Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Have all the Dominicans in the UK gone undergound?

  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    82
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Have all the Dominicans in the UK gone undergound?

    Have all the Dominicans in the UK gone underground? Would love to hear how you cope with being far from home and not meeting other Dominicans.

  2. #2
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default New arrival

    Should be a new Dominicano in UK in the next few weeks - will keep you posted!

  3. #3
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up

    my husband has been here for 2 years almost, he gets on with his life works and provides for the family he is a family man. recently went on holiday only to return to find he had decorated my house and brought me a brand new sofa..was unexpected!! but very pleased. he doesnt want to meet dominicans here as he had a dominican friend who tried it on with me... as he says i have a new life now ill get on with it he enjoys it here has many friends and makes many friends!! he has made friends with columbians and mexicans here so he also gets to speak in his native language.does miss his family and makes sure that they are ok as well as us without leaving us short! his family understand and dont ask for anything they get what he can give and they appreciate that!! if you ask me he has settled in fine and has picked up the english ways alot as we laugh at him sometimes for some of the things he says.. like ''know what i mean'' lol
    calala2k

  4. Likes mofongoloco liked this post
  5. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    82
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default good for you

    Quote Originally Posted by calala2k
    my husband has been here for 2 years almost, he gets on with his life works and provides for the family he is a family man. recently went on holiday only to return to find he had decorated my house and brought me a brand new sofa..was unexpected!! but very pleased. he doesnt want to meet dominicans here as he had a dominican friend who tried it on with me... as he says i have a new life now ill get on with it he enjoys it here has many friends and makes many friends!! he has made friends with columbians and mexicans here so he also gets to speak in his native language.does miss his family and makes sure that they are ok as well as us without leaving us short! his family understand and dont ask for anything they get what he can give and they appreciate that!! if you ask me he has settled in fine and has picked up the english ways alot as we laugh at him sometimes for some of the things he says.. like ''know what i mean'' lol
    calala2k
    Sounds great that your husband doesn't want to meet dominicans - but why are you checking out all things dominican on this website? Do you find adapting to living with a dominican difficult?

  6. #5
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default hola

    Ade

    Are you dominicana? Do you know many Dominicano's living in the UK?

  7. #6
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ade
    Sounds great that your husband doesn't want to meet dominicans - but why are you checking out all things dominican on this website? Do you find adapting to living with a dominican difficult?
    just intresting really and no adapting to living with him is not difficult i lived with him before he even came to uk for a long while it was only when i found out i was pregnant i returned home to have baby here. ive seen posts on here and they automatically thinkall dominicans are sanky just adding my 2ps worth to say they are not all like that!!

  8. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    82
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calala2k
    just intresting really and no adapting to living with him is not difficult i lived with him before he even came to uk for a long while it was only when i found out i was pregnant i returned home to have baby here. ive seen posts on here and they automatically thinkall dominicans are sanky just adding my 2ps worth to say they are not all like that!!

    my dominican husband is great too, and you're right a lot of bad stuff is written about people on this site but I suppose you have to read between the lines and disregard the things that you don't relate to.

  9. #8
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hello All,
    Nice to see some positive feedback about Dominicans. My husband is from the DR and for the last 3 year we have been Island hopping together in the Caribbean. This may sound glam but we have been working very hard in the diving industry making very little money. 5 months ago we were blessed with our beautiful son William and we are now thinking about relocating to the UK and getting "proper" jobs.
    My biggest concern is that he will find it very difficult to adapt to the daily grind that is life in the UK. Having never lived outside the Caribbean I don't know if he really understands how different life is here. I have tried to give him the most honest picture of what life is like here but it is so alien to him I don't think it's getting through. Add this to the fact that most people he speaks to in Isla Margarita (where we currently live) would kill for the chance to get into the UK, I think he is getting the impression that the streets are paved in gold!
    If any of you have been through a similar situation and have any advise I would apreciate your feedback. Plus, any of you know where to get Dominican food or booze in the UK it would be a big help.
    Thanks

  10. #9
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Your husband sound like he is ready for a new adventure, since your are from the UK make sure you have many contacts and friends ready to help with a job, make sure he is not looking at the UK just like another place for vacation.

  11. #10
    naturelover
    Guest

    Default

    good luck with wahtever you decide
    Last edited by naturelover; 12-03-2007 at 06:18 PM. Reason: because

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO