Might be silly but a question..........

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Just curious, I've noticed every time I've been in the DR some dominicans offer me candy when I look at it's a HALLS candy? Personally I only use those if I have a cough or sore throat. I always did wonder why they seem to eat it as candy? Anyone know why it's a candy choice for some people? or maybe I'm the only one who noticed this? just curious.

On a funny note I gave a Dentyne Ice gum to a friend and there eyes nearly bulged out of there face hee hee the flavour is a little strong at first. I got a laugh out of it though :laugh:

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Music said:
Just curious, I've noticed every time I've been in the DR some dominicans offer me candy when I look at it's a HALLS candy? Personally I only use those if I have a cough or sore throat. I always did wonder why they seem to eat it as candy? Anyone know why it's a candy choice for some people? or maybe I'm the only one who noticed this? just curious.

On a funny note I gave a Dentyne Ice gum to a friend and there eyes nearly bulged out of there face hee hee the flavour is a little strong at first. I got a laugh out of it though :laugh:

Well,

Smokers use it, I guess is to feel the ice refreshing feel as they inhale. Hookers use it for tricks and the general population use it as a candy because it taste like vapor rub. You know that vapor rub cures all ailments in DR.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Hmmm interesting answers, thanks for your take on this! :classic:
Anyone else?

Stodgord said:
Well,

Smokers use it, I guess is to feel the ice refreshing feel as they inhale. Hookers use it for tricks and the general population use it as a candy because it taste like vapor rub. You know that vapor rub cures all ailments in DR.

amy2761

Island Body
Mar 16, 2003
www.dr1.com
Because it is candy!!!!

Music said:
Just curious, I've noticed every time I've been in the DR some dominicans offer me candy when I look at it's a HALLS candy? Personally I only use those if I have a cough or sore throat. I always did wonder why they seem to eat it as candy?

I don't think it's ever been advertised as a cough drop here ... correct me if I'm wrong :)

I never did understand why it was marketed as a cough drop in the first place ..... it's sugar and eating sugary stuff produces phlem (as milk does) right? So how would that help a cough besides making it worse causing you to buy MORE 'cough drops' to soothe your aching throat????!!!!!! Oh wait! I get it!! :bandit:

Stay well,
Amy

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Yes you could be right about the advertising but I'm not sure?

Well halls don't taste that great to me. I get a stomach ache if I have too many too lol they make me feel sick. Yes it has sugar but it doesn't taste as good as other candy no? :classic:
Thanks for your input!

amy2761 said:
I don't think it's ever been advertised as a cough drop here ... correct me if I'm wrong :)

I never did understand why it was marketed as a cough drop in the first place ..... it's sugar and eating sugary stuff produces phlem (as milk does) right? So how would that help a cough besides making it worse causing you to buy MORE 'cough drops' to soothe your aching throat????!!!!!! Oh wait! I get it!! :bandit:

Stay well,
Amy

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
All the time......

...........here in Costambar they eat the "red" halls. They call them "menta's".......which reminds me of another thing that drives me crazy...........they use that Vicks Vapor Rub for everything. They use it for headaches etc and it's much more expensive here than in the states.

All the people around my area in Costambar, Cafemba, buy the Vicks in a small tin the size of a US DOLLAR COIN, and rub it on their foreheads and anything that hurts for that matter...........so one day at the dollar store in the US, I bought about 10 bottles of it.........they were about 1/2 the size of a peanut butter jar.........when I came back I gave one of the people that work for me one and he immediately opened it, took out a HUGE hunk with his finger AND ATE IT!!!!!! He's says he eats it all the time, its good for his lungs! :tired: :bandit: :cross-eye

May 12, 2005
Funny that you mention the vick's vapo rub thing. On my last trip, I injured my foot, and while at my friend's mother's house, she put the vapo rub on it. Being from the US, i never had seen this before and thought it odd. So I said gracias, and smiled. It's things like this that just add to the charm of the place.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
You know that vapor rub cures all ailments in DR.[/QUOTE]

Spot on about Vick's Vapor Rub. But remember that Dominicans pronounce it "vee-vay--poo-roo".

Scandall

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
How about?

A Dominican that works for me in NYC offered one to me recently-I said no I don't have a cold-he looks at me like I was a Martian.

JOHN

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Scandall said:
You know that vapor rub cures all ailments in DR.

Spot on about Vick's Vapor Rub. But remember that Dominicans pronounce it "vee-vay--poo-roo".

Scandall[/QUOTE]

Very close, but I think it's more like bis---bapo-roo .

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Thanks everyone at least I know it wasn't just me who noticed this :laugh:
Hey Vicks vapour rub or should I say bibaporu hee hee works for me when I have a cough.
Well every culture have there remedies I know my Mom has lots of them, some which are gross sometimes :classic:
so next time I get offered a menta I'll say no thanks ;) :classic:

POP Bad Boy- I can't imagine eating the Vicks Vapour Rub yuk i hope it worked at least :laugh:

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
What about "fletcha". I think it's a chinese product. It is used the same way as Vicks. A cure all. But it is a lot more potent. My wife put some on my temples when I had a cold. I thought my face was going to melt off. ANd I prayed that it would just to be rid of the stuff. I guess that burning sensation means it's working. Right?

poochie77

Jun 21, 2005
I have a Dominican friend here in Canada and he offered me a halls I said "I don't have a cold" he said it's just candy I like the strawberry flavour.
It was strange but now it all makes sense if that's what he was used to in the DR. I'll have to ask him!
Thanks for the insight.

lsylla01

Aug 10, 2004
As far as vapor rub is concerned, I've seen someone warm up some water and put in about a spoonful of vapor rub and drink it when they had a cold while I was in the DR last. Even after reading and translating the instructions, the response was, "My mother gave it to us as a child."

The stuff already has a strong enough smell. But to smell it on someone's breath...man, you can imagine!

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I know they have Excel cherry flavoured gum it tastes like cough medicine/halls to me I hate it yuk yet some love it.
I think it would sell well in the DR ;) :classic: I should remember to bring some on my next trip :classic:

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Tufo.. Alcohol breath

I'm dominican and I use it to fight 'Tufo' = alcohol breath. It works for me so if I drink beer or something else, you bet I have Hall's in my pocket.

Cant' wait.. 8 more days to DR...AH.. presidente, chicas, fritos.. all the bad stuff that makes me feel Dominicano hasta la tambora..

Zeus (primus inter pares). :eek: :nervous:

nyjcr

Feb 25, 2005
Stodgord said:
Well,

This is the funniest thing ever... good job Stodgord.

On a little different note, a while back there was a movie, in which a Greek man used to do the same with glass cleaner Windex!... hilarious