Hassle outside of complex - advice please

ardbeg

Jul 5, 2005
Hi

We are going to the DR for the first time in September staying at the Iberostar Costa Dorada.

We really don't want to be confined to the complex and want to see as much of DR as we can.

However, we are being put off by the mentions on this forum - and other websites - of being constantly hassled in the streets by people selling goods, offering to act as guides etc.

This really intimidates and frightens my wife and she is likely to stay in the hotel if this is the case.

Can anyone tell me how bad it is? or offer advice?

I really dont want to be a prisoner for two weeks but if the hassle is intolerable i fear I may be.

Help and advice please.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
It really is not so bad. A firm 'NO' will do it for most everyone. If you are really concerned, why not ask the forum members for a recommendation for a good driver in your area. Arrange with the driver when and where you want to go, he'll/she'll pick you up and take you where you want to be and will smooth the way.. no hassle..

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well it's a problem that needs to be addressed, because if you don't go out, you will miss the best part of the DR.
For starters, you will be less of a target if you can hide those all inclusive wristbands.
Women frequently wear "hair scrunchies" over them, and men, their watches.
If you are mobile, nobody can harrass you, so if you rent a car, take a taxi or go on a tour, then you eliminate that problem.
If you want to tour a town like Puerto Plata, Sosua or Cabarete and would like to walk around without being bothered by vendors, hire a guide and make it clear to him that you want him to keep people from bothering you.
Some of the hotel employees on their time off would be glad to pick up a few extra bucks showing you around.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Another hint is to not do your touring on the first couple of days and get a bit of a tan first (assuming you want to). It is well known that the whiter you are, meaning you just landed, the more of a target you are - assuming of course you are white to start with (LOL).

Other than that a pleasant "No gracias" or a shake of the head or side to side wag of the index finger (at your side not in their face) will all signify that you are not interested.

We travel to the DR at least once or twice a year and spend about every second day off the resort and have NEVER felt intimidated.

As Marco (Rocky) says the best part of the DR is outside of your resort (even though you have chosen an exceptional resort) so please don't miss the best the DR has to offer.

Gregg

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
FireGuy said:
Another hint is to not do your touring on the first couple of days and get a bit of a tan first (assuming you want to). It is well known that the whiter you are, meaning you just landed, the more of a target you are - assuming of course you are white to start with (LOL).
So very true.
If you look like a 2 legged glass of milk wearing a hawaian tourist shirt, they will see you coming a mile away.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
A few pointers

Always keep walking at the same pace. Don't stop to listen to the spiel even if they offer their hand for a handshake. Do like the other poster suggested and wag you finger (at your side not in front of you) to indicate no interest.

The cabs right outside your hotel are priced too high, but the price is negotiable.Tell them that you are taking a gua-gua.If you are serious fine no problem. Just walk to the road and get one.If this doesnt suit you use the gua gua pricing to reduce the price of the cab.If you get a good price and like the driver get his card and use him every day.

Use your best judgement and you won't and I repeat won't have a difficult time with this and really enjoy your trip much more.

JOHN

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
There are several down pat answers that can help you,like "No Gracias" with a smile, repeated if necessary, or you can look semi interested in their wares and just say "Ma?ana", and then sometines saying, "No Tengo Dinero" can help.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
The only problem with saying "Ma?ana" is if you are going to be passing that way within the next several days. I swear that those guys go to elephant school as they always remember those who said "Tomorrow" and they WILL remind you what you said. "Ma?ana" works well if you don't plan on coming back to that area.

Gregg

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
In general, you will be much less bothered on the street than in other tourist areas such as Mexico or Jamaica. Usually a "no gracias' and keep walking makes your point.

ardbeg

Jul 5, 2005
HOWMAR said:
In general, you will be much less bothered on the street than in other tourist areas such as Mexico or Jamaica. Usually a "no gracias' and keep walking makes your point.

Thanks. It was our experience in Jamaica where we were crowded and jostled on a regular basis that made my wife afraid. We are fine with giving a polite and firm no and if that works in DR we should be fine.

ardbeg

Jul 5, 2005
Rocky said:
Well it's a problem that needs to be addressed, because if you don't go out, you will miss the best part of the DR.
For starters, you will be less of a target if you can hide those all inclusive wristbands.
Women frequently wear "hair scrunchies" over them, and men, their watches.
If you are mobile, nobody can harrass you, so if you rent a car, take a taxi or go on a tour, then you eliminate that problem.
If you want to tour a town like Puerto Plata, Sosua or Cabarete and would like to walk around without being bothered by vendors, hire a guide and make it clear to him that you want him to keep people from bothering you.
Some of the hotel employees on their time off would be glad to pick up a few extra bucks showing you around.

Many thanks for your advice - especially the tip about covering the wristbands. V useful.

ardbeg

Jul 5, 2005
FireGuy said:

Other than that a pleasant "No gracias" or a shake of the head or side to side wag of the index finger (at your side not in their face) will all signify that you are not interested.

