Lease Expiration

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
I have read here that a tenant cannot be evicted simply because the lease has expired. Once the lease expires, can the rent be raised?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
My understanding is that it can only go up 10%. I learned this the hard way after I decided to move out of my apartment when the landlord raised the rent 50%. I refused and chose to move. THe good news, I love my new place even more...

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Expiration of the lease is not among the stated legal grounds for eviction. If the tenant keeps paying the rent he or she cannot be evicted just because the lease has expired.

As for raising the rent, it cannot be done unilaterally without a lengthy administrative procedure. If the owner refuses to accept the rent, the tenant can deposit it at the nearest Banco Agricola.

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
That is the stupidest thing I ever heard

Fabio J. Guzman said:
Expiration of the lease is not among the stated legal grounds for eviction. If the tenant keeps paying the rent he or she cannot be evicted just because the lease has expired.

As for raising the rent, it cannot be done unilaterally without a lengthy administrative procedure. If the owner refuses to accept the rent, the tenant can deposit it at the nearest Banco Agricola.

I guess I'll just sell the apartment to the next sucker willing to buy it, then. How the blazes can you own property and not be permitted to raise the rent or change tenants?! What if I decided to live in it myself?! I have to get the tenant's permission!!! And how can a rent raise ever be anything but unilateral? No tenant in his right mind is going to say, "Sure, raise the rent--no problem" if he has a choice!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
BigDaddy said:
I guess I'll just sell the apartment to the next sucker willing to buy it, then. How the blazes can you own property and not be permitted to raise the rent or change tenants?! What if I decided to live in it myself?! I have to get the tenant's permission!!! And how can a rent raise ever be anything but unilateral? No tenant in his right mind is going to say, "Sure, raise the rent--no problem" if he has a choice!

Welcome to the Dominican Republic!

This is a reason why people will often only rent to foreigners.
They are easier to get out and often not her permanently.

What makes you think you can sell it with tenants present? :)

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
Robert said:

LOL! (Although it's probably not funny) :cry:

PorQue

Jul 18, 2005
Let me explain something if i may:

When you are white and live in a non white country, at times you need a local guy that is serious and knows how to resolve local problems. In this country, money resolves all problems its just that sometimes you need a little help to get things done.

A peer of mine deals with a guy on the North coast that resolves problems for him. Got a tenant that won't leave, Got a witness to something that you don't want, having a problem with an official...? Once this guy is retained, you will not have problems from your tenant.

Im not talking about anything illegal, just u gotta know the dominican way to get things done..because when it comes down to it they stick together for themselves and lookout for their own. And you live in a foreign land with u your family and maybe a few other gringos...u dont want to be in a comprimising situation..that is not why u moved here.

Excuse my ramble, although i know nothing about you, I have an understanding for the feeling of helplessness for foreigners that just come here to make a decent living.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Robert said:

Reminds me of the time when my father having decided to move the family back to our old house, encountered a problem with the tenant, an Englishman and his family, who were adamant about leaving, and were using very trick in the legal books to remain in the property. So my father drove over to the house before 6 am and brandishing a machete walked back and forth along the entire length of the metal fence, rattling the machete against the metal bars, making the most infernal sound. Before the week was over, the tenant informed my father his immediate plans to move.