Sad news about Noelle from Sophy?s B&B

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
I read earlier today the Noelle from Sophy?s B&B in POP is gravely ill.

Apparently she is in a vegetative state after complications from a medical procedure and the prognosis is poor.

Just thought some of you would want to know.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for the info.
She is a really classy lady - well connected - empathetic.
Much love to you friend!
mkohn

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I never met the lady but have heard good things about her. May she not suffer long.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
That is sad to hear.
As much as I enjoyed Sunday breakfasts at Sophy's, I enjoyed conversation with Noelle even more.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I sit here with a VERY heavy heart as I type to tell you that Noelle passed away this morning.

I just took a trip round to Sophy's to show a bit of solidarity & instruct all to contact me if anything was required ...... & was hit by very mournful faces & a couple of big hugs for comfort - it appears Noelle passed away not too long before my visit!!

For obvious reasons I did not press for the reasons/problems nor details of any service that might be arranged - those I will check with the neice who is already here & organising things, all I can report is that Noelle went in for some form of neck surgery, seemed to come through that (well, the doctor said the op went well) then complications set in to her respiritory system as a result of her years of smoking!!!! I am sure much more will come out over the next few days.

I will try speaking to the neice a bit later today & ask such things as memorial service, funeral details etc., & then post them the moment I know.

Like many others here, Noelle was one of the first people we met in this country - she was a tour rep at our hotel back in 1991, & although we were not VERY close friends, we liked each other sufficiently to be rude to each other in that friendly banter way that WAS Noelle. A big smile & a HUG were offered & reciprocated each time we met - then we could be rude to each othert!! We certainly respected each other & Ginnie & I will miss her dearly!!

Rest in TOTAL peace Noelle - enjoy your well earned long vacation!! ~ Grahame

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
BushBaby said:
I sit here with a VERY heavy heart as I type to tell you that Noelle passed away this morning.

I just took a trip round to Sophy's to show a bit of solidarity & instruct all to contact me if anything was required ...... & was hit by very mournful faces & a couple of big hugs for comfort - it appears Noelle passed away not too long before my visit!!

For obvious reasons I did not press for the reasons/problems nor details of any service that might be arranged - those I will check with the neice who is already here & organising things, all I can report is that Noelle went in for some form of neck surgery, seemed to come through that (well, the doctor said the op went well) then complications set in to her respiritory system as a result of her years of smoking!!!! I am sure much more will come out over the next few days.

I will try speaking to the neice a bit later today & ask such things as memorial service, funeral details etc., & then post them the moment I know.

Like many others here, Noelle was one of the first people we met in this country - she was a tour rep at our hotel back in 1991, & although we were not VERY close friends, we liked each other sufficiently to be rude to each other in that friendly banter way that WAS Noelle. A big smile & a HUG were offered & reciprocated each time we met - then we could be rude to each othert!! We certainly respected each other & Ginnie & I will miss her dearly!!

I got this sad information too this morning.
It feels empty and very strange, Noelle was not only a friend, she was also a personality so loved and appreciated here in Puerto Plata.
Loving, rude - yeah!, she appreciated people for what they are, and she was always standing tall, feet on the ground and being herself.
She will leave warm memories to us that are still here, she was a remarkable person. One of a kind.
I will miss her dearly too, and please Noelle, watch out for us here on the island as you always did, and go where peace is found.
You are so loved by so many.

james

Jan 14, 2002
We were having breakfast at Sofys this morning while we learned the news that she was very ill. About 15 minutes later a call came in that she had worsened and some family relatives from Canada that were about to eat left immediately for the clinic. About 15 minutes later a call came that she had passed away.
RIP Noelle we will miss you.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I remember her talking about living life under the palm trees.
I guess it's under the palm trees where you were happiest.
Thanks for the friendship and hospitality.
Jamie, I'm sure, will remember drinking Presidentes with you - and the gecko he wanted to smuggle back in his suitcase.
Back together with your Sophie!
Au revoir.
mkohn

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Noelle, passing.

