Dominicans in Arizona.. Where are you!?

NYCDominican

Jul 8, 2005
www.myspace.com
My family and I moved here from NYC 8 months ago, we have slowly convinced members of our family to move here too. We would really like to get together with other Dominicans but not sure where to look. Also I would like to know if any business establishments have been opened by Dominicans (dominican food, hair salons, etc?)

How are dominicans moving here to arizona able to find the products and services they are used to?

Let me know. Thanks

Last edited:

DRgirlinAZ

Nov 21, 2005
Dominican in Arizona

Hey there NYCDominican, I'm a fellow New York City Dominican. My family and I moved here from New Jersey in October, 2004. Interesting you should ask about the Dominican population out here. There are lots of East Coasters out here and they miss our Dominican food. Thinking about opening up a "Floridita" style Dominican restaurant. Shoot me an email, interested in hearing how you guys are adjusting to Arizona.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ity must be interesting, that's for sure.
Yes, there are several Dominicans there in Arizona. Dr. Severino is there and working with doctors here in Santiago. Ozzie Virgil--father and son-- are there..

The cuisine is domininated by Mexxican fare (and centralamerican stuff as well)

My wife nixxed (BIIGTIME) a move to go there for two years. Saw pictures of the place (Phoenix) and said "No way I'm leaving the greenery of Santiago, even for all that money, and live in that ugly place!!"

I'll get Severino's contact infor for you if you want.

HB :D:D:D

mercp74

Feb 11, 2007
We are here!!!

Hello,

I am a Dominican from NY and along w/about 200 other dominicans in the east valley. We all live around Mesa, Gilbert and Queen Creek area. We have family members with a car dealer, Allstate insurance agencies(3) and a restaurant in scottsdale serving dominican cuisine on thurs and sundays. Shoot me an e-mail if you'd like to meet or talk: krystal1love@yahoo.com;)

KlingPHX

Feb 19, 2007
Hello Krystal,

If by any chance you still reside in AZ, would you mind sharing your knowledge of any good hair dressers that you have been privy to?

I moved to AZ approximately ten years ago from NYC, and have been blessed to call the North East Valley home since then. Although I love living here in sunny AZ, I miss the essence of what makes our culture so unique: the food, our great music, and the feeling you get when you surrounded by a close Dominican community.

I have had a Puerto Rican hairstylist who was ironically from NYC as well, but he will be moving to CA for the opportunity of a lifetime. So although I am a ten year AZ veteran, I feel like I am starting from scratch all over again when it comes to my hair care needs. Any feedback you may have would definitely be appreciated and welcomed.

Best Regards,
Jacqueline

blkricanpapi85

Mar 30, 2009
Im new to arizona

I just moved here from Los Angeles, CA. Im puerto rican and black but I think of Domincans as my brothers and sisters too. I just wanted to know If there was any rican/ domincan presence in Phoenix, AZ. I live in Glendale.

BoricuaMami623

May 4, 2009
I am Puerto Rican but have always been around Dominicans. I have run into a few out here in Surprise & El Mirage. I have heard that a couple of Dominican guys work at the barber shop down the street from me. I would def like to meet some people. It would be nice to be around people that are more like me

azreal

May 8, 2009
Dominican Restaurant?

There was mention of a Dominican restaurant in Scottsdale? Could someone give me more info on that, or any other restaurant in the east valley? My fiance (he's dominican I am not) moved here for me and I know he misses the food and having his family and friends around. I would love to be able to find a place to take him as a surprise!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mangu Entertainment

May 12, 2009

dominicanny2az

Jun 5, 2009
Hello!! My name is Karen, my dominican husband my two kids and I moved from nyc to az 10 months ago, im not dominican I am from Peru but I 've always been around dominicans. Sometimes I think I am more dominican than him since he does not like to dance and I love it. Anyway I found a hair dresser dominican of course in 5710 West Bell Road Suite #20 Glendale, az. I hope you find this helpfull. Her number is 623-9861295....It is a big salon boutique with many little hair stylist's rooms.This is nopt a scam I found her online,cause I love dominican dressers,my mother in law has a beauty salon in ny so that is how I know they are good with hair.

LAHAITIANA

Jun 28, 2009
Dominicana in El Mirage, AZ

Today, marks the 7th anniversary of relocating to Arizona from the Lower East Side of Manhattan in NYC. I like living and working here in Arizona but miss my roots and tough streets of NY. Here in Arizona, it is so hard to locate Dominican products and god help you if need a hair dresser with "REAL" experience with our beautiful thick hair. I personally, live in El Mirage and have yet to find a hair stylist that can do my hair right. As far as the food goes, unless I cook it we don't eat a Dominican meal. Here in the West Valley there is no catering to us Dominican. If someone can direct me to a good eating place, hair stylist and supermarket that has Dominican products, please email me back. I would really appreciate it. Y que Viva Quisqueya" Dominicans forever..........

