the streets, and sidewalks as restroom areas. Not only does this bring down
property value, but what about the tourist that our country depends so much
on? What impression do they get of us? Although many of us that are from the
Dominican Republic can tell the difference between a Haitian and a
Dominican. Those that come visit us from foreign countries don't know the
difference between the 2. For all they know, they are Dominicans. If the
Dominican government does not act on this issue. In a few years the typical
Dominican will look,speak,and act like Haitians, and there will be no
difference between the 2. Our Spanish culture will eventually disintegrate.
Once again let me make myself clear. I don't feel this way about all
Haitians. Just those that migrate illegally. If a Haitian migrates to the
Dominican Republic correctly, by obtaining visas, and progress in our
country therefore helping us build our country into an even better place
than what it is. I am all for it. but if they come to our country to be in
equal or worst of conditions than what they were before they got there. I am
totally against it. My solution to this growing problem would be to enforce
the borders, deport all illegal immigrants, and simultaneously do are very
best to help Haiti in there governmental and economic issues to prevent this
problem form reoccurring. The officers that guard the borders also need to
get there act together, because it is no secret that a great number of them
allow illegal Haitians to pass through the border for there own personal
financial gain. These men should be dismissed from their duties, and
arrested. Officers, and soldiers from the Dominican Republic should be
taught to take pride in there country, and due there very best to defend it.
Whatever president, or political leader who will take charge, to confront
this issue, and put an end to it. I guarantee will be considered as one of
the best Dominican presidents in history. And will be viewed as a national
hero, and a historical icon, such as Juan Pablo Duarte. I am not the only
Dominican who feels this way, but the vast majority of us all have this same
concern. We should all come together, and unite to attack this growing
problem. By letting our voices be heard. Bombard the local Dominican
newspapers, and government with emails, and letters. Pleading with them to
address this situation. If we don't stand up, and do what we have to do as a
democracy, this situation will never be resolved, and the problem will
continue until it eats us up like cancer.

May 31, 2005
I agree that illegal immigrants are a problem but it will always happen. Not just in the DR but in the US as well.
pimentel79 said:
In a few years the typical
Dominican will look,speak,and act like Haitians, and there will be no
difference between the 2. Our Spanish culture will eventually disintegrate.
Once again let me make myself clear. I don't feel this way about all
Haitians. Just those that migrate illegally. If a Haitian migrates to the
Dominican Republic correctly, by obtaining visas, and progress in our
country therefore helping us build our country into an even better place
than what it is. I am all for it.
What I do not agree with is this comment that I quoted. I do not think that the typical Dominican will look, speak, and act like the Haitians that come here illegally. You say that it's OK for a Haitian to migrate legally. OK. Why don't you think that Dominicans will start to look, speak, and act like them and have their Spanish language disintegrate? I just don't get where you are coming from with these comments. When you say Spanish culture are you talking about white Dominicans(descendants of spaniards) or about the Dominican culture. I get confused when Americans use Spanish like that. They think that everyone that speaks Spanish is spanish.

Here's a thought. We can enforce the migration laws or whatever they have in place but once those poor people are here begging on the streets and making our city streets look ugly, we should do something about that too. Like helping them with housing, jobs, healthcare. That way they will not be in the streets like that. Not just for illegal Haitian immigrant beggars on the streets but also for Dominican beggars on the streets.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
The DR government has to resolve illegal immigration issues

Illegal migration is a world problem. Once there are open borders (and I consider the Dominican border to be an open one) the flow of illegal Haitians will continue. The so-called border guards obviously don't have true interest in protecting the border and as a result the root of the problem originates there. The increased flow of Haitians is a direct reflection of the current situation in Haiti which is probably worse than ever since 2004.

My primary concern about illegal immigration is that it hurts the country's economic pocket. An already categorically poor country like the DR with corrupt politicians who rob endlessly from its own citizens is not in a position to deal with a problem of this magnitude. As well, the problem should not be left in the hands of the individual citizens to assume. The DR government has to play a key role and work jointly with Haitian officials to work towards a solution.

In terms of the dissipation of culture, language etc. that is not an overnight process. Are you saying Dominican culture is currently at stake? I think you need to re-evaluate that assessment and understand how culture and language evolve historically over time.

Pimentel79 I appreciate the civility of your opening comments and hopefully the discussion will remain this way.

LDG.

Last edited:

pimentel79

Jul 24, 2005
originally posted by dragonfly32837 - (What I do not agree with is this comment that I quoted. I do not think that the typical Dominican will look, speak, and act like the Haitians that come here illegally. You say that it's OK for a Haitian to migrate legally. OK. Why don't you think that Dominicans will start to look, speak, and act like them and have their Spanish language disintegrate? I just don't get where you are coming from with these comments.)

my response - You raised a valid point when you wrote your message, but here is why I don't think our dominican culture will not be threatened as much by Haitians migrating to the Dominican Republic legally.
First of all, if a Haitian can obtain a visa to come to the Dominican Republic. Most likely he will also be able to obtain a visa to go elsewhere such as the U.S. The desire for them to come to the U.S. will out weigh there desire to come to the Dominican Republic, because there is more oppurtunity in the U.S. than there is in D.R. The economy in the U.S. is one of the best in the world.
And let's just say many of them can't obtain visa's to go anywhere else, but the Dominican Republic. It won't stop them completely from migrating to DR, but it will definately slow it down alot.

pimentel79

Jul 24, 2005
Lesley D said:
My primary concern about illegal immigration is that it hurts the country's economic pocket. An already categorically poor country like the DR with corrupt politicians who rob endlessly from its own citizens is not in a position to deal with a problem of this magnitude. As well, the problem should not be left in the hands of the individual citizens to assume. The DR government has to play a key role and work jointly with Haitian officials to work towards a solution.

In terms of the dissipation of culture, language etc. that is not an overnight process. Are you saying Dominican culture is currently at stake? I think you need to re-evaluate that assessment and understand how culture and language evolve historically over time.

Pimentel79 I appreciate the civility of your opening comments and hopefully the discussion will remain this way.

LDG.

I completely 100% agree with Your statement about the Dominican govt. having to play a key roll, but we as a people need to speak up, and let our voices be heard. If we do they will have no choice, but to act. We must do this if we want results. Even if we have to twist there arm to get there attention.

As far as Dominican culture being at stake. Maybe I was pushing it a little, but in the future if this continues it won't be the same as we know it today. The primary language in the DR might not just be spanish, but maybe creole as well.

I don't know who's idea it was to open a website such as this one, but I'd like to say that this site is awesome. Because I am a Dominican born and bread in the states, it makes it much easier for me to express my feelings, and concerns in english. I know there are many of us who feel the same way. And I have been very impressed with the topics that people put up, and there way of expressing themselves. Every Dominican should be as educated as those who write in these message boards.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
There Will Be More,NOT LESS!!!!!!!!!!! Illegal Immigration

As long as the Haitians will do the work that the Dominicans refuse to do,for wages that Dominicans will not accept,the flood of Haitians into the DR will continue!! The Government can pay "Lipservice" to the "Stop Illegal Immigration" movement,but the reality is they will not,and more probably can not stop it! All Dominicans and "Foreigners" reap the benefits of Haitians "cutting the cane",building the houses,condos,and hotels, caring for our houses and children,and $crewing" us at the beaches."Cheap Illegal Immigrant Labor" will win the day over "Phony Nationalistic Rhetoric" here as it has everywhere else in the World!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

May 31, 2005
Criss Colon. No tienes pelos en la lengua. That's a good thing though. That means that you tell it like it is and don't cut any corners.