Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overview of Dominican Labor Law

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Overview of Dominican Labor Law

An excellent overview in English supplied by Fabio Guzman.

Guzman Ariza & Asociados - http://drlawyer.com

.............. ?
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, thank you, thank you.... this is so useful. It puts into one place all the information we need, it is well organized and well put together.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks.

Like to add my thanks also for the info.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Labor Law Full Doc

I have a copy the labor law code in Spanish but there a certain words that I have had a few problems with that could cause a big problem is a mistranslate. Is there a place that has an english translation of the entire code(preferrably in pdf)?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstnorv05
    I have a copy the labor law code in Spanish but there a certain words that I have had a few problems with that could cause a big problem is a mistranslate. Is there a place that has an english translation of the entire code(preferrably in pdf)?
    I haven't seen a full translation of the Code. But I doubt that it would much more help than the English summaries as some things can be lost in the translation. For example the words "may" "must" and "shall" leave alot to interpetation. The Labor Reps won't care what your translation means, they only know what their interpetation of the Spanish is.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been here long enough to know that you're absolutely right but understanding more than I do now could have saved us a lot of problems. I know we can only follow the law to the best of our ability and that still may not protect us but I think that if we do the best we can we may have less problems.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstnorv05
    I've been here long enough to know that you're absolutely right but understanding more than I do now could have saved us a lot of problems. I know we can only follow the law to the best of our ability and that still may not protect us but I think that if we do the best we can we may have less problems.
    Absolutely. But don't try to interpet Dominican Labor Law using American logic. Many parts of the Law contradicts itself and logic isn't allowed to prevail. The bottom line usually is that if there is a question of interpetaion of a question, the worker receives the benefit of the doubt.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Despite the lack of assurance that our attempts to follow the law may not provide us the protection of the law we would like to follow it to the best of our ability.

Quote Originally Posted by HOWMAR
    Absolutely. But don't try to interpet Dominican Labor Law using American logic. Many parts of the Law contradicts itself and logic isn't allowed to prevail. The bottom line usually is that if there is a question of interpetaion of a question, the worker receives the benefit of the doubt.

DR1 Expert
    Post Thanks / Like

You could write volumes about the interpretation of the law, Dominican or of any other kind. Of course, it helps if you have legal training, that’s why you have lawyers.

There have been several instances in history when lawmakers tried to do away with interpretation but they have all failed. In revolutionary France before Napoleon (1789-1799) it was established that judges could not interpret the law at all, they had to apply it just as it was written, and in case of obscurity or ambiguity the judge had to refer back to the legislature, where the will of the people supposedly resided, for interpretation. The system soon broke down under the overload of cases at the Legislative Assembly and judges went back to do their job of interpreting the law. The revolutionary lawmakers had repeated the old mistake of believing they could draft perfect laws. All human laws are imperfect and as such must often be interpreted to make them applicable to certain cases. “Life is wiser than the lawmaker,” a famous French judge once said.

For purposes of interpretation, Dominican lawyers use the same tools used by lawyers worldwide, guided by court precedent (“jurisprudencia”) and the opinion of legal authors (“doctrina”). For the particular case of Labor Laws, the Dominican Labor Code establishes a general rule of interpretation (Principle VIII): in case of contradictory texts or doubt about the meaning of a text, the judge will interpret the law under the light most favorable to the employee (“in dubio pro operario”).
    Fabio J. Guzman
    Guzman Ariza
    Attorneys-at-Law
    Sosúa, Santo Domingo, San Francisco de Macorís, Cabrera
    Las Terrenas, Samaná, Bávaro (Punta Cana) and La Romana
    Dominican Republic

info@drlawyer.com

Website

The opinion above should not be construed to be formal legal advice and was given without reviewing the facts and documents pertinent to the case. The reader should NOT act based upon this opinion without seeking professional counsel.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is this legal??

Well this has been very helpful. One question comes to mind, is it legal to obtain a cedula as an american, for work purpose only??

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast