Need help with an onomatopeia...

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mr.Mark

Hi people,

I'm Dominican and my mother tongue is Spanish, but I think your help can be useful for something I need. There's an onomatopeia that we Dominicans use constantly and, as you'll understand, is hard for me to put into your minds what I'm talkin about.

Have you heard the mouth reaction Dominican men produce when they see a very hot woman in the street? It's the same sound we make when someone tells them a horrific anecdote -for instance, how one was impaled or something horrendous like that-. It's a sound similar to the one you can hear coming from some chicken being grilled with oil. It's something like fsssssssfssssssssfsssss. We produce it with our jawbones closed, but with our lips modestly open and we breath in some air which moves the bit of saliva we have in our mouth.

Does any one of you know what I'm talkin about? I need a proper and accurate alliteration of this sound.

M

Mr.Mark

Dragonfly32837 said:
Are you talking about psssst or whistling?

Nope, is a different thing. In fact, this onomatopeia is not aimed at the woman passing by, it's generally, something Dominican men keep to themselves.

Last edited:
M

Mr.Mark

gatoazul said:
Could be a pchst???

Is it like what we dominicans call a "chuipiti"??

No, no, no. Whoa! It's indeed difficult to put in words that feeling.

It has nothing to do with "chuipiti" -you know we use chuipi when we don't believe somethin an "pcst" is to call someone-.

In my post, I think the onomatopeia is described in the best way I can do it.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I looked up the words in encarta. Hopefully this will jog someone's memory.

on?o?mat?o?poe?ia

noun ==== imitation of sound in words: the formation or use of words that imitate the sound associated with something, e.g. "hiss" and "buzz"

al?lit?er?a?tion

noun ==== use of similar consonants: a poetic or literary effect achieved by using several words that begin with the same or similar consonants, as in "Whither wilt thou wander, wayfarer?"

Where's juancarlos on this? ;)

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Mr.Mark said:
No, no, no. Whoa! It's indeed difficult to put in words that feeling.

It has nothing to do with "chuipiti" -you know we use chuipi when we don't believe somethin an "pcst" is to call someone-.

In my post, I think the onomatopeia is described in the best way I can do it.

I think I know... It sounds like air coming out of a tire..it sound resembles the english 's' at the beginning of a word, holding it for a long time.

I seem to do it when someone is telling me something extraordinary or unbelievable. For instance if somenone is telling me about the death of someone I know , I would start shaking my head, and without noticing I will be making the sound in disbelief.

I hope I was able to help you.

Morena76

May 10, 2005
I think I know what you are talking about. My ex used to do that whenever he was 'in the mood.' For the longest time I thought he was trying to get food out of his teeth. lol

M

Mr.Mark

Morena76 said:
I think I know what you are talking about. My ex used to do that whenever he was 'in the mood.' For the longest time I thought he was trying to get food out of his teeth. lol

You definitely understand me, you got the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.