Interracial Relationships In The Dr...

Status
Not open for further replies.

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
On the recent thread: "The Class System," there were and abundant number of posts regarding, not the Class System, but Race. I am NOT looking for an argument, nor a fight, just well articulated facts. My question is this: Are interracial relationships common place in the DR, and can you share some success stories on how you have made it work?

Yvette

Nov 5, 2004
Here is a thread based on sucessful stories

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30782

I will add mine there soon ;)

However...you (or anyone else) cannot base your realtionship on what other ppl have done or expereiced. Each realtionship is up to each person to make it work on both sides....

There are many cross-cultural realtionships all around the world...not just in the DR...

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
PeachezNcream84 said:
Here is a thread based on sucessful stories

http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30782

I will add mine there soon ;)

However...you (or anyone else) cannot base your realtionship on what other ppl have done or expereiced. Each realtionship is up to each person to make it work on both sides....

There are many cross-cultural realtionships all around the world...not just in the DR...

Thanks Peachez, I named the DR because it has to be DR related, but I understand your point.

Yvette

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
yvette said:
Thanks Peachez, I named the DR because it has to be DR related, but I understand your point.

Yvette

yvette,

in my opinion interracial relationships are not a problem there because the people are so mixed up anyway. if on interracial relationships you mean people of different hues intermingling then yes it is very common place. you certainly won't get any stares or anything like that--unless you're dealing with someone from the upper, upper, reaches of the upper class--then race matters. but nah it ain't no big thing in my opinion.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
This is interesting. There are lots of mixed couples in the DR but more often than not one of the people in the relationship is a foreigner. Personally I could care less about someone's race and/or color but Dominicans have more of a hang-up with color when compared to Americans or Europeans.

Dominicans themselves tend to keep to people of similar color than themselves. Example: a light skinned Dominican from the upper class just doesn't end up marrying a dark skinned Dominican. (This is a general statement so please don't come back with the one example of your albino friend who is married to a Haitian). If they don't marry someone of a similar color tone then they usually try to "Marry Up". Don't get mad at me for saying it. I'm just posting what I see and hear. I didn't say I agree with it.

"Mejorando la raza...." This saying sums it up.

Scandall

PS: Sorry if I offended any of the DR1 albinos. It was not my intention. Albinos are productive members of society who deserve the same respect and opportunities as normal people.

PPS: I did not mean to imply that Albinos are not "normal". My choice of words was poor and I wish to apologize to all albinos who might have misconstrued them.

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I dont think that Dominican-Extra?jo/a relationships are highly regarded by Dominicans. Not that these unions are rejected by friends and families of the Dominano/a, but just not well regarded or given equal respect.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Scandall said:
PS: Sorry if I offended any of the DR1 albinos. It was not my intention. Albinos are productive members of society who deserve the same respect and opportunities as normal people.
No offense taken.

Edgar W. :)

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Nelly said:
I dont think that Dominican-Extra?jo/a relationships are highly regarded by Dominicans. Not that these unions are rejected by friends and families of the Dominano/a, but just not well regarded or given equal respect.

Nelly makes an interesting point. It is not all encompassing but it is probably true in many cases. In a mixed (Dominican and Foreigner) relationship the Dominicana is sometimes looked down on by Dominicans as a "ho" or the Dominicano as a "Sankie" even though they may be far from either.

Scandall

PS: I meant no disrespect to any of the many "hoes" or "Sankies" that inhabit this board. They provide us with lots of material.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Scandall said:
This is interesting. There are lots of mixed couples in the DR but more often than not one of the people in the relationship is a foreigner. Personally I could care less about someone's race and/or color but Dominicans have more of a hang-up with color when compared to Americans or Europeans.

Dominicans themselves tend to keep to people of similar color than themselves. Example: a light skinned Dominican from the upper class just doesn't end up marrying a dark skinned Dominican. (This is a general statement so please don't come back with the one example of your albino friend who is married to a Haitian). If they don't marry someone of a similar color tone then they usually try to "Marry Up". Don't get mad at me for saying it. I'm just posting what I see and hear. I didn't say I agree with it.

