 a day than what you are going through now. Further, dont let anyone who is not on the rental agreement drive your rented car. Doing so renders your contract null and void in situations such as this.

Count your blessings, it could have been a lot worse. Your sankie could have wrote the car off and/or hit someone. Then you would have a lot more than $700 to worry about.

Manda Dinero

Jun 27, 2005
Sylvester said:
$100,000 pesos is about $3450 USD. You say the damage is $700 USD. It is cheaper to fix the car and say nothing to the rental company.

Next time rent the car with the zero deductable. Better an extra $15 a day than what you are going through now. Further, dont let anyone who is not on the rental agreement drive your rented car. Doing so renders your contract null and void in situations such as this.

Count your blessings, it could have been a lot worse. Your sankie could have wrote the car off and/or hit someone. Then you would have a lot more than $700 to worry about.

Well Sylvester if it only could be all so simple..but there is more to the story. The truth is, that i already skipped town because i feared that the whole accident was a setup to get money from me. So instead of spending the night in an area that is foreign to me and risk being robbed. I decided to skip town, and say nothing to the agency.

The Sanky has the car located in a ditch located outside his residence. What i want to know is what should i tell the agency considering that i am already gone.

Last edited:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
They did get a credit card as security right? They'll charge it under the rental agreement.

Also note to others the previous advice of the extreme stupidity of having anything to do with Dominican guys who speak english "helping you" is illustrated herewith. I thought the main point was not getting into their cars - never figured people would let the tigres drive their cars. Well, a new low.

Pay the $700 and get it fixed. If the "other" is they killed someone get a lawyer. What you signed you are on the hook for up to 100,000 pesos, obviously if you knocked the mirror off they are not charging 100,000 pesos every time there is a dent.

Manda Dinero

Jun 27, 2005
ricktoronto said:
They did get a credit card as security right? They'll charge it under the rental agreement.

Also note to others the previous advice of the extreme stupidity of having anything to do with Dominican guys who speak english "helping you" is illustrated herewith. I thought the main point was not getting into their cars - never figured people would let the tigres drive their cars. Well, a new low.

Pay the $700 and get it fixed. If the "other" is they killed someone get a lawyer. What you signed you are on the hook for up to 100,000 pesos, obviously if you knocked the mirror off they are not charging 100,000 pesos every time there is a dent.

Well they provisonally charged my debit card, but i took all the money out of the account.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Manda Dinero said:
Well in timex's thread, i skipped immediately to step 3 of his advice.
You should call them up and tell them what happened and that you panicked and find out how much it will cost to make things right.
Hopefully you can do this before the cops get involved or you could be facing much more than just a car repair bill.

As long as they do not try to take advantage of the situation, don't you feel any desire to accept responsibility?

Hopefully the sanky has not sold the car already or done more damage, in which case, you had better never return.

Where did you get this $700 estimate?
Perhaps it is much higher now.

What kind of car was it?
If it is a nice car, or even if they just think you have the means to pay, it may be worth their while to go after you for the damages and associated costs.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Some people!

Manda Dinero said:

Have you ever heard of not letting anybody drive your car?.

I will advice you to confront the situation because it will be much worse for you in the long run. I gave my friend Francisco the same advice a few years back when he had THE SAME thing happen to him while he was on vacation.

Care to know what they did to him?. Since they had all his information, they put a "impedimento de salida" (blocked him from leaving the country). They got him when he tried to leave the country and, BIMGO, he spent 15 days in jail. Not even my father and all his connections could do anything for him. Some just refused to help to teach him a moral lesson. A few pounds and a few beatings later, he was let go and his family ended up paying about 50 times more than if he had just paid the fricking thing from the beginning!.

My only question was: Can they do that, you know, the impedimento, for such thing?. I guess they can.

I hope that you do the right thing. It's your fault so face your responsability like a man/female!. If not, whatever comes your way will be your fault!.

daddy1

Feb 27, 2004
You need to call the agency immediately!...before you make things worse!

