A translation from Spanish to English

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mr.Mark

Hello all,

This was written by a Greek -in Greek- centuries ago: "Nadie escapa ni escapar? al amor mientras existan la belleza y ojos para ver".

I have two translations for it:

1) "Nobody can escape nor will escape from love as long as there are beauty and eyes to see".

2) "Nobody escapes nor will escape from love as long as there's beauty and there are eyes to take notice of it"

What do you think about my translations and how would you translate it?

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
Mr.Mark said:
Hello all,

This was written by a Greek -in Greek- centuries ago: "Nadie escapa ni escapar? al amor mientras existan la belleza y ojos para ver".

I have two translations for it:

1) "Nobody can escape nor will escape from love as long as there are beauty and eyes to see".

2) "Nobody escapes nor will escape from love as long as there's beauty and there are eyes to take notice of it"

What do you think about my translations and how would you translate it?

Number one is the closest direct translation.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Mr.Mark said:
Hello all,

translate it?

Actually, a more precise Spanish translation from the Greek novel (Dafnis and Cloe, by Longo) is "nadie escap? o escapar? del amor mientras exista la belleza y haya ojos para verla"

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Mirador said:
Actually, a more precise Spanish translation from the Greek novel (Dafnis and Cloe, by Longo) is "nadie escap? o escapar? del amor mientras exista la belleza y haya ojos para verla"

No one escaped nor will escape from love whilst exist beauty and that they have eyes to see it (beauty).
Kind of awkward.

Anybody find the English translation yet?

No one has ever escaped from love, nor will they ever escape, as long as there is beauty and eyes to behold...

Remember, sometimes literal translations are what you get from a computerized translation.

I still think from the OP, the first translation says what #1 says.

IMHO
mkohn

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
"no one has or will ever escape love as long as there is beauty and eyes to behold her"

M

Mr.Mark

Mirador said:

Thanks, Mirador. I took the phrase from a Kierkegaard book and it was written in Spanish as I wrote it. It did not tell that it was from Daphnis and Chloe, so thanks for the insight.

Last edited:
M

Mr.Mark

This is the best one I've found

...for no one has ever been able to escape Eros or ever will, as long as there is Beauty and there are eyes to see...

I decided to keep Eros since it conveys the original idea of romantic love instead of brotherly love [agape in Greek].

This is a German translation:

...denn keiner ist je dem Eros entflohen oder wird ihm entfliehen, solange es Sch?nheit gibt und Augen sehen...

Hey, no one has commented the phrase, what do you think about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.