Paying club/bar bill

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
In preparation for my upcoming trip to POP I was curious about an issue that I've encountered when I've traveled to Punta Cana. I've noticed when in PC that any time I've gone out, whether it be to a bar or club, that the establishment has always run a tab as opposed to letting me pay for each round of drinks as they are served. My suspicion has always been that they do this so that they can pad the tab. Is this typical in the DR or have I just always been the tourist victim/sucker when I've gone out in PC?

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
jackquontee said:
In preparation for my upcoming trip to POP I was curious about an issue that I've encountered when I've traveled to Punta Cana. I've noticed when in PC that any time I've gone out, whether it be to a bar or club, that the establishment has always run a tab as opposed to letting me pay for each round of drinks as they are served. My suspicion has always been that they do this so that they can pad the tab. Is this typical in the DR or have I just always been the tourist victim/sucker when I've gone out in PC?

Pay as you go. I was with friends and walking to the bar and everytime I sat down they added it to the bill as well. They will pad it like crazy.

Nov 5, 2004
Jimmydr said:
Pay as you go. I was with friends and walking to the bar and everytime I sat down they added it to the bill as well. They will pad it like crazy.

You must be speaking of PC in particular?

Now I am speaking of the small town of Luperon particualrly, BUT...they are very good with their tab keeping...sometimes they don't even charge you for things if they are busy..and if you point it out..the just shrug and say no big deal.

ONCE I was charged over..for one extra beer..and she gave me 2 free beers the next night :D

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
PeachezNcream84 said:
You must be speaking of PC in particular?

Now I am speaking of the small town of Luperon particualrly, BUT...they are very good with their tab keeping...sometimes they don't even charge you for things if they are busy..and if you point it out..the just shrug and say no big deal.

ONCE I was charged over..for one extra beer..and she gave me 2 free beers the next night :D

No sosua.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I like to run a tab and have never had any problems.
None that I noticed anyways. I do try to keep track.
Actually, now that I think about it, I did have one waiter try to charge me for 4 drinks when it was only 3.
I could understand if the numbers were much higher but 3 to 4?

Jack, were your suspicions ever correct?

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Never run a tab at an unfamiliar locale... anywhere.. it just opens you up to padding the bill.. nothing typically DR about it.. just see how you do in NYC on a night out in the club while running a tab as an obvious tourist..

Pay by the round and you'll be better off..

There are honest and dishonest barmen all around the world..

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Don't know for sure

Malibook, I never made an effort to try and determine whether or not the tab had been padded because I figured I'd be on the losing end no matter what. So, when I travel I just pay the bills and move on. But I just thought it odd when they'd insist on running a tab as opposed to my paying per round. Another thing they did that made me wonder is when they'd bring drinks that I had not even ordered. In fact, at one point I had to tell the guy not to bring any drinks unless I specifically asked for them, otherwise they'd just continue to bring them to the table.

And, MD, I don't believe either that this type of practice is exclusive to the DR. That is why I asked if it was typical in the DR as opposed to being exclusive to the DR. I have noticed this practice in Mexico also. I, too, have been to some places here in the US that are highly suspect as well. The only difference, I think, is that when in the US you, more often than not, have some sort of recourse when there is a problem. In the DR it seems that you are really at their mercy, and mercy seems to be a novelty idea there.

project9

May 29, 2004
Pay as you order, most places will add a few drinks you never had to the bill no matter the region of the country ...

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
More than likely

their desire to run a tab instead of taking payment for each round is a matter of simple laziness (or "labor effenciency" if you want to look at the glass as half full). I personally don't like to run a tab in a place I'm not known. If they insisted, I think I'd just "insist back", threatening to take my business elsewhere.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
project9 said:
Pay as you order, most places will add a few drinks you never had to the bill no matter the region of the country ...
Not true, most places are honest, some are dishonest.