We travel to the DR at least once or twice a year and spend about every second day off the resort and have NEVER felt intimidated.

As Marco (Rocky) says the best part of the DR is outside of your resort (even though you have chosen an exceptional resort) so please don't miss the best the DR has to offer.

Gregg

Many thanks - v useful tips.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
FireGuy said:

Just keep walking and, as Gregg advises, shake head no or wag the index finger as though cautioning a child not to continue misbehaving. Don't stop and look at what the venders are offering since that encourages them and others. Most of what they sell is junk, even though it might not look like it to your untrained eye. Go about your business as though you belong, and don't feel you have to enter into a discussion with the venders or explain your lack of interest.

And as others have advised, get out and see the country. It is only on the main streets of the tourist towns that you may have to run the gauntlet of venders.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Ken said:
Just keep walking and, as Gregg advises, shake head no or wag the index finger as though cautioning a child not to continue misbehaving. Don't stop and look at what the venders are offering since that encourages them and others. Most of what they sell is junk, even though it might not look like it to your untrained eye. Go about your business as though you belong, and don't feel you have to enter into a discussion with the venders or explain your lack of interest.

And as others have advised, get out and see the country. It is only on the main streets of the tourist towns that you may have to run the gauntlet of venders.

I agree most of the vendors sell junk,but there are a few that sell some unusual foods like those little coconut filled candy apples.They taste great and are cheap.
I find the most aggresive people are the ones with nothing to offer,they just want money.
If I see something that looks interesting(mostly food related)I check it out,and if not interested a firm no and I walk away.
These vendors are just trying to feed their family and some are working 7 days a week to do so.

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
When I was little, the maniceros (peanut sellers) sold little packets of peanuts for a centavo. Last time I was in Puerto Plata, they sold a kind of peanut brittle. Don't remember the cost, but it was pretty good, and nobody got sick.
mkohn
PS Have fun on your trip.

TimInDR

Jun 4, 2005
www.prestigecarrentals.com
check with your hotel on it's policy...

i know that SOME of the hotels will replace your wrist band free of charge if it "breaks"... BUT YOU MUST HAVE THE REMNANTS.

I therefore, would break mine every day I was leaving the hotel and get a free replacement when I returned by exhanging the remnants.

If you don't have the remnants of your broken wristband the surcharge is around $40... but that was just one experience.

Again, check with YOUR hotel on it's policy.

tim

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just a few thoughts from the Curmudgeon

Look folks, the Ibero Star is one of the nicest places around. That said, there are a lot of people that would like to get some of your money.

So..follow the guidelines set forth here: No Gracias :D, The finger wagging, the NO TENGO DINERO. All with a :D.

Regarding that damned hotel strap. I have them let me put it on and I put it on so loosely that I can take it off when I want to. Might work for you.

Now, what to do? What to do?

Well, you could get a reliable car and driver. Wilson is one that comes tomind and who has received excellent reports from everyone that has usedhis services. Ask anyone here what his contact numbers are.

Travel to POP and look at the Ambar Museum (Jurassac Park stuff) and the old fort and the old victorian buildings down town. Eat some ice cream at the little place by the Park, late in the evening (I forget which evenings) there are band concerts there.

Travel to Sosua and eat at Rockys or watch sports at Eddy's Sports Bar, and, by all means, swim at the beach.

Come down to Santiago, by bus if you want, and visit the Leon Center for history, music, art and culture. Walk around the chaotic business center of town or go to one of the new malls (International Mall for instance). Nobody will bother you in town since Santiago is not a tourist destination.

Play golf? Santiago is good for that. Like cigars? Santiago is the World Capitol of cigar manufacturing. Rum? Santiago is the home of Bern?dez rum, like POP is the seat of Brugal rum...(and they offer tours and free tastings!

There are tons of things to see and do, all depends on your tastes...

Cordially,

HB :D:D:D

ze pequeno

Aug 2, 2005
FireGuy said:

Gregg

A tan? Interesting.......... I would appreciate if you or any other poster here would answer a quick question: Are black american tourists in DR less likely to be hassled by vendors or other service providers than their white counterparts? Not to mention easily singled out as tourists! I'm keen to explore the DR outside of tourist traps............

Thanks in advance!

May 31, 2005
ze pequeno said:
A tan? Interesting.......... I would appreciate if you or any other poster here would answer a quick question: Are black american tourists in DR less likely to be hassled by vendors or other service providers than their white counterparts? Not to mention easily singled out as tourists! I'm keen to explore the DR outside of tourist traps............

Thanks in advance!
I don't think so. I think that he was joking because most tourists that go to the DR are white.

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Dragonfly32837 said:
I don't think so. I think that he was joking because most tourists that go to the DR are white.

Actually, tha Santo Domingo and Boca Chica areas get a lot of African Americans and Dominican Yorks who come as tourists. They are typically hounded just as much because they stick out as clearly not being Dominican. Thus, they must have money.

Scandall