Feedback please

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It's summer and most people are away right now but I'd like to get some feedback on what most people would like to see happening in the Spanish forum.

Easy lesson for beginers. How far back should we start for those that speak/write no Spanish at all?

More advanced Spanish which Lesley is going a great job on.

Do you participate in the lessons even though you may not post it ?

Give us some feed back so we can work on ideas for when vacation time is over and you want to have some Spanish under your belt before your next trip.

Thanks

Gero

Jul 26, 2005
I do particpate.. but not post

I would like to see more idioms and more rules about some of the more advanced verb conjugations.... especially if people have tips on how to remember some of the irregular verb conjugations. Thanks for asking.

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
Spanish lessons

There was a quiz test on one of the threads that I liked. And the correction that came with it, but would've like corrections on all as I did it but did not post my results. More quizes like this !!! Keep em coming

Lesley is doing a fantastic job.. maybe even overdoing it a little.. but I say better to have more then not enough. ;)

I come to Spanish 101 quite frenkently nowadays and it's giving me a lot of answers, even to things I didn't think about.

Great work ppl.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The only feedback I can give you is that you and the people participating are doing a wonderful job! Whatever you want changed, we will change :)

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Anna and Robert,
I like the thread.
I think the threads Lesley does are great. Maybe people could work off-line though, and she could post the answers about 3 days to a week later. That way others might try.
Spanish 201 and 301 could be for other levels. People could stretch their skills, etc.
I am learning too. You never stop learning ...
I like the idioms and other translation questions.
I like picking apart phrases, and then figuring out how we say them in English. A little literal, a little creativity.

Thanks for the thread. It's probably a little slow due to vacations :)
mkohn

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
spanish lessons on line

The premise is a viable one, in my opinion. And I am sure is helpful to many.
The times that I've followed the posts, while they are helpful, more often than not I feel the Q's, requests, etc. are disjointed and , to me, don't follow a straight line in understanding the language.
A suggestion : There is a spanish course on cd-rom for windows & mac that has all the rules of the game, is interactive so you can talk and listen to the response, has better than 10,000 words, gives the primary 100 verbs and grammatical structure, games & activities, real conversations, and more. It costs $49.00.
If I knew how to download it I would and send it to DR1.Then everyone could participate.
I'll be coming down on Aug. 9th for 10 days and will be happy to bring it with me if someone can enter it into DR1. Or, alternatively, people could agree to help defray the cost so it's practically nil.
Their web site: www.transparent.com. And their e-mail: info@transparent.com
Of course, as with any study, using a textbook of some kind is very helpful.
This from a spanish language beginner.
Let me know, John

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Thanks to everyone for your comments

Here's my feedback:

-I think the forum has been a success thus far because the common objective is to learn and to share knowledge.

- It will not satisfy the needs of everyone due to the diverse levels of Spanish presented and what each person is looking for to improve. From what I observed most people are beginners but have had quite a bit of exposure to Spanish thus the range of threads and inconsistent flow.

-One must remember learning a language on a message board in my opinion is not the way to learn at all. However it may compliment what you already know and for sure you will learn a new concept, vocabulary, expression etc. but never forsake formal studies. I think that goes without needing to elaborate further.

- I think there has to be diversity meaning some grammar, vocabulary, expressions etc. because that is what language is all about. It is mixture of all of the above when people speak. Grammar however is difficult to master on a message board. All of the grammar threads for the most part have answered questions that people had and perhaps could not get the answer they needed from another reference or better clarification was required. Frankly, I think that's the objective of the forum rather than teaching. Again I am referring to the difficulty of doing this on a message board.

- In post #2 more verbs and idioms were requested. I agree because verbs are one of the most important concepts of language but I do not know how that can be done in a forum like this. The reason why I have stayed away from starting a verb thread is because of the complexity of that aspect of grammar. For example how would one begin to explain 'Gustar' and it's complexities in this forum.

- I am glad the threads I have started are helpful to most but some may feel lost. However with a language one can't explain a concept half way. A perfect example is the thread 'Forgetting'. A tremendous question and observation by Xamaicano but there was no way I could have given a proper answer without going into detail.

-I am open to helping at all levels but it's easier for me to deal with advanced Spanish, theoretical & linguistic questions etc. on a message board rather than beginner Spanish because at that level nothing can be overlooked.

-Yes, I agree the forum is slow but it's summer time and I am enjoying it. ;)

LDG.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Which quiz?

Milagro02,

Do you remember which quiz you are referring to? All that I have started have the answers and the grammatical ones have the explanation. I am just curious if you don't mind.

LDG.

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
Lesley D said:
Milagro02,

Do you remember which quiz you are referring to? All that I have started have the answers and the grammatical ones have the explanation. I am just curious if you don't mind.

LDG.

This one : http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41414

I would love to have more like this.

I don't consider myself a beginner but it's always good to go back a few steps just to make my learning much stronger.

- I did most of my learning on my own (music lyrics mostly) so the stuff I find here, I couldn't have learned on my own.

- the spanish 201 and 301 is a good idea.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Merci beaucoup

Milagro02,

Thanks. That's quite a recent thread. I thought you were referring to one of the first practice threads. Okay I will keep that in mind for the next time. BTW it is one of my favorite threads too.

LDG.

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
My thoughts

I think they are great and the only change I would make is-- instead of doing them online during the winter they should be held daily on the beach in the DR.
Good idea?? I thought so. :>

JOHN

Status
Not open for further replies.