This is an idea...

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Robert said:
Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko is to disband the country's traffic police because it has proved impossible to stamp out corruption.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4694199.stm

The only problem with that is where would they go? Into the great Dominican job market? Then we'd just have more scumbags in the streets. At least now the criminals are nice enough to wear police uniforms so we can identify them easier.

Scandall

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Actually this was already done in The DR during Leonel's previous government, when Candelier became chief of police. You guys may have forgotten, but before AMET there was a trafic police (the guys that wore the big white hats) and they would stop you anywhere for no reason at all, always to ask for bribe.

I my hometown they would get on the road between La Mata and Cotui and stop pretty much everyone that went by and ask for a bribe. During christmas times they would get there at night and stop and hassle everyone and then they would ask for 3 to 500 pesos to let you go, which was quite a bit of money at that time.

If you were going to the capital from El Cibao you could expect that you were going to be stopped both at La Cumbre and right after the toll booth.

I remember once I had just arrived and my brother went to pick me up to POP. On the way to Cotui, this guy stopped us around Santiago. He came to us and said "I'm not even going to pretend that I stopped you for a reason, so just give me some money and off you go..." I will never forget that. At least he was "honest".

Bok

Mar 13, 2004
I remember those white hats

IIRC they were tropical helmets :ermm:

When I first came to the DR I stayed in Monte Cristi and when leaving the town there was always this white helmet stopping me about a mile after the town limit. He had a huge mole with a long black hair in it on the chin.
Back then I could only say 'cerveza' and 'que calor' but that was enough to communicate with this guy. It was hot and he wanted money for a cold one. I gave him 10 pesos and moved on.
Later as our relationship had evolved I didn't have to stop completely. I just held the 10 pesos out the window and he'd grab it as I drove by.
In town after his "working hours" we would nod good evening and go about our business.
No helmet (just the mole) = you don't have to give me any money right now. :bandit: :bandit: :bandit:

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Bok said:
IIRC they were tropical helmets :ermm:

When I first came to the DR I stayed in Monte Cristi and when leaving the town there was always this white helmet stopping me about a mile after the town limit. He had a huge mole with a long black hair in it on the chin.
Back then I could only say 'cerveza' and 'que calor' but that was enough to communicate with this guy. It was hot and he wanted money for a cold one. I gave him 10 pesos and moved on.
Later as our relationship had evolved I didn't have to stop completely. I just held the 10 pesos out the window and he'd grab it as I drove by.
In town after his "working hours" we would nod good evening and go about our business.
No helmet (just the mole) = you don't have to give me any money right now. :bandit: :bandit: :bandit:

Some of the stories I read here are so comical, that sometimes I question their validity.

On a serious note, What would they do if everyone who was victimized by their dishonesty took a stance and flat out refused to pay the bribe? sooner or later the corruption would stop.

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Jwb said:
Some of the stories I read here are so comical, that sometimes I question their validity.

On a serious note, What would they do if everyone who was victimized by their dishonesty took a stance and flat out refused to pay the bribe? sooner or later the corruption would stop.

Unfortunately, the street cops bribes were/are often shared with the next ranks up the line. It was/is often much easier and cheaper in the long run to pay & shutup...By the way, as an estranjero, the last enemy you want to have is a Dominican, for whatever reason, even if you are in the right. I was going to take one unmentionable scumbag to court some years back for breaking into my apt, living there for 6 months, stealing all my power tools and trashing the apt before he left. I was told that this fellow was powerful and had friends and I should be glad he had left. Nobody would testify against him....I choked & learned to forget about it. Canadian Bob.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Comical but true

I remember as a kid around Christmas time my dad would give $1,000 pesos to the traffic police in a given radius from my house. This was in the late 80s. I remember my dad and mom putting money in the envelopes, and my dad ocassionally driving in the wrong direction on a one way street. Sad but true.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
ROBERTSANIDIOT said:
WHAT IS THIS WHY DOES ROBERT KEEP DELETING THIS GUY I LIKE HIS COMMENTS. IT ADDS SOME ENJOYMENT TO ROBERT"S BORING INTERJECTIONS

Hey - IDIOT, quit it already!!!

This is hilarious - gotta stick my finger in this pie .....

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I feel so left out. I come in to check if anything is going on and he's covered every forum but mine. :confused: I think he knows better ;)

Come here little whale I have a fishy for you.

dawnwil

Bronze
Aug 27, 2003
oh

Fireguy, I guess you already tried this tactic. Anyhoo...

apologies for intruding, just getting rid of that dumb subject heading still showing up, although the thread is gone.