La Union, Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwight

Oct 2, 2004
This is probably a silly question for those of you living on the north coast...but I could use your help.On my last visit a "friend" told me she lived in Puerto Plata. The address she gave me is apt.xxx, etc. Frente al Aeropuerto, La Union, Sosua.

Is this a Sosua address...or Puerto Plata address? I know Puerto Plata has an airport...what about Sosua?

Thanks

Dwight

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Dwight,
Puerto Plata is a province as well as a City. The Puerto Plata airport is basically in La Union which is a community about 10 mins from Sosua on the road between Sosua and the city of Puerto Plata.
Hope this helps,
Nelly

Dwight said:
This is probably a silly question for those of you living on the north coast...but I could use your help.On my last visit a "friend" told me she lived in Puerto Plata. The address she gave me is apt.xxx, etc. Frente al Aeropuerto, La Union, Sosua.

Is this a Sosua address...or Puerto Plata address? I know Puerto Plata has an airport...what about Sosua?

Thanks

Dwight

Loidin

Jul 9, 2005
My dear: :bandit:
Sosua and La Union are towns that belongs to the Puerto Plata Province...
Checkout a map to find that address... and keep u well ubicated.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The Puerto Plata airport is actually closer to Sosua than to Puerto Plata. La Union is on the opposite side of the highway as the airport, and is very close to the entrance to the airport.

Sosua, Puerto Plata, and La Union are all in the Province of Puerto Plata.

I don't know that I would all La Union a town. It is more like a very large residential area.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Dwight said:

Thanks

Dwight

The adress is correct.. she lives in PoP province, La Union is a community directly in front of the Aeropeurto Juan Luperon aka PoP airport..

Btw, if you want to visit her make sure you drive a 4X4.. that stretch of road is one of the worst in on the North Coast ;)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
All of the answers above are correct.
I might add that La Union is considered part of Sosua.
The borderline to the next town West of us, is just West of the airport/airforce base, and it's called Cangrejo, then a bit farther West, it becomes Montellano, then farther West again, it becomes Puerto Plata.

Dwight

Oct 2, 2004
Thanks to everyone for helping with the address question. I was confused because the address seemed to have two "towns" as part of the address...instead of the usual street/apt.#, town and country that I'm used to. I found other addresses I asked for to be somewhat unusual as well...

Dwight

Loidin

Jul 9, 2005
Wineclubs said:
Isn't La union a Barrio?

Originally La Union is the name of the Air Force Base, then the Gregorio Luperon International Airport was called La Union first. La Union goverment proyect buildings are 5 minutes away outside the airport as if going to Sosua direction....

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Wineclubs said:
Isn't La union a Barrio?
Yes. It is a barrio (suburb) of Sosua.
Originally built approx. 11 years ago, to house the people who live in the Charamicos ghetto, called El Tablon.
Unfortunately, a corrupt governor at the time sold the apartments off to friends & aquaintances.
When Balaguer came up to inaugurate the opening and found out what had happened, he left in a huff, and the rest of the story, we'll never know for sure, but El Tablon is still there, the number 1 ghetto on the North coast.

Loidin

Jul 9, 2005
Rocky said:
Originally built approx. 11 years ago, to house the people who live in the Charamicos ghetto, called El Tablon. Unfortunately, a corrupt governor at the time sold the apartments off to friends & aquaintances. When Balaguer came up to inaugurate the opening and found out what had happened, he left in a huff, and the rest of the story, we'll never know for sure, but El Tablon is still there, the number 1 ghetto on the North coast.

This is the correct way to teach history for people like me (how hates History)
Thanks for the resume, i was almost to ask about the suburbs in La Union.

hollywood north

Dec 11, 2002
www.cybersecretary.ca
Thanks for the info regarding those buildings that are like a ghetto. I always wondered who they were intended for and they remind me of similar in NYC....T.O.....
blocks of cement surrounded by nothing. Someone coined them filing cabinets for people.

Victor Laszlo

Bronze
Aug 24, 2004
Rocky said:
Originally built approx. 11 years ago, to house the people who live in the Charamicos ghetto, called El Tablon.
Unfortunately, a corrupt governor at the time sold the apartments off to friends & aquaintances.
When Balaguer came up to inaugurate the opening and found out what had happened, he left in a huff, and the rest of the story, we'll never know for sure, but El Tablon is still there, the number 1 ghetto on the North coast.
Where in Charamicos is El Tablon located?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
hollywood north said:
Thanks for the info regarding those buildings that are like a ghetto. I always wondered who they were intended for and they remind me of similar in NYC....T.O.....
blocks of cement surrounded by nothing. Someone coined them filing cabinets for people.
I may not have explained it properly, but La Union certainly is NOT a ghetto.
It was built, as tenament housing, to get people out of the El Tablon Ghetto.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Victor Laszlo said:
Where in Charamicos is El Tablon located?
The main road that circles all the way around Charamicos, called Eugenio Kundhart, accesses the entrance to El Tablon, at the very end of the circle, 100 feet away from where it merges back into a 2 way street, if that helps you locate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.