Airport Customs Info (Help)

warrent2

Jul 12, 2005
I am visiting the DR for the first time from Aug 4-8 via SDQ and would like to know what items are allowed through customs in general. I want to bring perfume, bath care products, a palm sized S-E translator, CD player, etc. as gifts for a friend, but can not find any reliable info as to what the gift limit is and I would like to know how best to get these past customs without being hassled for a propina or other nonsense.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Take all of it out of the box and pretend it's all for personal use.
If they question you, slip them an Abe Lincoln, nothing more is necessary.
If you have 5 boxes of D & G, they may suspect you have alterior motives.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Tamborista said:
If you have 5 boxes of D & G, they may suspect you have alterior motives.

As would we here as it would be a game to sell for a profit. Load up the suitcase with stuff that looks like it is for you and nobody is the wiser if they even look at all.

drdick

Jun 10, 2005
Never looked in any of my baggage when I visited 2 weeks ago and I had lots of stuff for friends in the DR

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
warrent2 said:
I am visiting the DR for the first time from Aug 4-8 via SDQ and would like to know what items are allowed through customs in general. I want to bring perfume, bath care products, a palm sized S-E translator, CD player, etc. as gifts for a friend, but can not find any reliable info as to what the gift limit is and I would like to know how best to get these past customs without being hassled for a propina or other nonsense.
keep a twenty dollar bill in your hand..and you'll be able to bring the statue of liberty in to the dr..no problemo.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
All the products you listed should be no problem. I assume you are coming from the states? if so, SDQ shouldn't be any different than anyehere else. I have never had luggage checked upon arrival. DO expect them to check on your departure. If you have something expensive(like a nice camara) make sure you fill out a "declaration form" otherwise they could try and charge a duty upon entering the states.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
ggn420 said:
DO expect them to check on your departure. If you have something expensive(like a nice camara) make sure you fill out a "declaration form" otherwise they could try and charge a duty upon entering the states.

Who looks at departure? There are no customs at all when you leave and only security /agricultural inspections - meaningless X-ray machine and the half-blind security agents who only want to steal gum and batteries.

And their checking when you leave the DR (which they don't apart from the above) isn't anything to do with US Customs. Who are not likely to suspect you bought anything of real value (like a camera) in the DR for less than the USA.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I know when I flew into SDQ a couple of months back, they asked specifically about electrical items on the customs declaration, and their relevant value. I was in possession of a DVD player and a personal use CD player and made it through OK, but I tend to agree with the poster who said to remove itmes from their packaging to reduce suspicion in the event you are stopped. I got searched in PUJ airport last year...I think they are getting suspicious with all the DR stamps in my passport!!! ;)

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Who looks at departure? There are no customs at all when you leave and only security /agricultural inspections - meaningless X-ray machine and the half-blind security agents who only want to steal gum and batteries.

And their checking when you leave the DR (which they don't apart from the above) isn't anything to do with US Customs. Who are not likely to suspect you bought anything of real value (like a camera) in the DR for less than the USA.
Immigration checks you extensivly upon departure. All bags are looked at carefully at PC airport. Customs in the States when you return, are what you need to be concerned with, not Customs on arrival in the DR.
Maybe that's a little clearer.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
ggn420 said:
Immigration checks you extensivly upon departure. All bags are looked at carefully at PC airport. Customs in the States when you return, are what you need to be concerned with, not Customs on arrival in the DR.
Maybe that's a little clearer.

Passport control really doesn't look at you terribly exclusively at departure (except for any opportunity to graft for some dough for tourist card overstays) and they certainly do nothing with luggage since the airline already has it and security already x-rayed the carry-on (watch your gum and batteries with thos pirates).

And US Customs of course can and do look but as I said, the likelyhood you were able to find anything both decent and cheaper in the DR vs. Miami or NYC (such as cameras) is so remote, I doubt the US Customs would think of items in your return luggage to be worth a look. Coming back from Hong Kong or Singapore, they'd be a lot more suspicious. Since there is a lot of stuff there to buy at below-US prices.