Well my father has dark skin and nappy hair while my mother has fair skin with straight hair (from el Cibao). Their union did not start a war. Your say it is all about "mejorando la raza" but this is one sided. Under this assumption, the betterness (?) of one race, is the worsening of the other race..

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Stodgord said:
Scandall said:

Well my father has dark skin and nappy hair while my mother has fair skin with straight hair (from el Cibao). Their union did not start a war. Your say it is all about "mejorando la raza" but this is one sided. Under this assumption, the betterness (?) of one race, is the worsening of the other race..

I didn't create the quote. I just learned it here. Also, we are speaking in admitted generalities.

Scandall

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
1. Webster defines race as: 1. A division of the human population distinquished by physical charateristics transmitted by genes. 2. A body of people united by a common history or nationality. So by these definitons any foreign person is a race of people, therefore can I assume that any Dominican person coupled with a foreigner is an interracial couple?"

2. This situation you site here seems more class oriented than race.

PPS: I did not mean to imply that Albinos are not "normal". My choice of words was poor and I wish to apologize to all albinos who might have misconstrued them.[/QUOTE]

3. I understood what you meant. You were using what you deemed to be the farthest extremes of persons in an interracial relationship, and not to down grade any race or people group, be it Albinos or Haitians. You have me smiling, what makes you so fearful to say what you mean? It is after all your opinion? ;).

Yvette

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
I understood what you meant. You were using what you deemed to be the farthest extremes of persons in an interracial relationship, and not to down grade any race or people group, be it Albinos or Haitians. You have me smiling, what makes you so fearful to say what you mean? It is after all your opinion? ;).

Yvette[/QUOTE]

You're too cute, Yvette. I guess my trademark sarcasm isn't coming through. Those on the board who know me laughed when they read it.

My "apologies" were tongue and cheek. I was making light of the oversensitive nature of too many people in the world. Actually, I hate albinos and Haitians. But especially albinos.

Ok. That was a joke.

Cheers!--Scandall

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Some people simply mix up issues.

Color has very little bearing when it comes to relationships. Color of a person has little to do with a person's race. example: a white person can be as dark as myself and still be considered white Ex: Italians from south italy. A black person can be as white as irish and still be called black because he clearly has african features and kinky hair.
So lets get something clear. Color is not as important as a person's race. What everyone looks for is beauty, no matter what race or color. The beauty is found in all races and in all colors. You can find a stunning beauty in black and a ugly witch in white race or vice versa.
What it all boils down to is beauty and race. If the person has fine features example: an indian looking girl with fine straight hair and fine facial features, slim curvy body and soft educated voice, then anyone will accept her as a girlfriend or as a wife even if she were black has haitian. No problem there. Now if the woman is a white gringa, overweight and speaks like a biker, then I am sure, not many would want to spend the rest of their lives with that person. Get my point?
Most white domincians would prefer a person who is also with same features ex: straight hair, fine facial features and a nice slim body. If she is of dark color but looks like a covergirl of some fashion magazine, then tell me, who will complain? Now if she is looks like an african woman with kinky hair and clearly african looking facial features, then I am sure, not many domincians would want to marry her if they are of fine facial features with straight hair themselves. same hold for a white woman who weighs 300lbs and looks unhealthy. No one will be attracted to her unless the guy has recently been released from serving 20 yrs prison term.
This is the truth. Dominicans like fine facial features, long straight hair and stunning beauty all over. If you have all this and still be as black as my car's engine, no problem. You will be all set for life.
So it all boils down to beauty and class of a person. Even if a girl is with kinky hair and with fine model body, she is all set. Who would reject her in their right mind?
So its not all color and race issue. There are more things to consider than just color shades.
By the way, the inter-racial relationhips is all you got among expats and domincians. show me one expat who is married to a white domincian? For everyone couple, you have 100 who are married to haitian type domincians.
AZB

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
Scandall said:
I understood what you meant. You were using what you deemed to be the farthest extremes of persons in an interracial relationship, and not to down grade any race or people group, be it Albinos or Haitians. You have me smiling, what makes you so fearful to say what you mean? It is after all your opinion? ;).

