American Air @ Miami, FLA

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Over the last 5 weeks, I have had 4 connecting flights in/out of Miami Intl Airport with American Airlines.

Of the 4 flights, 3 were cancelled, thus costing 3 vacation days. During one of the vactions, AA lost our luggage for several days.

While at MIA, I found the service personel to be surly and not helpful. SDQ, POP,SJC airports were much more professional (believe it or not!).

A quick google search confirmed my suspicion: MIA is one of the worst airports in the country.

I will avoid AA & MIA from now on.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
I agree. A few weeks ago I had my choice of connecting in Miami to go to DR or Ft Lauderdale. I chose FLL. The airport in Miami is awful.

Although immigration in FLL on the way back is not that great either.

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
I like AA although I hate Miami airport. Last time I connected there, the AA agent ( Hatian that hardly spoke english) dropped by ID behind the computer and pretty much refused to pull out the desk to get it for me, she said I threw it there and it was not her fault and I almost missed my flight. This was how they treated me traveling FIRST class.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It is no picnic but I connect through MIA every month and frankly it has gotten quite good compared to a year ago when it was truly terrible - particularly with the ITI facility in D. I haven't required more than 30 minutes from door open to INS/Customs/back through security yet, and have done it in as little as 10.

The number of cancellations sound unusual but don't sound like they were all MIA-SDQ or SDQ-MIA flight though, were they?

To fly from FLL to SDQ means a San Juan connection, seems quite a lot of extra work for that, though clearing INS/Customs in SJU at times is not bad.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Spirit Airlines has...

a direct FLL to SDQ (and return) connection. When we returned to Fla in April we flew with them and were happy with the service (not to mention the low price).

However with a Canadian wife in the process of getting her green card (over a year now), I was EXTREMELY dismayed with the reception we got from US Immigration at FLL. We sat for almost an hour waiting for her clearance even though she has full permission to travel while the application is in progress. It's all in their computer. There were other foreigners also waiting to be cleared and the treatment they recieved made me embarrased to be an American. What a reception to the US for both my wife and the other visitors! FLL Immigration needs to get it's act together.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
NY1 said:
I agree. A few weeks ago I had my choice of connecting in Miami to go to DR or Ft Lauderdale. I chose FLL. The airport in Miami is awful.

Although immigration in FLL on the way back is not that great either.
You also have the option of changing in SJU which I have found to be a home run. The time between flights is 45 minutes(enough time for 20 beers or so)and Customs coming home is the best I have ever expierenced. They check nothing and your on your way. When home in the states, you go around that LONG line and on your way!!

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
damn and its too late for me to back outta my flight with AA stopping in MIA.. go thing I have a attitude so smotty people will know where to stick it if they're rude to me

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
dont mean to scare you, la_barbie....

la_barbie, what I wish I had done it pack a little of everything in my carry-on bag.

The flights that were cancelled were 2 MIA-BOS (4 weeks apart) flights and 1 MIA-POP flight. I wised up on the last flight that was cancelled. After about an hour of sitting on the plane, still at the gate, I asked the stewardess what the problem was. She said the mechanics were just double-checking one of the computers. At that point, I pulled out my cell phone and reserved 4 seats for a flight the following morning, at not charge (as a contigency plan). We extied the plane to take our chances the following morning.

That following morning I spoke with a passenger from the original flight. She said that all passengers sat in the plane for almost 4 hours before the flight was finally cancelled.

I'm sure this does not happen all the time. The fact that it happened to me on nearly every flight out of MIA recently makes me very unlucky. I'm not going to take another chance, though.

PS And worst of all.....someone took my bottle of very expensive Brugal (the one in the blue box) from the overhead bins!!!!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
la_barbie said:
damn and its too late for me to back outta my flight with AA stopping in MIA.. go thing I have a attitude so smotty people will know where to stick it if they're rude to me

That really works well with the US Homeland Security and the TSA, a snotty attitude, try it and see.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
jerryme said:
I like AA although I hate Miami airport. Last time I connected there, the AA agent ( Hatian that hardly spoke english) dropped by ID behind the computer and pretty much refused to pull out the desk to get it for me, she said I threw it there and it was not her fault and I almost missed my flight. This was how they treated me traveling FIRST class.
She figured that since you had money to throw away on first class you had time to throw away also! LOL

Escott

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
She was a bitch. It seemed everyone at AA in Miami was Haitian and everyone at the security checkpoints was middle eastern.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
we don't have any choice but use MIA for our route to DR. we absolutely hate the airport. there's not been one time where we've landed and immediately taxied to the portal. we always have to wait for one to come available.

Invariably, when we're landing, the stewardess announces the connecting gate numbers. They're always different than the one posted on the monitors. We learned the hard way one time by walking the 5 miles to one, only to find out it's been changed. We now ignore the stewardess.

it's also one of the few airports that don't have a smoking section within the security area. what's that mean? all the smokers go outside and then contribute to the long lines to be re-checked in. The airport has these atriums with plants open to the sky. why they can't have these areas for smokers is beyond me.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
JanH said:
we don't have any choice but use MIA for our route to DR. we absolutely hate the airport. there's not been one time where we've landed and immediately taxied to the portal. we always have to wait for one to come available.

Invariably, when we're landing, the stewardess announces the connecting gate numbers. They're always different than the one posted on the monitors. We learned the hard way one time by walking the 5 miles to one, only to find out it's been changed. We now ignore the stewardess.

it's also one of the few airports that don't have a smoking section within the security area. what's that mean? all the smokers go outside and then contribute to the long lines to be re-checked in. The airport has these atriums with plants open to the sky. why they can't have these areas for smokers is beyond me.
Is Hartford CT the only airport that offers the SJU change? I found this to be a home run. The layover is 45 minutes and the San Juan airport is beautifull with lots of stores and bars,(great if you get held over) but the best is still Customs. I have never seen them check anyone if your luggage is getting re-checked. VERY smooth operation, the airport people are POLITE, and when you get home(usually it's late) you go right around Customs long lines and out the door!! I never hear anyone mention this option. Miami, New York, and North Carolina are the other options for Hartford departures via AA.
Nice to see your back Jan......

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
We could go thru SJU but it requires overnight stay in MIA - based on our route.

GGN - Thanks - but never left - just lurked - posted couple times this year - not much for me to respond to - read DR1 news weekly.

May 31, 2005
ggn420 said:
Is Hartford CT the only airport that offers the SJU change? I found this to be a home run. The layover is 45 minutes and the San Juan airport is beautifull with lots of stores and bars,(great if you get held over) but the best is still Customs. I have never seen them check anyone if your luggage is getting re-checked. VERY smooth operation, the airport people are POLITE, and when you get home(usually it's late) you go right around Customs long lines and out the door!! I never hear anyone mention this option. Miami, New York, and North Carolina are the other options for Hartford departures via AA.
Nice to see your back Jan......
I go Orlando to SJU to SDQ.