Since the OP was worried about arriving with some booty the degree of scrutiny by US Customs when you return is not really that relevant to the original question anyway.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My wife(Dominicana) just flew into Santiago airport from Toronto via JFK. She declared the electronics she was bringing (Computer external Hardrive, CD PLAYER, MINI-DISC, mp3,,,etc) She was charged nothing and her bags were not opened. She brought four seventy lb bags filled with gifts of all description and she paid nothing. Now is it because the PLD is now in charge and they have cleaned up the customs or was Yris just lucky;who knows. I've never had a bag opened by Dominican Customs in 8 years of going to the DR. The advice above about saying all the electronics is your personal equipment is sound. Good Luck.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
never had a problem

however....twice my friends who are of darker complexion than myself DID have problems on exiting the country (nor entering either).

Tho i have a latino sur name....i am very gringo looking...and get waved thru quickly.

I think the only thing to worry about upon exiting is agricultural products (and perhaps too many bottles of brugal extra vejo). I have never declaired my camera (a nice one) cd player, or Mini Disc...or the like...and have never been questioned.

I think taking things out of their packaging is sound advise tho.

I have a question tho....how many cartons of cigarettes are you allowed to bring back?

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Passport control really doesn't look at you terribly exclusively at departure (except for any opportunity to graft for some dough for tourist card overstays) and they certainly do nothing with luggage since the airline already has it and security already x-rayed the carry-on (watch your gum and batteries with thos pirates).

And US Customs of course can and do look but as I said, the likelyhood you were able to find anything both decent and cheaper in the DR vs. Miami or NYC (such as cameras) is so remote, I doubt the US Customs would think of items in your return luggage to be worth a look. Coming back from Hong Kong or Singapore, they'd be a lot more suspicious. Since there is a lot of stuff there to buy at below-US prices.

Since the OP was worried about arriving with some booty the degree of scrutiny by US Customs when you return is not really that relevant to the original question anyway.
Makes sence.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
For the US as a rule, one carton of cigarettes and one quart of liquor are permitted duty free ...
Anna, great links.

The way I read it is that you can bring back up to $400 of anything without paying duty (I don't know what internal revenue tax is). If you are bringing back more than $400 of merchandise, the first 200 cigararettes woud be duty free.

"Articles acquired abroad and brought back with you are subject to duty and internal revenue tax. As a returning U.S. resident, you are allowed to bring back $400 ($600, if you are returning directly from a Caribbean Basin Economy Recovery Act country) worth of merchandise duty free. However, you must have been outside the United States for at least 48 hours, and you must not have used this exemption within the preceding 30-day period. The next $l, 000 worth of items you bring back with you for personal use or gifts are dutiable at a flat 10% rate. (Your duty free exemption may include 100 cigars, 200 cigarettes, and one liter of wine, beer or liquor.)"
Just to be sure I will ask a customs agent on my next trip and post my findings.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
jrzyguy said:
however....twice my friends who are of darker complexion than myself DID have problems on exiting the country (nor entering either).
What kind of problems?

When exiting the DR, they are only looking for items that are not allowed on airplanes, not for violations of US customs. [As Ricktoronto pointed out, they like confiscating batteries, which are not on the contraband list, but they take nonetheless].

Last edited:

katty

Mar 14, 2003
here is what I have done

over the past three years, I have brought back numerous cartons of cigs, numerous bottles of rum have never had a problem. I decalre my contraband and they let me go. now on to the good stuff, my girlfriend tried to bring a coconut back and got nabbed, And then there is my crazy sister who brought back marijaunia back and I told her I am not bailing her out if she got caught. But she made it. Now she says she will not try that again, good girl.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Didn't the OP ask about bringing items (gifts) into the DR?

My experience is that:

• Usually my bags are never opened
  • If it is just a few gifts, they don't bother you
  • If the items look like they're for personal use, they don't bother you
If all else fails, a $5.00 bill helps

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
katty said:
over the past three years, I have brought back numerous cartons of cigs, numerous bottles of rum have never had a problem. I decalre my contraband and they let me go. now on to the good stuff, my girlfriend tried to bring a coconut back and got nabbed, And then there is my crazy sister who brought back marijaunia back and I told her I am not bailing her out if she got caught. But she made it. Now she says she will not try that again, good girl.
ANY agricultural item is a big NO NO. That's the first thing they look for. As for the ganga....why would she risk it? DR weed is mostly from Haiti, and is CRAP. You can buy it in the states for less.

Deej

Jun 15, 2005
I've never had my luggage (checked or hand) checked in or out ... but that's charter flights to/from POP.