Have all the Dominicans in the UK gone undergound?

ade

Jun 14, 2005
Have all the Dominicans in the UK gone underground? Would love to hear how you cope with being far from home and not meeting other Dominicans.

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
New arrival

Should be a new Dominicano in UK in the next few weeks - will keep you posted!

calala2k

Apr 22, 2005
my husband has been here for 2 years almost, he gets on with his life works and provides for the family he is a family man. recently went on holiday only to return to find he had decorated my house and brought me a brand new sofa..was unexpected!! but very pleased. he doesnt want to meet dominicans here as he had a dominican friend who tried it on with me... as he says i have a new life now ill get on with it he enjoys it here has many friends and makes many friends!! he has made friends with columbians and mexicans here so he also gets to speak in his native language.does miss his family and makes sure that they are ok as well as us without leaving us short! his family understand and dont ask for anything they get what he can give and they appreciate that!! if you ask me he has settled in fine and has picked up the english ways alot as we laugh at him sometimes for some of the things he says.. like ''know what i mean'' lol
calala2k

ade

Jun 14, 2005
good for you

calala2k said:
my husband has been here for 2 years almost, he gets on with his life works and provides for the family he is a family man. recently went on holiday only to return to find he had decorated my house and brought me a brand new sofa..was unexpected!! but very pleased. he doesnt want to meet dominicans here as he had a dominican friend who tried it on with me... as he says i have a new life now ill get on with it he enjoys it here has many friends and makes many friends!! he has made friends with columbians and mexicans here so he also gets to speak in his native language.does miss his family and makes sure that they are ok as well as us without leaving us short! his family understand and dont ask for anything they get what he can give and they appreciate that!! if you ask me he has settled in fine and has picked up the english ways alot as we laugh at him sometimes for some of the things he says.. like ''know what i mean'' lol
calala2k

Sounds great that your husband doesn't want to meet dominicans - but why are you checking out all things dominican on this website? Do you find adapting to living with a dominican difficult?

calala2k

Apr 22, 2005
ade said:
Sounds great that your husband doesn't want to meet dominicans - but why are you checking out all things dominican on this website? Do you find adapting to living with a dominican difficult?

just intresting really and no adapting to living with him is not difficult i lived with him before he even came to uk for a long while it was only when i found out i was pregnant i returned home to have baby here. ive seen posts on here and they automatically thinkall dominicans are sanky just adding my 2ps worth to say they are not all like that!!

ade

Jun 14, 2005
calala2k said:
just intresting really and no adapting to living with him is not difficult i lived with him before he even came to uk for a long while it was only when i found out i was pregnant i returned home to have baby here. ive seen posts on here and they automatically thinkall dominicans are sanky just adding my 2ps worth to say they are not all like that!!

my dominican husband is great too, and you're right a lot of bad stuff is written about people on this site but I suppose you have to read between the lines and disregard the things that you don't relate to.

beckythompson82

Dec 3, 2007
Hello All,
Nice to see some positive feedback about Dominicans. My husband is from the DR and for the last 3 year we have been Island hopping together in the Caribbean. This may sound glam but we have been working very hard in the diving industry making very little money. 5 months ago we were blessed with our beautiful son William and we are now thinking about relocating to the UK and getting "proper" jobs.
My biggest concern is that he will find it very difficult to adapt to the daily grind that is life in the UK. Having never lived outside the Caribbean I don't know if he really understands how different life is here. I have tried to give him the most honest picture of what life is like here but it is so alien to him I don't think it's getting through. Add this to the fact that most people he speaks to in Isla Margarita (where we currently live) would kill for the chance to get into the UK, I think he is getting the impression that the streets are paved in gold!
If any of you have been through a similar situation and have any advise I would apreciate your feedback. Plus, any of you know where to get Dominican food or booze in the UK it would be a big help.
Thanks

jrosario

Dec 3, 2007
Your husband sound like he is ready for a new adventure, since your are from the UK make sure you have many contacts and friends ready to help with a job, make sure he is not looking at the UK just like another place for vacation.

N

naturelover

good luck with wahtever you decide

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2004
Never seen Dominican rum or Presidente Beer for sale in Britain (opportunity for soemone here?). If you end up in London, Brixton market is an excellent source of plantains and other Dominican vegetables. Sainsburys nearly always sells Dominican Fairtrade chocolate and bananas.

Good luck with the move to Britain it can be hard but my wife (Dominican) finds many positive things to say about the country - and certainly prefers it to Spain.

We have a few close Dominican friends but don't make a point of searching them out - other than the country you may find you have very little in common with them.

nightrider

Feb 22, 2007
Dominican in UK

Hello I live in gosport, 7 moths now and looking for people friendly dominican in uk.:bunny:

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
My husband knows many dominicans here in the UK, feel free to pm me. There is also a site set up which gets everyone connected Dominican Connection (currently the site is offline but I am told it will be back up and running in March) :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Of course with the marriage scandal currently brewing in the Dr, many of those Dominicans might not really be married to their "spouses".....

What a mess and what a field day for lawyers. I wish I really had studied the law...

HB

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
Really??

What's this scandal then? I'm intrigued! :cheeky:

Well at least if I'm affected should I choose to chop hubby in for a younger model, they'll be no need for divorce fees hehehehehe

x

asp44

Jan 22, 2008
Not sure if anyone noticed on the DR1 news pages but Brugal company has been bought by Edrington UK, who process Famous Grouse whiskey and lots of other well known whiskey brands. So it's possible that in the near future you may be able to get hold of Dominican Rum in the UK, as I would imagine Edrington will want to distribute it in their homeland.

Here's hoping anyway! My partners eyes lit up when he heard about it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Rachel you made a common mi8stake!

The last post that you responded to was from Jan,2008,almost 2 1/2 years ago.

They have all,most likely,split up by now! :rolleyes:

CRIS COLON

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
You sound odd, proud of a man for doing what a man should. As if you are shocked by his normality as a bloke. Again, the women are the aliens imo!