Calling DR from the UK

watulookin@

Aug 2, 2005
Hey guys, please help???

Can anyone advise on the correct code for calling DR, the number startes 1-809 (its a cell phone). I have been try but cannot get through.
I have been calling 001 809.... is this correct, please help.

Thanks a million

E :cry:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You dial exactly what you were given 1-809-

001 is calling into Europe not out of. ;)

watulookin@

Aug 2, 2005
Now i'm confussed....

Anna Coniglio said:
You dial exactly what you were given 1-809-

001 is calling into Europe not out of. ;)

Two different answers - i'm gonne go crazy!!!

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
Trust me I work in telecommunications in the DR (well i did) Im now in the UK and regularly call me family in the dr with 001 809 as the prefix cell phone and landline.

watulookin@

Aug 2, 2005
Thanks a million

wight-boy said:
Trust me I work in telecommunications in the DR (well i did) Im now in the UK and regularly call me family in the dr with 001 809 as the prefix cell phone and landline.

I'll give it another try later, thanks for take the time to reply.

calala2k

Apr 22, 2005
im from uk

im from uk and when we have been calling our family we have always used 001-809 ***-**** but over the last week it has been hard to get through saying all lines are busy...sorry anna but from uk you use 001 and to uk 001
hope this helps
calala2k

watulookin@

Aug 2, 2005
ummmm...

calala2k said:
im from uk and when we have been calling our family we have always used 001-809 ***-**** but over the last week it has been hard to get through saying all lines are busy...sorry anna but from uk you use 001 and to uk 001
hope this helps
calala2k

Thanks calala2k, I guess the next problem I have is that without understanding spanish at all, when I finally get what I think is a connection, I can't understand the recorded message. It may even be as simple as the person I'm calling's phone is off!!!!!
I guess I have to keep trying til my friend picks up. Can you recommed a decent calling card that I can buy?

Corporal cod

Jan 12, 2005
What about texting

So can you text the dominican republic from the uk and if so how? Do you need the same code???? :eek:

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Hello guys,

to make you things very easy read

Dominican Republic is under NANPA Regulations North American Numberin Plan Association, that mean if you wants to call to DR from any where you must use the access code as if you were calling to USA.

Now we have 2 areas codes, 1-809-NXX-XXXX and in to months new users of telecomunications services in DR will have 1-829-NXX-XXXX, that is the reason that we need to dial 10 digits for all within calls in DR, local calls or national long distance calls.

If you wants to text a cell phone from UK maybe if the cell phone belong to Orange it's probabilly that you can send a text message directilly from your cell phone, if don't check this pages and you will be able to send txt message from internet for free.

www.centennialrd.com
www.verizon.com.do
www.tricom.net

calala2k

Apr 22, 2005
watulookin@ said:
Thanks calala2k, I guess the next problem I have is that without understanding spanish at all, when I finally get what I think is a connection, I can't understand the recorded message. It may even be as simple as the person I'm calling's phone is off!!!!!
I guess I have to keep trying til my friend picks up. Can you recommed a decent calling card that I can buy?

you can pick up most calling cards anywhere now but mostly in the corner shops! theres a unity card for ?5 you get 50mins but unitel is also better ?5 for 125mins if you dont understand the message just wait til the beep then say what you gotta say atleast they will know youve been trying to get them. goodluck
calala2k

watulookin@

Aug 2, 2005
Thanks Calala2k

calala2k said:
you can pick up most calling cards anywhere now but mostly in the corner shops! theres a unity card for ?5 you get 50mins but unitel is also better ?5 for 125mins if you dont understand the message just wait til the beep then say what you gotta say atleast they will know youve been trying to get them. goodluck
calala2k

Thats great info, I'll check both them cards out, they seem much better the one I just got. Leaving a message after the recorded voice seems so obvious, but I didn't even give that a thought!!! Thanks for that x

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
texting

Now the calling part has been sorted the good old texting issue.
It is possible to send a text message to an orangeDR phone from the UK, unfortunately it is hit and miss, It is not possible from (for definate) O2 or Virgin mobiles, Vodafone is trial and error normally as is orangeUK. The code if you wish to trial this from the uk is either +1809xxxxxxx or 001809xxxxxxx
When I worked at orange in the DR I made many enquiries as to why it was so difficult (near impossible) to send messages to the DR and nobody knew :confused: :rolleyes: to send to the uk is easy use +44xxxxxxxxxx and to call 01144 no '0' from the area code and then the rest of the number.

tont

Jun 20, 2006
anyone help?

hi does anyone know how to send a text message (SMS) to the uk, from a cell phone in the dominican republic?, only cant seem to get it to send. what codes do i use.
thanks.
example trying to send to 0787 9000000
would i use 44787 9000000? only i tried but it doesnt work!

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
what we do

Skype is a great system to use for calling the DR, you need to have speaker and mic connected to your PC ... PC to PC is free and PC to landlines/mobiles are really cheap too.

Calling DR use 001 809 or +1 809

Calling UK from DR dial 0044 (drop first 0 of number) **** ****** or +4400 Same applies to texting, although we've only ever managed to text orange to orange (that's orange DR to orange UK or orange UK to orange DR)

Hope that helps;)