Ahorita? (Mod edited the spelling)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
a couple of years ago I started using this word because I thought I understood its' meaning to mean "later". Tonight I looked it up in the dict. and didn't find it. Is it only used in the DR? Am I smoking crack in my understanding of this word?
What going on?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
johne said:
a couple of years ago I started using this word because I thought I understood its' meaning to mean "later". Tonight I looked it up in the dict. and didn't find it. Is it only used in the DR? Am I smoking crack in my understanding of this word?
What going on?

Ahora = Now

Ahorita = diminutive of 'ahora'

In the DR, 'ahorita' is used colloquially to mean now in the immediate urgent present, while 'ahora' means the not so urgent now (a little later).

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Thanks

Mirador said:
Ahora = Now

Ahorita = diminutive of 'ahora'

In the DR, 'ahorita' is used colloquially to mean now in the immediate urgent present, while 'ahora' means the not so urgent now (a little later).

I guess my problem is I dont know how to spell. Mixing my "o" s with my "A" s in the dict. Feel better now guess I can go to bed with yet another big problem off my mind. LOL Thanks

JOHN

Nelly

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
to matters more confusing

I think ahorita is used for " later" as well as "a little while ago". Do a search. It's been discussed before.

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004

Sorry Mirador, but you got it backwards.

Ahorita is later and ahora is now.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Thanks Anna

Anna Coniglio said:
John we've covered this already so if you'd like to read more posts about it

Click here
Looking at the prior dates of the tread I see I was away from my computer and missed the tread. (I was in the DR learning how not to use this word LOL)
JOHN

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Exactly what

Juniper said:

Sorry Mirador, but you got it backwards.

Ahorita is later and ahora is now.

all the girls say to me, "ahorita"

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
johne said:
all the girls say to me, "ahorita"

They really mean in a little while, unless you are talking to someone from Colombia, Bolivia, or other parts of South America.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Great

Juniper said:
They really mean in a little while, unless you are talking to someone from Colombia, Bolivia, or other parts of South America.

Now I feel better. At least there's hope!

JOHN

Status
Not open for further replies.