Ricktoronto, please no wise*** comments:)

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Personally I think it is more a matter of who you are dealing with. My experience has been that it is hit and miss in each place. Any given night can be fine other nights a mess. It depends on the individual. I have found they simply get busy, confused, lazy or maybe greedy. I check the bill no matter where I am!!!!! Even if I am well known, they make mistakes unintentionally many times.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
I find that running a tab is the custom in this country.
Maybe due to laziness or efficiency. It's a pain to figure the tax and service on every round (even if they don't pay it).
Certainly there is oppurtunity for a dishonest mistake. Check your tab before you pay it.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Develop a relationship with your bartender, make sure he/she values your business (tip well) and you rarely have to worry about the tab being padded if at all.

Until then pay as you go, and when you do start running a tab try to at least pretend youre examining it before paying it. (even if you're to drunk to actually read it)

Nobody feels bad about ripping off stupid, arrogant tourists, so above all don't be one of these and you will avoid most problems.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
At a lot

Nelly said:
A little tip: keep your empties on the table until you are done.

of Dominican places I've been, especially if you are drinking beer, the empty bottles on the table are your "tab". This includes most carwashes, calmados, and small bars. One carwash in Nagua has custom made tables with a rack on the bottom to store the empties so the tabletop doesn't get cluttered. I'm having a fond recollection now of myself and a 95 lb cutie on the malecon in Samana at 2 AM, with 11 empty grandes on the table. Even fonder memories of what followed. ;) Yes, I remember it all!

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
sweetdbt said:
of Dominican places I've been, especially if you are drinking beer, the empty bottles on the table are your "tab". This includes most carwashes, calmados, and small bars. One carwash in Nagua has custom made tables with a rack on the bottom to store the empties so the tabletop doesn't get cluttered. I'm having a fond recollection now of myself and a 95 lb cutie on the malecon in Samana at 2 AM, with 11 empty grandes on the table. Even fonder memories of what followed. ;) Yes, I remember it all!

The emptied beer and rum bottles on a table is to show off how much they have drank and can afford and not necessarily for bill payment purpose. Also, many established me don't allow the stack up of bottles for fear of bottle fights.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I can see the logic

Stodgord said:
The emptied beer and rum bottles on a table is to show off how much they have drank and can afford and not necessarily for bill payment purpose. Also, many established me don't allow the stack up of bottles for fear of bottle fights.

In your last sentence, and I don't doubt some Dominicans take pride in how much they drink. But when the waiter accepts no money from me all evening, then comes to the table, counts the bottles, and tells me how much I owe, I think the purpose is pretty clear! ;)

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Good advice

However, another thing I've noticed is that they tend to bring a check that indicates the total price, rather than a breakdown of what was actually consumed. Just a thought. I will take the advice suggesting that I pay as I go. I don't like to accuse anybody of anything unless I have real proof. But, it certainly seems suspicious. Well, I'll be in POP in just over a week, so I'll have the opportunity to put these suggestions to use. Thanks everyone.

Nov 5, 2004
jackquontee said:
However, another thing I've noticed is that they tend to bring a check that indicates the total price, rather than a breakdown of what was actually consumed. Just a thought. I will take the advice suggesting that I pay as I go. I don't like to accuse anybody of anything unless I have real proof. But, it certainly seems suspicious. Well, I'll be in POP in just over a week, so I'll have the opportunity to put these suggestions to use. Thanks everyone.

Ya..if they are just bring you a cheque without the breakdown I would be careful....

Where I go they usually write it down as you order it so that they don't forget either...

I know all the people very well where I usually go out though, so they are not going to try to over charge me.

If I am headed to a place where I don't know them ,and they don't know me, I would either pay after each dirnk, or pay really close attention...(and if you are planning to drink alot it may be harder to keep track.)

However alot of the nicer bars & discos, on the North Coast anyways, take payment after each round of drinks as the norm.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
jackquontee said:

Jack,

I think you've made the right choice.. now having said that I also have the experience that by and large most Dominicans are honest and proud people that will not be out to rob you.. unfortunately those are not the Dominicans a tourist in POP would likely encounter ;)