?A c?mo estamos hoy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
(First of all, a little background.)

I currently live in Sweden and somewhat isolated from other latino communities, so my "Spanish time" basically is reading DR papers on the Net and speaking with my family once a week, with the occassional conversation with a latino.

I'm teaching my partner Spanish and the books we're using are based on Spanish from Spain.

(Now, the question.)

As far as I can remember, I've always said "?a c?mo estamos hoy" when I ask about the date, but in the books we're using they have "?a cu?ntos estamos hoy?" as an alternative for "?qu? fecha es hoy?". So I wonder, is it not at all correct to ask for the date using what's in the title?

Thanks in advance and sorry for using to many I's.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
No te preocupes....

Mariel,

Yes, you are correct although I don't use it. I just checked one of my reliable references to get background details and it clearly states that its usage is specific to Latin America.

"?A c?mo estamos hoy?"= What's the date today?

LDG.

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ok!

mariel (Now said:
Mariel, "que fecha es hoy" and "a como estamos hoy" is used all the time. But I have never, ever, heard anybody say/ask "a cuantos estamos hoy". Not saying that some have not used/heard it, but I have never heard anybody ask that way.

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Thanks!

Lesley: As I've told you before, teaching someone Spanish makes me question what I already know, so it can be a pain in the ---

Is there any link where I could have some reference, like the one you consulted (if I can say this word)? I don't feel like asking the RAE everytime I have a question.

Miguel: Exactly! The "problem" for me is that what I have here is Spanish from Spain, and they (might) have different ways to ask the same thing.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
In Puerto Rico...

I remember when I was in Puerto Rico a few years ago I was standing at the bus stop and a lady asked me: "?a cu?nto(s) estamos hoy?". I was stunned. Although I understood what she was asking I had never heard that phrase before but ever since then I have been keen to it and frankly it is used quite a bit in conjunction with the others.

Mariel,

Any question you have just ask us. The diversity is interesting. I will check if some of my references are on-line as well.

LDG.

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
I am always baffled with the construction of a sentence in spanish vs. my english but "what" still has to be stated, with or with inflection. (To me, at least) so why not " ?a que' estamos hoy ? " with the correct upside down ?'s and the accent over the "e".

John

Status
Not open for further replies.