Yvette

You're too cute, Yvette. I guess my trademark sarcasm isn't coming through. Those on the board who know me laughed when they read it.

My "apologies" were tongue and cheek. I was making light of the oversensitive nature of too many people in the world. Actually, I hate albinos and Haitians. But especially albinos.

Ok. That was a joke.

Cheers!--Scandall[/QUOTE]

Scandall,

Sarcasm, yes ,hence your user ID. You also have a silly side ;) and that's good to know!

Yvette

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ivette, you have gotten a few strange posts here.

The one that raised my eyebrows was the one by Nelly that said that Dominican / extra?jo (sic) relationships were looked down upon.

For the most part, this is often because the Extranjero (generally considered to be "high class," regardless whether they are or not) has chosen a partner so low-class as to be -to a Dominican - such an obvious sanky or prostitute that they will be sneered at. Perhaps a question of taste.

I'll never forget the lovely girk that had gotten her sanky a visa and bought his ticket and he was so ignorant that he could not read the seat numbers on the aircraft...."but he was her man...."

A friend of mine presented me with one of his girlfriends, a woman he was seriously thinking of setting serious about. "She is working in Spain" I was told, "in the hotel business." But two words out of her mouth and I knew what business she was in. No doubt about it. Another time he brought one around the house and her boobs kept falling out of her "dress." We did not think that that was nice, but said nothing. (Yes, they were "perky" and you could not keep a pencil under them....for you voyoures out there))

So, quality is important to Dominicans. Even in the barrios, they know the who and what you are.

HB :(:(

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
AZB said:
Color has very little bearing when it comes to relationships. Color of a person has little to do with a person's race. example: a white person can be as dark as myself and still be considered white Ex: Italians from south italy. A black person can be as white as irish and still be called black because he clearly has african features and kinky hair.
So lets get something clear. Color is not as important as a person's race. What everyone looks for is beauty, no matter what race or color. The beauty is found in all races and in all colors. You can find a stunning beauty in black and a ugly witch in white race or vice versa.
What it all boils down to is beauty and race. If the person has fine features example: an indian looking girl with fine straight hair and fine facial features, slim curvy body and soft educated voice, then anyone will accept her as a girlfriend or as a wife even if she were black has haitian. No problem there. Now if the woman is a white gringa, overweight and speaks like a biker, then I am sure, not many would want to spend the rest of their lives with that person. Get my point?
Most white domincians would prefer a person who is also with same features ex: straight hair, fine facial features and a nice slim body. If she is of dark color but looks like a covergirl of some fashion magazine, then tell me, who will complain? Now if she is looks like an african woman with kinky hair and clearly african looking facial features, then I am sure, not many domincians would want to marry her if they are of fine facial features with straight hair themselves. same hold for a white woman who weighs 300lbs and looks unhealthy. No one will be attracted to her unless the guy has recently been released from serving 20 yrs prison term.
This is the truth. Dominicans like fine facial features, long straight hair and stunning beauty all over. If you have all this and still be as black as my car's engine, no problem. You will be all set for life.
So it all boils down to beauty and class of a person. Even if a girl is with kinky hair and with fine model body, she is all set. Who would reject her in their right mind?
So its not all color and race issue. There are more things to consider than just color shades.
By the way, the inter-racial relationhips is all you got among expats and domincians. show me one expat who is married to a white domincian? For everyone couple, you have 100 who are married to haitian type domincians.
AZB

AZB,

I appreiciate your straighforward informative post. You did answer my question; according to your post, interracial relationships are pretty common place in the DR. You've said on a smaller scale, what Dr. Martin Luther King said; a person should not be judged on the color of their skin, but on the content of his/her character. It's good to know that some can and do see past skin color. When one does, one is truely made free.

Yvette

yvette

Jun 18, 2004
So, quality is important to Dominicans. Even in the barrios, they know the who and what you are.

HB :(:([/QUOTE]

I think that is so for any nation of people, thanks HB!

Yvette

Status
Not open for further replies.