Call the Rental company immediately and speak with the manager, this will determine if you need to work a payment plan or seek legal advice, because the biggest mistake you have made was abandoning the vehicle!...you may even have to tell them that your vehicle was stolen, I mean were the police there to make an accident report or something! if they did..call the rental company immediately and tell them where the vehicle is! they can send there towing guy to go get it..if not they can charge you for grand theft auto, because right now, you are considered as being overdue on your return, and if they don't here from you... they will call the police and report there car stolen!...I tell you this because I'm a manager for a major Rental car company here in Orlando Florida..some customers try to pull this stunt all the time especially when they have un-authorized drivers such in your case, but we want to at least recover our vehicle, either way all of our vehicles are covered with or without your insurance or personal finances but if it is lost..we have to file it as missing or stolen.. and if someone else has picked it up you will fork up the bill for the whole vehicle! forget about $700 dollars your going to pay $27,000 if you don't recover that vehicle.. don't make a difficult situation worse be a man and take responsibility for your action...if this was done in D.R. your passport or license may be confiscated and suspended, to prevent you from leaving the country...either way seek legal console your going to need it especially if that car is missing! well good luck.!

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Manda Dinero said:

Why not go the easy way?...........

Just report it stolen ..........the easiest way out.......I am sure you have theft coverage in the insurance.

Just say an american stole it while you were treating your sankie to some Presidentes......lol

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Manda Dinero said:
Well they provisonally charged my debit card, but i took all the money out of the account.
with that kind of screen name sankiebanky.com must be making a fortune with you.

Manda Dinero

Jun 27, 2005
Im thinking the best thing to do is to report the call stolen and and try to make payment arrangements with them as long it is reasonable.

The attempting to block me from leaving DR is moot because I am already gone. The thing is that I don't want to be in a situation whereas i cannot ever enter or leave the country again. I am willing to take responsibility, but i had to leave so that i can make the arrangements on my terms.

Sylvester

Jan 19, 2004
Ay Dio Mios !

Manda Dinero said:
Well Sylvester if it only could be all so simple..but there is more to the story. The truth is, that i already skipped town because i feared that the whole accident was a setup to get money from me. So instead of spending the night in an area that is foreign to me and risk being robbed. I decided to skip town, and say nothing to the agency.

The Sanky has the car located in a ditch located outside his residence. What i want to know is what should i tell the agency considering that i am already gone.

Why did you come here asking for advice if you already skipped town ? You just made a bad situation worse. You have done everything wrong ! Was this your first time renting a car or what ? You were in a country of notorious bad drivers and you didnt think to get insurance ? Then you just skip town and leave the car in the ditch ?

Rest assured even if the rental company has in fact recovered the car, they are not likely to tell you that. You are now most likely on the hook for the entire car.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Manda Dinero said:
Im thinking the best thing to do is to report the call stolen and and try to make payment arrangements with them as long it is reasonable.

The attempting to block me from leaving DR is moot because I am already gone. The thing is that I don't want to be in a situation whereas i cannot ever enter or leave the country again. I am willing to take responsibility, but i had to leave so that i can make the arrangements on my terms.

This may be a good thing as long as you do take responsibility. Justice in the DR is sometimes a little rough. I would suggest that you now call the rental car company, come clean with the real story and pay what you've destroyed.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I agree with Chris.
If you are out of the country, and want to take responsibility, then you should call the car rental, tell them the story as it was, and come to an agreement with them.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
A little late for ALL the advise, wouldn't you say??
Report it stolen, sounds like the best way to go...

Sylvester

Jan 19, 2004
Manda Dinero said:

You skipped town and left their car damaged in a ditch. Rest assured they will come after you for more that $700 USD. Obviously you were unwilling to part with $700 so why are you now talking about wanting to make restitution. Considering your actions, do you think the rental company is going to play nice with you ? They are going to milk it for all they can get.

Just how badly do you want to be able to return to the DR ? Either find a new vacation destination or be prepared to pay mucho dinero for that rental car.

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
You stated that the last time you saw the car it was stuck in a ditch somewhere, how do you know that your "tiguere" friend has not stripped it and sold it off bit by bit by now? Or worst, what if another tiguere friend of his pulled it out of the ditch and used it to comit a crime.

If I were you, I would seek legal advice.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
legal actions goes both ways...

If the person left credit card info etc when renting the car, signed contract and so on... the car rental would be able to find the person even if he/she left the country? Isn?t it so??
Is it that "easy" just to destroy a car, not leave it back, and just go home????

I don?t know how the legal work functions between countries, but it would be possible to car rental seeks legal action???

Anyone knows about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.