Hidden / Quiet / Remote beaches?

maharashii

Jul 1, 2005
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a quick suggestion on a place to visit for the weekend. I'll head out from Azua (1.5 hours west of Santo Domingo) tomorrow afternoon. It's my last weekend here in the DR, and I'd love to spend it swinging on a hammock by the ocean, drinking a beer, and enjoying the waves.

The perfect beach would have a safe place to sleep where I could hear the ocean (either a hammock on the beach or a caba?a), very few people (I don't mind hoofing it a ways to find a secluded spot), and somebody who will sell me food and beer.

I don't really want a fancy hotel or an AI.

I've considered punta rucia, which sounds like it could be just the ticket, though I'm a bit concerned about how I'd get there (would like to avoid renting a vehicle) and I've read that it's becoming quite touristed.

In case anyone's been to any of these places, I'm thinking something like Canoa (Ecuador) or Playa Para?so, Tulum, or Bah?a Kino (M?xico).

Any thoughts? My compa?eros would prefer someplace a little more established, so bonus points if there is a hotel nearby for them.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
maharashii said:
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a quick suggestion on a place to visit for the weekend. I'll head out from Azua ...QUOTE]

You don't need to go any further. What you want is right there in the province of Azua. And it's called 'Caobita' (from the Taino 'Coaybay' or 'land of the dead', because of the protruding reef of broken coral that looks just like piles of human bones).

maharashii

Jul 1, 2005
I've heard of this place from some of the locals.

Can you give me an idea what I will find there? What services are available (food, beer, lodging)?

How do I get there?

What kind of beach is it - sand, dirt, pebbles?

My Spanish is ok, but I have a hard time with the accent around here. I'm not sure if this is the place they told me you could only get to by boat, or if this is the place that's like a 30 minute guagua ride away from Azua.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
maharashii said:
to answer some of my own questions - it looks like a nice sandy beach, and there are mussels to eat and coconuts to drink.

http://www1.tip.nl/~t794614/azcaoeng.htm

I just have to figure out how to get there, where I'll stay, and how crowded it will be.

Maharishi, if you teach me how to transcendental meditate, I'll show you the way to Caobita beach. hee hee, just kidding ;-)

I was there with my family and some friends about three weeks ago. We stayed from morning to late evening, and during the entire time we only saw a mussel fisherman far away in a mangrove. The place is exactly like Boca Chica (about 10 times more extensive), during the Pleistocene, which means there's absolutely nothing there except nature in its most pristine, which means you will have to find your own transportation, and take everything you will need. Directions: about 10 kilometers down a gravel road from the town of Barreras.

maharashii

Jul 1, 2005
Any accomodations nearby? Is it safe/comfortable to sleep on the beach? Caba?as or anything available?

I gave up on the TM a few years ago, but I am now an ordained ULC minister (www.ulc.org), so if you'd like to get married or become ordained yourself, I can hook ya up :)

JRR

Dec 9, 2004
Speaking of quiet/hidden/remote beaches

One of the things I miss most about the states are the clothing optional beaches.

Anyone know of any on the island?

Anyone know of a beach secluded enough?....and still safe? :confused: :confused:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
maharashii said:
Any accomodations nearby? Is it safe/comfortable to sleep on the beach? Caba?as or anything available?

I gave up on the TM a few years ago, but I am now an ordained ULC minister (www.ulc.org), so if you'd like to get married or become ordained yourself, I can hook ya up :)

Nothing, no accomodations at all (no caba?as, no restaurants, no nothing.) nearby. If you're not the adventerous kind, then forget it. It could even be dangerous for you.

You mean I could become a bonafide church minister? a genuine man-of-the-cloth? like the Reverend Al Sharpton? Reverend Mirador, has a ring to it, don't you think ;-)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
maharashii said:

I have been an ordained ULC minister since 1981.

Escott

maharashii

Jul 1, 2005
Mirador said:
Nothing, no accomodations at all (no caba?as, no restaurants, no nothing.) nearby. If you're not the adventerous kind, then forget it. It could even be dangerous for you.
It sounds like a great beach. I'd love to make a day trip of it but we don't have time. Overnight would be nice if I could get someone to come with me (safety in numbers and all that) but I don't have a hammock or a tent (and nobody wants to come with me).

In the meantime, the roommates and I have decided to try and reach Playa Rinc?n this weekend.

Our plan is to catch a Caribe bus from Azua to Santo Domingo, and then from Santo Domingo to Saman? (departing around 4PM). Then we'll catch a guagua or something to Las Galeras, where we'll try and get a relatively inexpensive place to stay (3 to a room should be doable). We'll probably be arriving pretty late, so I'm going to try and call around tomorrow morning. Any suggestions?

From there we can get a motoconcho or a ferry (~$10US) to Playa Rinc?n, which I hope is sufficiently remote and sandy for my taste.

I'm a little disappointed that I won't be doing any beach camping while I'm on the island, but there's always next time.

You mean I could become a bonafide church minister? a genuine man-of-the-cloth? like the Reverend Al Sharpton? Reverend Mirador, has a ring to it, don't you think ;-)
The great part is, you're already a minister. Preach on brother! If you want to make it official (so you can prove yourself to those pesky county governments or get good parking spots at churches) just visit us online at ulc.org and get your certificate today! I've performed two legal wedding ceremonies as a minister in the state of Illinois. You can too :)

escott said:
I have been an ordained ULC minister since 1981.
We're everywhere!

miguelito said:
Do not forget the trip report when you are done.
Please.
will do sir

I can't believe my time in the DR is almost up. Anyone know of an equivalent to dr1.com for Malawi? I'll be there for 3 months after I leave here...

maharashii

Jul 1, 2005
The bus from Santo Domingo to Saman? is full, and we already have tickets to go from Azua to Santo Domingo! crap.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
maharashii said:
The great part is, you're already a minister. Preach on brother! If you want to make it official (so you can prove yourself to those pesky county governments or get good parking spots at churches) just visit us online at ulc.org and get your certificate today! I've performed two legal wedding ceremonies as a minister in the state of Illinois. You can too :)

Maha, sorry to say but your ministry ordination is worthless in the DR. According to the law (Concordat with the Vatican), only Catholic priests can perform wedding ceremonies in the DR.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
maharashii said:
The bus from Santo Domingo to Saman? is full, and we already have tickets to go from Azua to Santo Domingo! crap.

Go ahead! try your luck. There are always no-shows at the bus station, and you can even try bribing a passenger or two for their seats.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
sd to samana

there are about 10 guaguas to samana every day from bus station on caracas an enriquillo{not sure of spelling)phone number is 6871470..always room for one more
bob

maharashii

Jul 1, 2005
Mirador said:
only Catholic priests can perform wedding ceremonies in the DR.
ahhh, where's the love man. i'm feeling persecuted ;)

As for the bus situation, we decided to just wing it. We had no luck at Caribe tours for a bus to Saman? or to Santiago, and it was getting late, so we decided to change plans and go to Santiago for the night via Guagua.

In hindsight, we'd have been much better off leaving the office around noon, catching a guagua to Santo Domingo, and another guagua to Saman?. The caribe buses always seem to run slow getting into Santo Domingo and they are often oversold.