BushBaby said:

Thank you Grahame for such a thoughtful posting. There was always a group of us Gringos/as from Costambar who went to Noelle's for breakfast after church. She was a great lady that always did her very best to make everyone feel at home in her immaculate restaurant. We will miss her dearly.
Canadian Bob.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My wife and I have lost a dear friend

Noelle Gillen was a very sweet lady. Her heart was huge and her breakfasts were, indeed, world famous. May the Good Lord take her and let her rest in Peace.

It is so strange to miss a person like that. She was dynamic, witty and kind to many, many people from all over.

Puerto Plata is a smaller city tonight.

Bye Noelle, we will miss you.

Mr and Mrs HB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I am sorry this is such short notice but I have only JUST found out myself.

There will be a Mass for Noelle at the Cathderal here in Central Park, Puerto Plata, this afternoon at 5.00 pm. PLEASE, all of you who knew & loved Noelle, get along if you possibly can. Her body will be returning to Canada within a day or two I gather, where she will be laid to rest with other family members!

If anyone wants to send e-mail messages because they can not make it personally, feel free to get them to me by 4.30 so I can get them printed out to take down with me!! GrahameBush@hotmail.com

Hope to see you there ~ Grahame.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginnie( elsewhere)
It was the new Bishop's first Mass, so the turn out was huge. Not all of them knowing Noelle of course but the idea was for the normal Mass to have included words of remembrance & condolence. AnneMarie, Noelle's niece, sends her thanks to everyone for their wishes. Grahame will doubtless post in more detail later. I understand that at Noelle's wishes she is to be cremated in SD on Wednesday & the ashes will return to Canada with AnneMarie.

RIP Noelle, you must be smiling now at the size of the sendoff.
End Quote

And a rock band doing the up-beat thing in the Cathedral - wow, what a way to go!!

Thanks to Carina & Grace for turning up (even though you gave me the run-around to all the other churches first Grace, having told me it couldn't be the Cathedral!!) plus anyone else who got there that I couldn't see or recognise from the back of their heads. I know you were trying to get there Larry, sorry if I missed you in the throng!! We met up with a Jamie & Greg who breakfast regularly at Sofy's, don't think they are DR1 members but if you visit guys, thanks for attending also.

Thanks finally to Mary & Bill Kohn (Wisconsin) & the ever reliable Hillbilly (& Asuncion) for your e-mail messages to pass on to AnnMarie. They were printed out & given to AnnMarie in the Cathedral & (with the knowledge that more of us were present) brought a lovely tear to her eyes!! ~ Grahame.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I"m sorry I missed the mass, I would have liked to be there.

Noelle was a friend to me as well. She opened up her heart to me almost from the moment we met. She was a wonderful source of information, support, help and always always always a smile, a joke (usually at your own expense) and a hug.

I didn't know her all that long but I will miss her. She had a way of making an impact on your life almost immediately. She lived life to the fullest! And she lived it on her terms.

I am going to miss her and her legendary breakfasts!!!

Skyclops

Jul 18, 2005
Question about Sophy's B&B.

First off I would like to convey my condolences to the friends and family of Noelle. We did not know her but it's obvious that she was a much loved person. My wife and I are making our first trip to the DR on July 27th and I had planned on emailing Sophy's B&B today to see if there was an opening for that night. In light of her passing should I look for another place to stay? Ironically we had planned this trip a few years ago and had made reservations to stay at Sophy's. In that case we had to cancel at the last minute due to the passing of a family member. Any suggestions?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Skyclops said:
First off I would like to convey my condolences to the friends and family of Noelle. We did not know her but it's obvious that she was a much loved person. My wife and I are making our first trip to the DR on July 27th and I had planned on emailing Sophy's B&B today to see if there was an opening for that night. In light of her passing should I look for another place to stay? Ironically we had planned this trip a few years ago and had made reservations to stay at Sophy's. In that case we had to cancel at the last minute due to the passing of a family member. Any suggestions?

I suggest you send BushBaby / see posting above / an email or PM.
He is well informed and he will also assist you in another accommodation, I am sure.
Just click on his name in his posting above and contact him from there.