Hair Braiding

XLiLPriNcEsSJ

Jul 25, 2005
I just found out that my family and I are going to DR on August 25th!!! I was wondering, how much does it cost to get your hair braided? When I was in Mexico, it was around 25 USD.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
M

Mr.Mark

A friend of mine told me that it costs 1 USD each braid. But that was a long time ago, I don't know if it's more expensive now. I guess that they charge a bit more now.

If you go to a "non-touristic" zone, you will obviously get a better rate for you.

XLiLPriNcEsSJ said:
I just found out that my family and I are going to DR on August 25th!!! I was wondering, how much does it cost to get your hair braided? When I was in Mexico, it was around 25 USD.

Thanks!!

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Touristic zones ( negotiable of course ) about 1 US each, correct.
All hair probably a little cheaper, around 30-40 US..

Outside, like downtown or by friends, all hair appr. 150 pesos.. but a tourist never gets to this of course.

M

Mr.Mark

What if she goes with a local? -Not offering myself, of course-
I think that happens in the Northern Coast, but maybe in Santo Domingo she can have it done cheaper. Of course, what's the fuss with all of this? Maybe she'll save herself 24 dollars, but she will spend it in the trip to Santo Domingo.

carina said:
Touristic zones ( negotiable of course ) about 1 US each, correct.
All hair probably a little cheaper, around 30-40 US..

Outside, like downtown or by friends, all hair appr. 150 pesos.. but a tourist never gets to this of course.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Doesn?t work that way...
Tourist is tourist, person living here ( expat or local ) is local.
Different prices, different living areas, different social lifes.

M

Mr.Mark

carina said:
Doesn?t work that way...
Tourist is tourist, person living here ( expat or local ) is local.
Different prices, different living areas, different social lifes.

I tend to not agree with that 100%. I mean, of course they'll try to make her spend more money, but you can well tell them something like: I know x is your rate for this, I could pay you a 20% more for that than its real price. You can either let me go and pay 30-40 dollars in Boca Chica or you can win some extra money. Is your call... That works, who would lose the opportunity to make some money just because for some reason they think they should take all the advantage they can from a tourist?

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Mr.Mark said:
I tend to not agree with that 100%. I mean, of course they'll try to make her spend more money, but you can well tell them something like: I know x is your rate for this, I could pay you a 20% more for that than its real price. You can either let me go and pay 30-40 dollars in Boca Chica or you can win some extra money. Is your call... That works, who would lose the opportunity to make some money just because for some reason they think they should take all the advantage they can from a tourist?

The only ones a tourist ever will meet doing brades are the ladies walking the beach. They make good money, they wouldn?t in their dreams lower the price down to a local price. They don?t even deal with locals here.
The ones a local would go to is a neigbour or someone knowing someone... and pay her about 100-150 pesos.
The touristoriented ones, don?t make a damn xxxx for local money.

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Hairbraiding...

I've had mine done twice in the Dominican Republic....

!. Beach Vendors at Playa Dorada, paid 400 pesos for full head of just below shoulder length hair. This converted to at the time about $30 CDN. Yahh I shoulda bartered a bit.. I know I got taken.

2. Trip number two was at a Salon in Sosua.. can't remember the name of it, settled at again 300 pesos for whole head, a bit longer. At this time it converted to about $12 CDN.

Definately barter with them... they expect you to do it and it works!

M

Mr.Mark

I know, Carina. I was talking precisely about her going to a neighbour of someone she knows here. I wasn't talking about her going to a tourist-oriented braider.
Have I expressed myself better now?

carina said:
The only ones a tourist ever will meet doing brades are the ladies walking the beach. They make good money, they wouldn?t in their dreams lower the price down to a local price. They don?t even deal with locals here.
The ones a local would go to is a neigbour or someone knowing someone... and pay her about 100-150 pesos.
The touristoriented ones, don?t make a damn xxxx for local money.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Mr.Mark said:
I know, Carina. I was talking precisely about her going to a neighbour of someone she knows here. I wasn't talking about her going to a tourist-oriented braider.
Have I expressed myself better now?

Agree with you. If she knows someone here, of course it?s another deal.
My previous comments were directed to the general touristcrowd.
As being a tourist, it might still be a fun thing to do, and bargain a little, pay a price that is high for locals but ok for them, and that?s it.
If you are a tourist and here for a week, very few will spend time (or waste ) finding someone to do it for a local price!! ;)

bozorboso

May 16, 2005
CanadianCutie22 said:
2. Trip number two was at a Salon in Sosua.. can't remember the name of it, settled at again 300 pesos for whole head, a bit longer. At this time it converted to about $12 CDN.
QUOTE]
CanadianCutie22 said:
was this the salon on the way to the beach in Sosua that has the fake woman's head with the braids? although i didn't get my hair done, i thought the head was so funny/creepy i had to get my picture taken with it : )

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I have never understood why girls and women are doing that braids thing. I have never seen one that has looked better with those braids than they did before.

XLiLPriNcEsSJ

Jul 25, 2005
Tor said:
I have never understood why girls and women are doing that braids thing. I have never seen one that has looked better with those braids than they did before.

i like it beacuse my hair frizzes out due to the humidity. It's just easier...and plus..I do look really good with my hair braided...not to sound conceited, but i do get a lot of compliments from complete strangers when i have it done. :lick:

M

Mr.Mark

Haven't seen you with those braids, but...

Complete strangers-wolves that are after doves like you. If you think that it is because local at the beaches tell you, then don't take the compliment seriously.

XLiLPriNcEsSJ said:
i like it beacuse my hair frizzes out due to the humidity. It's just easier...and plus..I do look really good with my hair braided...not to sound conceited, but i do get a lot of compliments from complete strangers when i have it done. :lick:

XLiLPriNcEsSJ

Jul 25, 2005
Mr.Mark said:
Complete strangers-wolves that are after doves like you. If you think that it is because local at the beaches tell you, then don't take the compliment seriously.

ummm...no actually, it's beacuse i do look good. I getr other people at the resort telling me that my hair looks great...and even when my hair is still in braids when i come home,and my friends and family see it they all love it. I really dont' have to explain myself to you, but I thought I would respond to your rude comment.

Last edited:

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
Not sure if its the same Salon, it was just down the street to the right, right after the Breezes shuttle bus drops yah off. A very prego lady who worked at the Salon was waitin for us to get off the bus. I found it to be a neat experience, getting it done in the Salon where other dominicanas were gettin their hair done.. too bad I didn't know much spanish then though!

bozorboso said:
CanadianCutie22 said:
QUOTE]
CanadianCutie22 said:
was this the salon on the way to the beach in Sosua that has the fake woman's head with the braids? although i didn't get my hair done, i thought the head was so funny/creepy i had to get my picture taken with it : )

CanadianCutie22

Jun 1, 2002
100% agreet with you there! I can never get my hair to do what its sposed to do when I'm in the DR. In Canada I have super straight, non frizzy hair.. but down there, no matter how much conditioner I use it frizzes up!!

XLiLPriNcEsSJ said: