simpatica??

Status
Not open for further replies.

susy

Sep 30, 2004
sorry if the spelling is incorrect but what does that mean in english. if a person is sympatica/simpatica?? Does it mean that the person is sweet and sensitive or does it mean that they are good looking??

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The spelling is 'simpatica' and it means you are a pleasant, friendly and charming person. :) The opposite is 'antipatica'.

dancebaby

Jul 6, 2004
Chirimoya said:
The spelling is 'simpatica' and it means you are a pleasant, friendly and charming person. :) The opposite is 'antipatica'.
I was taught simpatica = nice [person]

susy - was it used to describe you and you thought they were saying you are good looking? :cheeky:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
simpat?ca for female and simpat?co for males means pleasant, nice and like Chiri said antipatica is the opposite which means annoying, unpleasant.

These two words have the exact same meaning in Italian and it has more to do with personalty than looks.

susy

Sep 30, 2004
dancebaby said:
I was taught simpatica = nice [person]

susy - was it used to describe you and you thought they were saying you are good looking? :cheeky:

Well they used the words simpatica and hermosa. so i would assume that they were refering to be being friendly and good looking.

I'm portuguese and mom and i were watching troy and then she said oh he's muinto sympatica. then i remembered they some guys in the dominican saying that to me. I wasn't sure of the difference between the two languages.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
susy said:
I'm portuguese and mom and i were watching troy and then she said oh he's muinto sympatica.

If your Mom was referring to Brad Pitt he is definately not simpat?co, he's a hunk. ;)

Ok now how would we say "he's a hunk" in Spanish?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
If your Mom was referring to Brad Pitt he is definately not simpat?co, he's a hunk. ;)

Ok now how would we say "he's a hunk" in Spanish?
'Esta buenisimo'.

'Hermosa' means beautiful so you win on both counts, Susy.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
susy said:
Well they used the words simpatica and hermosa. so i would assume that they were refering to be being friendly and good looking.

I'm portuguese and mom and i were watching troy and then she said oh he's muinto sympatica. then i remembered they some guys in the dominican saying that to me. I wasn't sure of the difference between the two languages.
If you & your mom are truly Portuguese, then you should know that your mom said muito (not muinto) simp?tico because Brad is male. Use of the feminine form would imply something else altogether... ;)

Keith
Norteamericano por nascimento, dominicano por casamento, mas no cora??o, sempre brasileiro!

susy

Sep 30, 2004
Keith R said:
If you & your mom are truly Portuguese, then you should know that your mom said muito (not muinto) simp?tico because Brad is male. Use of the feminine form would imply something else altogether... ;)

Keith
Norteamericano por nascimento, dominicano por casamento, mas no cora??o, sempre brasileiro!

sorry, yes your right i ment to say the masuline format of this. my mistake. i was thinking about the female context when i heard it in the dominican.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Keith
Norteamericano por nascimento, dominicano por casamento, mas no cora??o, sempre brasileiro![/QUOTE]

I guess you learn something new every day...I didn't know you were Brazilian.

susy

Sep 30, 2004
trina said:
Keith

I guess you learn something new every day...I didn't know you were Brazilian.[/QUOTE]

I was born and raised in hamilton, ontario, canada. my parents are portuguese born in sao miguel, azores in portugal.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I seem to have forgotten what Keith's connection to Portuguese is but I'm sure he'll tell us. Right Keith?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
xamaicano said:
How did you know?

Or maybe it was me that was muy caliente while watching him in that movie. ;) Either way works. He looks , I feel. :laugh:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
trina said:
I guess you learn something new every day...I didn't know you were Brazilian.
Only in my heart, Trina, which is what the sentence says (Born North American, Dominican by marriage, but always Brazilian in my heart). I've been studying/learning/interacting with Brazil since 1978, long before I met my dominicana wife and first traveled to the DR (in 1979, for a few months as a poor student). {I even took my wife to Brasil for our honeymoon in 1986 so she could get to know "my other country"). I read/speak/write (sometimes even think) in Portuguese all the time for my work, and travel to Brazil every year on business, although each time I make sure that I take some time off to visit with my Brazilian friends too. I love Brazilian literature (it has a rich literary history). I love Brazilian cuisine, particularly Bahian (ever had a mouqueca mixta? hmmmm). I love samba, bossa nova, Brazilian jazz and rock and am even enjoying getting to know "hippi hop" (Brazilian blending of hip hop and Brazilian rythyms). The Brazilians have always made me feel welcomed and like one of their own, so it has been very easy to love the country and its people.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
trina said:
Keith

I guess you learn something new every day...I didn't know you were Brazilian.[/QUOTE]

Actually Keith said he was American by birth, but a Brazilian at heart, besides being Dominican by marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.