Another translation French vs Spanish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
This one is for you Lesley

I can't wait = No puedo esperar hasta que..

Now in french we say "J'ai h?te" I never found the equivalent in english so could not find it in spanish either.

I mean i want to be able to say that "I can't wait" but not in the negative form.

Thanks

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Milagro02,

Es una buena pregunta......

I see what you mean and that's why 'translations' are what I think should be called the equivalent of xxxx.

You did not finish your phrase but by going with you wrote how about 'me muero de ganas de xxxxx'

That way you avoid the negative construction. There are others ways but this one may best suit your phrase. Just my opinion.

LDG.

Milagro02 said:
This one is for you Lesley

I can't wait = No puedo esperar hasta que..

Now in french we say "J'ai h?te" I never found the equivalent in english so could not find it in spanish either.

I mean i want to be able to say that "I can't wait" but not in the negative form.

Thanks

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Anna,

Tengo ganas de xxxx 'is I feel like' xxx

For example- Tengo ganas de ir= I feel like going.

Not the same meaning as Milagro02's phrase.

LDG.

Anna Coniglio said:
That reminds me

"tengo ganas de" does that mean the same thing?

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
let see the other ways

I see what you mean but still it doesn't feel right.

To me.. ganas = "envie" and it still doesn't express what I want to say.

So far the best way is to say it with the negative form.. Maybe there is no equivalent... :cry:

thanks for trying

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Milagro02,

Yes, envie = ganas but can you complete your sample phrase in full that would help (others can give their versions too with a full phrase).

I sent you a PM with an explanation of the expression 'morirse de ganas'

LDG.

Last edited:

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
J'ai h?te = tengo prisa --- literally

apu'rate, or huye could be used to indicate a wish that someone hurry ...

tener ganas is "to feel like"

just some ideas.

mkohn

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
Bartolomeo67 said:
I would say
'estoy apurado para...'
or
'estoy ancioso para...'

Bartolomeo

Do you mean?

Estoy apurado por...(llegar, saber, salir etc...)

Estoy ancioso de....(comer, irme, bailar etc...)

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I agree with Bartolomeo and Stodgord. Estoy ancioso por XXXX is the closest translation I could give. Ex. J'ai h?te d'aller au restaurant. - Estoy anciosa por ir al restaurante.

It's not 100% but the idea is the same.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I think the OP needs to clarify the context of how 'I can't wait' will be used by giving a full phrase which I indicated in post # 6. Without a full phrase the meaning is vague in my opinion.

I think Milagro02 is trying to express 'deseo'. For example: 'I can't wait to see you' in which case 'estoy ansioso/a de verte' can be used but also 'me muero de ganas de' .....

The French J'ai h?te literally means 'prisa' but that nuance should not be carried over into Spanish if the OP's phrase means what I suggested above.

JMHO.

LDG.

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
Great now I have something to go on

The thing is that I didn't have anything else to add.. As I would write to my friends often enough I wanted to say "J'ai envie de"
-take the plane tonight,
-take a great nap on the beach (the kind you get around 3-4 under a palm tree)
-or have a really cold Presidente,
-or take the 2 months this summer and live in RD,
-go dancing again, see a show, have a great sancocho

well you get the point..

Thanks for all the answers.. but one thing.. can we really say "tengo prisa" or "estoy apurado por".. I don't know they sound weird (for me as my spanish is still limited) Although I read it pretty good I have to concentrate when people talk especially dominicans as they talk way too fast for me.
I found that as soon as I don't understand a word I miss part of the story by trying to figure the word out.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Respuesta

Milagro02,

Now your examples help to clarify your intended meaning. That's why it is so important to give complete phrases when trying to express the same idea from one language to another. In this case the English 'I can't wait' through me off because you did not complete the phrase. J'ai envie de ( faire quelque chose ) does not mean 'I can't wait' in English with your examples. In this case Anna's lead was correct.

J'ai envie de faire qch = Tengo ganas de= I feel like xxx.. The examples you provided fit perfectly in French, Spanish and English with each phrase in all three languages.

My example in my post #11 above still applies if you use 'I can't wait' the way I described it to you.

'Tener prisa'= to be in a hurry.
'Apurar(se)' - to hurry

Hope this helps.

LDG.

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
Got caught in my own "h?te", "envie" mess

See I'm back to square one because my first post was about saying "j'ai h?te".
So of all the example i gave in previous post, can anyone put "J'ai h?te" at the beginning instead of Tengo ganas.

J'ai h?te de prendre l'avion
J'ai h?te de boire une bonne Presidente bien froide.
J'ai h?te ? ce soir..
J'ai h?te de voir ?a.

thanks

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Respuesta II

Milagro02,

These examples in French are perfect. I just wish you had listed them in your original post and you would have had your answer a long time ago but I am sure you still learned something new therefore nothing has gone to waste. In the future just tell me in French what you want to say and I will give you the Spanish and/or English equivalent.

Now with these examples of J'ai h?te de.... you are expressing 'desire', 'anxiety', 'longing to do something' xxx or 'longing for' xxxx. You are right in this context (with these examples) J'ai h?te de = I can't wait and in Spanish you could say 'estoy ansioso/a de' or 'me muero de ganas de'..... (notice these are not negative forms as requested in your first post). If you use 'Tengo ganas de' with these examples then it changes the meaning from 'I can't wait'...to.... 'I feel like xxx'.

Summary:

J'ai envie de faire quelque chose= Tengo ganas de= I feel like xxxx

J'ai h?te de= Estoy ansioso/a de or me muero de ganas de= I can't wait to xxxx

Again, I hope this explanation is helpful to you.

LDG.

Milagro02 said:
See I'm back to square one because my first post was about saying "j'ai h?te".
So of all the example i gave in previous post, can anyone put "J'ai h?te" at the beginning instead of Tengo ganas.

J'ai h?te de prendre l'avion
J'ai h?te de boire une bonne Presidente bien froide.
J'ai h?te ? ce soir..
J'ai h?te de voir ?a.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.