Need Info please.

Renaldo

Jul 21, 2005
My girlfriend is a Dominican but also has residency status in Spain. I would like to have her visit me in the US in the coming year. Is it easier for her to apply for a toursit visa from Spain than from the DR? She is an average Dominican girl and does not have a bank account, or own property. She does have a young daughter in the DR which I think would give the US a reason to believe she would have initiative to return and not overstay a US tourist visa. If anyone has advice on how I should proceed it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Odds are slim to none, regardless of where she applies for the visa - she's Dominican and not Spanish and that will be what they consider.

You can bet the US is plenty aware of the ease of entry into some European countries, e.g. Spain, Italy for DR citizens and girls especially (since they work as strippers and hookers there) and will be vigilant against thinking residence in Spain adds an air of legitimacy to the visa request.

Other than the fee and waiting it can't hurt to try.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Renaldo said:
She does have a young daughter in the DR which I think would give the US a reason to believe she would have initiative to return and not overstay a US tourist visa.
That won't have any bearing on the decision. Many Dominicans leave their children in the DR to be raised by the Grandparents while they have permanent residence in another country.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
rellosk said:
That won't have any bearing on the decision. Many Dominicans leave their children in the DR to be raised by the Grandparents while they have permanent residence in another country.

Or for a million other reasons. It might be looked at by the US as a reason she wouldn't want to go back than the other way around. Bottom line, hopeless and your gamble as to the $100 or so to try.

Renaldo

Jul 21, 2005
Thanks for the info. We are looking toward the future and it seems silly to talk of marriage etc., if she has never seen my country --- what if she doesn't like the US ( although that is hard to imagine). If we were married in the DR how does that change the equation?

Thanks Again,

renaldo

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Renaldo said:
Thanks for the info. We are looking toward the future and it seems silly to talk of marriage etc., if she has never seen my country --- what if she doesn't like the US ( although that is hard to imagine). If we were married in the DR how does that change the equation?

Thanks Again,

renaldo

Initally you'd have a wife without a visa to the USA vs. a girlfriend without one. Then you do the year long (+) sponsorship of her as a landed immigrant and go through those motions for which there is a weath of information for you to find with google, etc.

Not liking the US is not that hard to imagine for someone who has grown up in the third world and Spain. I like Americans just fine, and to visit just fine too, but I would not want to live in the US at all.