Child-friendly beaches in Samana

Jeanie

Jul 20, 2005
Hello,

We are planning a holiday on Samana in jan-feb. We?re travelling with a 2 yr old and a 6 yr old. Which beach is the best for kids? Las Terrenas/Las Galeras/something else?

No high waves, no currents and a reef to snorkle at, is the dream.

We apreciate any suggestions or information about calm beaches preferrably with good snorkelling!

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Playita beach in...

the Las Galeras area is probably the most child-friendly beach on the peninsula with a completely protected beach with no current and a delightful little reef that starts in less than 3 feet of water. It is about a 5 minute walk from the village's hotels. The main beach directly in front of Las Galeras is also very well protected also with very little current but snorkeling is limited to reefs further offshore. In January or February, when wind swings into the north, the beaches of Las Terrenas on the north side of the peninsula tend to get rough with choppy waves and snorkeling visibility is considerably reduced. And when a "norther" blows (a cold front dropping down from North America) the northern peninsula beaches can become very rough.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Andy B said:
the Las Galeras area is probably the most child-friendly beach on the peninsula with a completely protected beach with no current and a delightful little reef that starts in less than 3 feet of water. It is about a 5 minute walk from the village's hotels. The main beach directly in front of Las Galeras is also very well protected also with very little current but snorkeling is limited to reefs further offshore. In January or February, when wind swings into the north, the beaches of Las Terrenas on the north side of the peninsula tend to get rough with choppy waves and snorkeling visibility is considerably reduced. And when a "norther" blows (a cold front dropping down from North America) the northern peninsula beaches can become very rough.
Punta Bonita is good also, a nice bay with no waves or current......just a little further west.

Jeanie

Jul 20, 2005
Snorkelling at Playa Bonita?

ggn420 said:
Punta Bonita is good also, a nice bay with no waves or current......just a little further west.

Thank you for your answer! We?ve been looking at Playa Bonita (if it?s it the same as Punta Bonita?). The bay looks very nice but is there something to look at for snorkellers?

And is it possible to walk in to las Terrenas with a stroller or are there restaurants etc. at Playa Bonita?

Is it a crowded beach and is it more of an "all-inclusive-kind-of-place" or are there budget travellers there also?

Grateful for answers agin!

Jeanie

Jul 20, 2005
Three weeks in Las Galeras?

Thank you Andy, for your answer. Playita beach sounds perfect to us!

The only thing I hesitate about is if Las Galeras is too small to spend three weeks in? I went there once, but it was long ago and only for two days without kids. We ARE looking for peace and quiet and we all love to spend days on the beach. But I worry Las Galeras is too small...

Is it possible to stroll around in Las Galeras and choose different restaurants, caf?s etc. Are there any boutiques? Are there things to do with kids?

I am so grateful for answers again!

Jeanie

Jul 20, 2005
Reefs and snorkelling in las Terrenas?

Thank you Dolores for your answer. At the website you linked to it says that there are reefs outside the beach. Is it along all Las Terrenas beach or just outside El Portillo?

Are the reefs far out from the beach or possible to reach without a boat?

Thank you again!

Dolores said:
Las Terrenas, is the most young child-friendly.

See http://dr1.com/directories/hotels/portillo.shtml

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Playa Bonita beach is one of my teenage sons' favorite for its surf. It is a great beach for body boarding, but can become rough. Further down on Playa Bonita beach -- to the west, there is a quiet section, but it is not in front of the hotels. I do not think this beach is recommended for snorkelers because of the waves that are frequent at this beach.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Jeanie said:
Thank you Dolores for your answer. At the website you linked to it says that there are reefs outside the beach. Is it along all Las Terrenas beach or just outside El Portillo?

Are the reefs far out from the beach or possible to reach without a boat?

Thank you again!

I believe the reefs last all along Las Terrenas beach. Portillo has one of the most quiet sections of the beach.

I recommend this property because you can relax and let your children roam all around. I have never seen waves on this beach -- have been there frequently with the family. It is a very protected beach.

See other Samana options at http://dr1.com/directories/index.shtml

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
With three weeks...

I'd suggest that you split your vacation between Las Galeras and Las Terrenas. That way you can experience the tranquility of the quieter Las Galeras area and the more busy Las Terrenas area. Although there are now a handful of restaurants, salsa bars, botiques and other shops, it's not changed a lot since you were last there; still very peaceful in the Las Galeras area. Plan on winding down in sleepy Las Galeras and winding back up in the hustle and bustle of Las Terrenas. Check out www.samanaonline.com for more info about the two towns and other areas of the Samana peninsula.

Jeanie

Jul 20, 2005
Thanks again...

...Andy and Dolores for your answers. Yes, maybe we?ll split the vacation.

Thanks for your links. At Samanaonline they had not completed the info on the towns yet. Do you know other sites with a good tourist guide about Las Galeras. I?ve found a lot of info on LT but not so much about Las Galeras.

If you?re not tired of me yet - do you have a hotel to recommend at Las Galeras? The most important: close to the beach! We also want it clean and child-friendly but not in any way exclusive. Our budget is around 50 US dollars a night.

Moorea hotel in Las Galeras seems nice (we think that?s where we stayed seven years ago but it looked a bit different then). But we would prefer a bungalow, but havent found any, yet.

How is the situation at the hotels? Do you have to book in advance or are there useally rooms available if you just pop up? (Jan-feb).

ARe you welcome to eat at the all-inclusive-hotels restaurants even if you don?t stay there?

Many thanks again!

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
Jeanie said:
Thank you for your answer! We?ve been looking at Playa Bonita (if it?s it the same as Punta Bonita?). The bay looks very nice but is there something to look at for snorkellers?

And is it possible to walk in to las Terrenas with a stroller or are there restaurants etc. at Playa Bonita?

Is it a crowded beach and is it more of an "all-inclusive-kind-of-place" or are there budget travellers there also?

Grateful for answers agin!
I don't know how good the snorkelling will be, the reef is out a ways, you can't have both the good snorkle and the calm water usually one or the other. You will see most of the fish in the coral reef. Small water taxi boats will take you out for an hour for around 20 bucks.
Town will be too far for you and your bambino, it's a 10-15 ride in on motor bikes. I saw a couple of familys with small children on quads, seems everyone was renting them. They are just right for that type of terrain, roads are dirt and not all that good.
Budget travelers, yes, alot of Europeans, the place I stayed at was French run, very nice, on the beach for 55US with breakfast. In town is a bit of a rat race as usual, and a little noisey at night. You might be better off up in Punta Bonita, with your young child, and yes they are one and the same.
The name says it all. If your interested, I have the tel# for the Atlantis, if you wish to inquire.
Your pick is a good choice, you won't be disappointed.
Have fun!!

Jeanie

Jul 20, 2005
Atlantis

I?ve already found Atlantis home page and marked it. It looks very nice.

Many thanks!