What do you think? "Dominican Republic...Inexhaustible"

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
This is the new slogan from the Ministry of Tourism.
Everyone I have spoken to has given it the thumbs down, as it sounds more like an extractor fan for something bad or they just don't get what it means.

I often wonder what goes through some peoples heads.
The ministry and the tourism industry here seem to be 180 degrees apart.
I have yet to see a coordinated plan involving the Ministry and private sector.

Ok, the debate...

What should the country slogan be and why?
Have you seen any advertising on the DR in your area?

-----------------------------------------------------
Note: Any stupid or childish posts will be removed.
If you have nothing intelligent or constructive to contribute, don't bother.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Robert said:
Everyone I have spoken to has given it the thumbs down, as it sounds more like an extractor fan for something bad or they just don't get what it means.

Ok, the debate...

I likewise would give the new Ministry slogan thumbs down. Makes the country sound more like a marathon runner than a place to relax and enjoy...

How about "The Dominican Republic -- Unforgetable Warmth"? I guess it sounds better in Spanish ("La Republica Dominicana - Cari?o Inolvidable")...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Is that their slogan in English? It might make sense in Spanish (incansable?) but it is an absolutely useless word in English. It does not evoke anything positive or attractive as the slogan to promote the country should. They can't have consulted with anyone who (a) knows English, or (b) knows about advertising. They probably just put the word through babelfish.

I am guessing that the thinking behind it is to say the country has an endless and varied number of things to offer the visitor, am I right? Or might they be referring to the all-night partying nature of the Dominican people? :cross-eye

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Robert said:

Ok, the debate...

Dominican Republic - 'A little piece of heaven on earth'

Yvette

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Slogan

"Dominican Republic...Inexhaustible" .....It sounds like a promise from the government about the supply of propano. It just does not click.

I would suggest the slogan, "Dominican Republic ...End-to-End Smiles", something that reflects something positive. It is a teaser inviting interest.

I have not seen any advertising, my being an almost full time resident here restricts my access. The advertising is observed or not observed in the foreign market areas, not here.

Regards,
PJT

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
How about

'Land of infinite possibilities.'

'More than you could ever expect.'

Very difficult not to descend into cliche, or cynicism.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Is that their slogan in English? It might make sense in Spanish (incansable?) but it is an absolutely useless word in English. It

A more precise translation would be 'inagotable'. The expression has a pretentious ring, and is not a good slogan. It has Felucho's stamp all over it.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
New Slogan

Robert: Will this slogan be promoted in English and Spanish? The use of inexhaustible will, IMHO, have many asking "what is inexhaustible"? The land, the air, the beaches, the lush forests, the beer and rum, the beautiful women, the corruption? What?
I have seen one television ad promoting the Dominican Republic; I've seen quite a few promoting Puerto Rico and many more promoting Mexico. I'm in California.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Inexhaustable is stupid. I like Mkohns' "infinate adventures" a little better. However, I dont think most tourists associate islands such as the Dominican Republic with 'adventure'. Instead, most people think of beaches and palm trees. So, I propose something more along the lines of, "Dominican Republic, experience true beauty". This would attract people who have money and are inclined to travel to tropical places.

Larry

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Mirador said:
A more precise translation would be 'inagotable'. The expression has a pretentious ring, and is not a good slogan. It has Felucho's stamp all over it.

I agree. 'Incansable' is more like 'tireless', isn't it? 'Inagotable' does suggest that there is an endless number of things to do, but it definitely doesn't have the same ring in English.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
More...

I believe that tourists return to the same destinations because of the quality of their experiences there. Therefore, any slogan that attempts to bring people to the DR as first timers, or returnees, should address that motivation.
Not being in the advertising field, I could be totally wrong.

Dominican Republic...memories that last a lifetime.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
2dlight said:
I believe that tourists return to the same destinations because of the quality of their experiences there. Therefore, any slogan that attempts to bring people to the DR as first timers, or returnees, should address that motivation.
Not being in the advertising field, I could be totally wrong.

Dominican Republic...memories that last a lifetime.
Dominican Republic - One Visit and You're Hooked

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Dominican Republic,"Bet You Can't Visit Just Once!"

or...The Dominican Republic.."You'll Be Back!"

The Dominican Republic,"Most Fun You'll Ever Have With Your Clothes Off! ;)
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC