Haiti

Txrayngers

Jul 30, 2005
Hi, I am going to be in the DR and am very interested in a day trip to Haiti while I am there. Please let me know if there is a safe/cost efficient way to do this. Also, please let me know if it is advisable for a gringo to cross the border. I am willing to take SOME risk, but am not up for an ASSURED robbery/assault.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Your here for 4 days and you want to take a day trip to Haiti?

Other than poverty, your not going to see much crossing the border for a few hours. Juan Dolio to Perdernales is about 5-6 hrs, maybe a lot longer in a bus that will stop 30 times.

Don't waste your time...

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
From your other posts, I gather you are going to be in the DR for only 4 days, to explore the possibility of relocating there. You said you would be staying in Juan Dolio, which I think is at least 4-6 hours from the Haitian border. So unless you plan on flying to Haiti, I wouldn't go. That's in addition to the fact that Haiti is now going through some major political and economic turmoil. I might be wrong, but my understanding is that Haiti is not safe at this time.

Don't waste your time. There is plenty to see in the DR during your short stay.

Txrayngers

Jul 30, 2005
I just have a thing for seeing other spots in the world, even if it means just going over to give some $$$ to a family so they can have some food and then going back to the DR. I want to go, but really dont want to spend TOO long there, thats why I was seeing if a day trip was at all possible.

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Waste time

As previous posters have said "Don't waste your time". Spend the money and the time in getting to know DR a bit better instead.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Txrayngers said:
I just have a thing for seeing other spots in the world, even if it means just going over to give some $$$ to a family so they can have some food and then going back to the DR. I want to go, but really dont want to spend TOO long there, thats why I was seeing if a day trip was at all possible.
It's a long way to go for a day trip. There are plenty of poor Dominican that will be glad to accept your money.

Txrayngers

Jul 30, 2005
Guess I never really looked at it like that. Maybe the country will be better one day and WORTH going to see. Not sure how likely that is though.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Txrayngers said:
Hi, I am going to be in the DR and am very interested in a day trip to Haiti while I am there. Please let me know if there is a safe/cost efficient way to do this. Also, please let me know if it is advisable for a gringo to cross the border. I am willing to take SOME risk, but am not up for an ASSURED robbery/assault.
Pros about Haiti:

1. They have a giant fortress known as Feririe (spelling?) or La Citadel close to Cap-Haitien. This fortress is a marvel of African engineering, since it was built under the rule of the Haitian King Henri Christophe. It's the most incredible structure due to its immense size and also the fact that its balance on top of a hill, as if it was no big deal! Really impressive.

2. Not too far away is the ruins of the Sans Souci Palace. It is a ruin, but one can still get a good idea of the place.

3. The centers of Port-au-Prince, Jacmel (especially Jacmel), and Cap-Haitien still have many French Colonial buildings standing. Many look like if they are about the collapse, but none the less, some are of exceptional quality, especially the palaces and mansions that line the streets of Jacmel. Of course, Haiti is not tourist oriented and as such, these historical centers which could easily rival that of Santo Domingo, if they were maintained and restored and could easily become major attractions are not well maintained today. It almost hurt to see such grand structures and architecture on the brink of dissapearing because of neglect. Haiti has plenty of potential, but their habit of creating revolutions that simply leads to other revolutions has kept those people in extreme misery for the past 200 years.

4. It's a totally different country, unique in the Western Hemisphere. It has a vibrant culture, hospitable people, and overall, its an experience that is not easily forgetable.

Cons of Haiti:

1. They are in a virtual civil unrest at the moment.

2. The lack of even the most basic services (services that are readily available in the DR, though some are sporadic, but available none-the-less) makes life in Haiti hard and makes traveling within the country tidious. For one thing, most major roads in Haiti are little more than dirt tracks. There are no Autovia del Este or Autopista Duarte equivalent in Haiti. The buses are crowded, smelly, and uncomfortable. There are no luxury coach buses like Metro or Caribe Tours, except for Terrabus which has a bus link from Petionville, Haiti to Santo Domingo. However, the Tap Taps are very colorful and have messages painted on them which are based on bible verses. Also, the open sewers, lack of sanitation, etc in all areas is an unpleasant surprise. The development that exist in the DR (as uneven as it is) simply does not exist in Haiti. The contrast becomes visible at the border, when paved roads become rubble, electricity pilons stop at the border, and verdant green countryside becomes barren and futureless.

3. There are things of you that will catch the attention of many Haitians. If you are white or light skin, you will attract attention. In Haiti, people perceive whites, light skin, and foreigners as all being rich, even if they are Dominicans. There is a few Haitians who believe that as "rich" as foreigners are, that Haitians are entitled to take some away from the visitors (ie. steal). Most Haitians are respectful of your belongings, but be weary of those who are not. Its not just skin color, also the way you dress and overall look can be detect by Haitians all around. They will refer to you as "blanc" which in French means white. This term in Haiti refers to both, whites and foreigners, even if you are as dark as most of them are, you will be referred to as a "blanc". Also, if they perceive that you are wealthy, they will also refer to you as a "blanc".

4. There are diseases there that are not as widespread or even exist in the DR. Keep up to date what vaccinations and precautions to take.

In short, Haiti is an interesting country, but its not a typical country. Most countries in the Caribbean have plenty of similarities with other Caribbean nations, such as the three Spanish speaking nations are different but the same in so many ways. The other islands of the Caribbean also can be related to each other in such fashion, but Haiti is on a league all of its own, both good and bad. This is important to keep in mind, because not doing so could greatly overwhelm even the most adverture oriented person.

It's an interesting country.

About going there now, just follow the advise from others here.

solituna

Jan 26, 2004
Blanc-Rubio

That happens here too though. And not only to the ones that are white or the richer dark people. At least once a day I hear one dark fellow calling out to another dark fellow "PSSSTT RUBIO!!!" Co?o!!! Cuenta me - como van las cosas? Or something like that...

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
solituna said:
That happens here too though. And not only to the ones that are white or the richer dark people. At least once a day I hear one dark fellow calling out to another dark fellow "PSSSTT RUBIO!!!" Co?o!!! Cuenta me - como van las cosas? Or something like that...

That person is being sarcastic and joking with the other fellow.

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Nal0whs said:
Pros about Haiti:

1. They have a giant fortress known as Feririe (spelling?) or La Citadel close to Cap-Haitien. This fortress is a marvel of African engineering, since it was built under the rule of the Haitian King Henri Christophe. It's the most incredible structure due to its immense size and also the fact that its balance on top of a hill, as if it was no big deal! Really impressive.

2. Not too far away is the ruins of the Sans Souci Palace. It is a ruin, but one can still get a good idea of the place.

3. The centers of Port-au-Prince, Jacmel (especially Jacmel), and Cap-Haitien still have many French Colonial buildings standing. Many look like if they are about the collapse, but none the less, some are of exceptional quality, especially the palaces and mansions that line the streets of Jacmel. Of course, Haiti is not tourist oriented and as such, these historical centers which could easily rival that of Santo Domingo, if they were maintained and restored and could easily become major attractions are not well maintained today. It almost hurt to see such grand structures and architecture on the brink of dissapearing because of neglect. Haiti has plenty of potential, but their habit of creating revolutions that simply leads to other revolutions has kept those people in extreme misery for the past 200 years.

4. It's a totally different country, unique in the Western Hemisphere. It has a vibrant culture, hospitable people, and overall, its an experience that is not easily forgetable.

Cons of Haiti:

1. They are in a virtual civil unrest at the moment.

2. The lack of even the most basic services (services that are readily available in the DR, though some are sporadic, but available none-the-less) makes life in Haiti hard and makes traveling within the country tidious. For one thing, most major roads in Haiti are little more than dirt tracks. There are no Autovia del Este or Autopista Duarte equivalent in Haiti. The buses are crowded, smelly, and uncomfortable. There are no luxury coach buses like Metro or Caribe Tours, except for Terrabus which has a bus link from Petionville, Haiti to Santo Domingo. However, the Tap Taps are very colorful and have messages painted on them which are based on bible verses. Also, the open sewers, lack of sanitation, etc in all areas is an unpleasant surprise. The development that exist in the DR (as uneven as it is) simply does not exist in Haiti. The contrast becomes visible at the border, when paved roads become rubble, electricity pilons stop at the border, and verdant green countryside becomes barren and futureless.

3. There are things of you that will catch the attention of many Haitians. If you are white or light skin, you will attract attention. In Haiti, people perceive whites, light skin, and foreigners as all being rich, even if they are Dominicans. There is a few Haitians who believe that as "rich" as foreigners are, that Haitians are entitled to take some away from the visitors (ie. steal). Most Haitians are respectful of your belongings, but be weary of those who are not. Its not just skin color, also the way you dress and overall look can be detect by Haitians all around. They will refer to you as "blanc" which in French means white. This term in Haiti refers to both, whites and foreigners, even if you are as dark as most of them are, you will be referred to as a "blanc". Also, if they perceive that you are wealthy, they will also refer to you as a "blanc".

4. There are diseases there that are not as widespread or even exist in the DR. Keep up to date what vaccinations and precautions to take.

In short, Haiti is an interesting country, but its not a typical country. Most countries in the Caribbean have plenty of similarities with other Caribbean nations, such as the three Spanish speaking nations are different but the same in so many ways. The other islands of the Caribbean also can be related to each other in such fashion, but Haiti is on a league all of its own, both good and bad. This is important to keep in mind, because not doing so could greatly overwhelm even the most adverture oriented person.

It's an interesting country.

About going there now, just follow the advise from others here.

I congratulate you sir. Your response was educational, and well balanced. However, there are many cities outside of the capital (Jeremie for example) that are as well kept as those in the DR. A fair representation of Haiti's situation allows the traveler the opportunity to make up his or her own mind, as to whether or not its's worth the effort.

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Considering several emabassies Including the Canadian one

have pulled all non -essential persons out of the country I wouldn't advise going to Haiti at this time.

I'm having visitors next week that have been relocated to Canada for their safety while their spouses remain at the Embassy in Haiti .
Last time they were withdrawn (when Aristotle was overthrown) they were relocated to the Dominican Republic for five weeks.
They have been in Canada for almost two months now and have no idea when they may return so it would seem that the situation is more intense and dangerous now than it was then.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
A friend of mine took a tour to Haiti from the DR right before they cancelled all of them a few years ago. On the bus ride into a village, next to the road, was a body with the head cut off, with the head placed on the torso. Apparently a guy was caught the 2nd or 3rd time stealing chickens and the local villagers cut his head off and placed his body there like that to warn others about stealing.

Luckily, only a few tourists on the bus saw this and the tour operator continued the tour as if nothing had happened.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
Nals,

summed it up very fair..I would like to say that I wouldn't recommend traveling to haiti for inexperience travellers especially right now..but most of the mayhem is isolated in the capital and many other beautiful cities are waiting for tourist....I suggest Au-Cap and definately Jacmel....haitians are very friendly people especially towards 'moun blanc" which are foreigners of any race...even haitian diaspora are considered foreigners....

Haitians in the province area live a very simple life stlye and follow the ten commandents literally...

Never talk about politics and never ever steal from them and you'll be fine...

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Conchman said:
A friend of mine took a tour to Haiti from the DR right before they cancelled all of them a few years ago. On the bus ride into a village, next to the road, was a body with the head cut off, with the head placed on the torso. Apparently a guy was caught the 2nd or 3rd time stealing chickens and the local villagers cut his head off and placed his body there like that to warn others about stealing.

Luckily, only a few tourists on the bus saw this and the tour operator continued the tour as if nothing had happened.

Awful, nightmarish! Something out of a horror movie and I don't like horror movies. Hard to believe that could happen. I know that during Aristide rule, some people were burned to death with a tire around their necks, and even after Aristide, there is almost uncontrollable murder and crime in general, still, being aboard a tourist bus and finding such a scene as you enter a country is beyond belief. Just reading about it makes me feel as if I was that unfortunate tourist. Terrible.

Probably most Haitians, as Quisqueya stated, are very peaceful and honest people, but many of them have fallen victims to crimes perpetrated by those Haitians who have guns and a sense of impunity and intimidate the rest. I guess, because I don't have much knowledge about Haiti.

mami

Mar 16, 2004
Read

besides all of the advice of people on this thread i would encourage you to go to the web, typ Haiti and just start reading.

Quisqueya

Bronze
Nov 10, 2003
JC

Its a conglamorate of things that are making people act in this devilish way...Pero, it's no excuse and something needs to be done soon..

But what the hell are these so called peacekeeping troops are doing.....MINUSTAH is a damn joke but I can't blame Brazil for trying to help bring peace to haiti....But even they are seeing how this whole mess wasn't really about bringing any democracy...Aristide wasn't a choir boy but at least things weren't as bad as they are now....Where is this so called aide money, US help and blah blah we've heard about?....Unfortunately most of the weight is left for other countries and DR to do something....Where is the US, FRance since they were so gun hoe to get this man out of there?...Where are they no?...

To stay on topic....I wouldn't recommend going now to be on the safe side...I love my country but I prefer to avoid people from going NOW then some horror story of some tourist caught in the crossfire...

Elections are coming this fall..but 10% of country are not even registered voters...this isn't democracy but another dictatorship in its prelimenary stage...

juancarlos said:
Awful, nightmarish! Something out of a horror movie and I don't like horror movies. Hard to believe that could happen. I know that during Aristide rule, some people were burned to death with a tire around their necks, and even after Aristide, there is almost uncontrollable murder and crime in general, still, being aboard a tourist bus and finding such a scene as you enter a country is beyond belief. Just reading about it makes me feel as if I was that unfortunate tourist. Terrible.

Probably most Haitians, as Quisqueya stated, are very peaceful and honest people, but many of them have fallen victims to crimes perpetrated by those Haitians who have guns and a sense of impunity and intimidate the rest. I guess, because I don't have much knowledge about Haiti.

May 31, 2005
Quisqueya said:
Nals,

summed it up very fair..I would like to say that I wouldn't recommend traveling to haiti for inexperience travellers especially right now..but most of the mayhem is isolated in the capital and many other beautiful cities are waiting for tourist....I suggest Au-Cap and definately Jacmel....haitians are very friendly people especially towards 'moun blanc" which are foreigners of any race...even haitian diaspora are considered foreigners....

Haitians in the province area live a very simple life stlye and follow the ten commandents literally...

Never talk about politics and never ever steal from them and you'll be fine...
Thank God you think that Nals summed it up very fair. I read in another thread that you are Haitian, so I guess you must know what you are talking aobut. Lilhomie is also Haitian and he asked Nals if he ever visited Haiti. I thought that maybe Lilhomie was trying to be sarcastic and mean that Nals did not know what he was talking about. I thought that what Nals posted sounded fair but I wanted confirmation since I'm not very familiar with Haiti.