LAHAITIANA

Jun 28, 2009
thanks

Hello!! My name is Karen, my dominican husband my two kids and I moved from nyc to az 10 months ago, im not dominican I am from Peru but I 've always been around dominicans. Sometimes I think I am more dominican than him since he does not like to dance and I love it. Anyway I found a hair dresser dominican of course in 5710 West Bell Road Suite #20 Glendale, az. I hope you find this helpfull. Her number is 623-9861295....It is a big salon boutique with many little hair stylist's rooms.This is nopt a scam I found her online,cause I love dominican dressers,my mother in law has a beauty salon in ny so that is how I know they are good with hair.

Hey Karen

Thanks for the info.........Rosie

Kouklasou

Oct 20, 2009
I'm moving to Glendale

I just moved here from Los Angeles, CA. Im puerto rican and black but I think of Domincans as my brothers and sisters too. I just wanted to know If there was any rican/ domincan presence in Phoenix, AZ. I live in Glendale.

I am a Dominican girl moving to Glendale next week! I am looking for a Dominican hairstylist and markets etc.
I saw a post about the Liberty Barber shop on Main in La Mirage but can't find the info online.
Anyway, I see that you are in Glendale too and wonder if you had much luck?
Anyone?:ermm:
kouklasou@yahoo.com

Last edited:

perlanegra

Feb 4, 2005
Check out DominicanFlave.com

She's based in Arizona, cooks, paints, makes Dominican cakes, a Dominican embassador there!

Mangu Entertainment

May 12, 2009
You can find more information at
MySpace.com - Mang? Ent. ?? - 98 - Male - SCOTTSDALE, Arizona - Mang? Ent. ?? (Mang? Ent.) | MySpace
www.dominicanflave.com

Dominican festival in Phoenix is usually the third Sartuday or Sunday in February.

La Taverna
2515 N. Scottsdale Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85257
480-947-8059 ****************New Number**************
call in advance and make reservation

La Taverna also has a Latin night on Saturdays will meet most of the Dominicans that live here there.

Baseball games on sundays too

tanyacmdn

Sep 24, 2010
Dominica Salami in Arizona

Hello People,

I just moved form NJ and I am looking for a place that sales dominican salami in addition to other dominican products. Does any know? Please contact me by phone at 609-665-3125

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Is true that the Arizona State doesn't have theses environmental "clean air" emission rules we have here in NC???
Do you have to take your vehicle to DMV inspection every year?

JJ

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Is true that the Arizona State doesn't have theses environmental "clean air" emission rules we have here in NC???
Do you have to take your vehicle to DMV inspection every year?

They sure do.....and only if your vehicle has reached a certain age.

Current emission Rules Vehicles Exempt from Testing
* Automobiles that are less than five years old do not need to be tested.
* Alternative fuel automobiles whose model years fall after 2003 do not need to be tested.
* Automobiles that were made before 1967 do not need to be tested.
* Vehicles that are apportioned, or licensed in more than one state, do not need to be tested.
* Vehicles powered by electricity, golf carts, and those that do not displace more than 90ccs do not need to be tested.
* Leased vehicles that commute into the designated areas do not need to be tested.
* Wholesale dealer vehicles do not need to be tested.

Hope this helps.....

B in Santiago formally Phoenix 30 years

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
They sure do.....and only if your vehicle has reached a certain age.

Current emission Rules Vehicles Exempt from Testing
* Automobiles that are less than five years old do not need to be tested.
* Alternative fuel automobiles whose model years fall after 2003 do not need to be tested.
* Automobiles that were made before 1967 do not need to be tested.
* Vehicles that are apportioned, or licensed in more than one state, do not need to be tested.
* Vehicles powered by electricity, golf carts, and those that do not displace more than 90ccs do not need to be tested.
* Leased vehicles that commute into the designated areas do not need to be tested.
* Wholesale dealer vehicles do not need to be tested.

Hope this helps.....

B in Santiago formally Phoenix 30 years

Theses rules are different from state / state... For example here in NC if have a vehicle 2000 or late year and it fail to pass the the inspection for any reason you are to fix it right away if want to renew the registration.
On 1999 and older they are to pass the emission test if one or two comp. monitor are incomplete but never with the Malfunction lamp on.
My pickup truck has an OB2 system malfunction and for this reason it won't pass the inspection.
I'm driving my truck under a permit with no license plate in order to get it fixed but if next time I take it to the inspection it don't pass I will apply for an emission test waiver bringing with me all receipts of parts and labor from certificate service repair shop, must be at least $ 200. bucks .

El asunto es buscarle la vuelta al problema!!!

JJ