WEDDINGS

L

Laura

IAM DUE TO GET MARRIED THERE NEXT YEAR HAS ANY ONE EVER MARRIED THERE WHAT IS IT LIKE ANY INFO?

M

Mercedes Aybar

It is the best place to get married. You should get married in the old city at Iglesia de las Mercedes or the Cathedral. If you want a fancier wedding I recommend La Romana.

A

American Male

I don't know if you could find anyone to put together a "package" for you, but I attended a weddding in the Colonial City and I don't know how a beach resort could possibly compare. The ancient Cathedral, the reception in a building dating over 500 years, the dancing in a walled open air courtyard, the bride and groom standing on a fourth floor balcont, it was a scene reminicent of a fairy tale

N

Natasha

I second Mercy's remarks. I got married last year at Las Mercedes, I had originally requested El Convento, which I think is the prettiest church in the Colonial Zone. It was the church I most visited as a child. Anyway, it was booked for our wedding date and thus we chose Las Mercedes, which is also gorgeous and our patron saint anyway.

The church in Altos de Chavon is just lovely, but small. You can probably fit maybe 40 people. It is ideal for a SMALL wedding. E-mail me if you need more help. I can give you recommendations for vendors that I dealt with. I planned my wedding from Pittsburgh with the help of my family in Sto. Dgo. Ours was a rather small wedding, about 80 people, close friends that came from as far as Finland and, family. Good luck!!!

Natasha

N

Natasha

I can't possibly agree more with what you're saying! We had our reception also in the Colonial Zone - at the Atarazana. It was just PERFECTION, just how we wanted it - a series of open air colonial courtyards with fountains and lots of foliage, ah...

Natasha

A

arcoiris

Re: Catholic wedding

Neither Laura nor J. Pavich have told us whether they are Catholic or not. I suggest that both threads be checked by both people - this thread gives excellent ideas on a beautiful Catholic wedding, and below on Pavich's thread there is additional information on the civil wedding.

N

Natasha

Re: WEDDINGS (Mercy)

Hi Mercy,

I assume you're referring to Casa de Campo/Altos de Chavon when you say La Romana, right. Then, I don't think that one gets a fancier wedding there necessarily. If anything much more expensive.

Regards,

Natasha

D

DR One

If you will be marrying a Dominican, strongly suggest you request a copy of the Living in Santo Domingo book, available on this web site. It has two chapters related to weddings and presents an overview of Dominican customs. While there are many similarities between Dominican and US weddings, there are many differences that are explained in the book.