documentaries

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Hey folks, is anyone aware of how to avail oneself of good Dominican and/or Dominican-American oriented movies and documentaries? Spanish or English language. Lat year I saw on video thre drama "Washington Heights" and was highly disspappointed by its generic blandness and formulaic approach. IMO, documentaries seem to better capture issues going on within the Dominican diaspora in the US.

I know of a couple of examples, a friend has highly recommended this film. Its multicultural, but some of its best moments are Dominican. Currently in selected theaters around the nation (official site):
http://www.paramountclassics.com/madhot/

Also, another highly recommended short documentary (it aired on Showtime Espa?ol last year) and of Dominican & baseball interest is "Change-UP" (here is a review):
http://www.filmthreat.com/Reviews.asp?Id=4570

Any other recommendations by DR1 movie fans?
cheers,
- Tordok

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I did hear good things about the Mad Hot Ballroom movie from my friend I am yet to see it, i think I'll go this weekend!

I will have to watch the other two films? I enjoy watching documentries!!

Betty1

Nov 22, 2003
Mad Hot Ballroom is great!! A couple of weeks ago a few of us from DR1 went to see it and loved it. Would recommend it, it's a great film.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
My family went to see Mad Hot Ballroom a couple of weeks ago. Great film! Enjoyed it immensely, highly recommend it. The audience at the showing we went to was quite a mix, although probably still majority Anglo, and they applauded when the movie ended!

I think the movie presented an overall positive picture of Dominican-Americans & Dominican immigrants, their sense of family and stress on values. It was especially interesting to listen to the group of dominicanitas chatting about what they want out of life and what kind of husbands they wanted -- you know they're repeating much of what they hear at home. ;) Also was moved by the dominicana teacher's discussion of what she wanted for "her kids" -- showed alot of heart.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Hey,

I just watched Mad Hot Ballroom this weekend, I loved it!
It was a great film and the kids were adorable!! I was dancing in my seat :laugh:

neverlost

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 7, 2004
Tordok said:
Any other recommendations by DR1 movie fans?
cheers,
- Tordok

I think this is up your alley. I got this off the www.Afrolatino.com Event board:

Santo Domingo Blues: Los T?gueres de La Bachata

Brooklyn Premiere! Director will be present. Special
Guest.

Screenings: BAM Cinematek
Saturday, September 3, 2PM & 6:50PM, Monday, Sept. 5,
4:30 PM,
BAM Rose Cinemas, 30 Lafayette Ave., Brooklyn, NY.
(718) 636 4100.

IT?S RAW. IT?S REAL. IT?S BACHATA. IT?S DOMINICAN.

SANTO DOMINGO BLUES IS COMING HOME TO BROOKLYN.
Give it up. Skip the next indie middle class muddle
searching for itself. Come feel the pulse of the
people.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Santo Domingo Blues

The documentary was cool. Here in the VA-DC-MD region it won the AFI Independent Film Festival. We worked hard to get the word out.

It talks about the very issues that are debated on many DR1 threads.

Tordok, I'd lend you the CD if you are interested...but you don't come across to me like a hard core bachatero...LOL

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
deelt said:
The documentary was cool. Here in the VA-DC-MD region it won the AFI Independent Film Festival. We worked hard to get the word out.

It talks about the very issues that are debated on many DR1 threads.

Tordok, I'd lend you the CD if you are interested...but you don't come across to me like a hard core bachatero...LOL

Yup, not even a soft core bachatero, I'm afraid :nervous: ; but as you know by now, its not a rejection either. Can't say that its part of my regular playlist, but I can surely dig a film that explores this angle of Dominican art and folklore.
- Tordok
:surprised :lick: :)

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
Hey T- :) yo' pa' ya' to train you...lol. I teach bachata dancing to all these gringitos in Reston, VA. :eek:)

Anyone interested in purchasing a copy of Santo Domingo Blues can contact Alex Wolfe, the director. For more information on the movie and the contact information visit:

http://www.santodomingoblues.com/engSDB.html

You can tell him that his friend/support in DC sent you.

Peace

Tordok said:
Yup, not even a soft core bachatero, I'm afraid :nervous: ; but as you know by now, its not a rejection either. Can't say that its part of my regular playlist, but I can surely dig a film that explores this angle of Dominican art and folklore.
- Tordok
:surprised :lick: :)

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
not a documentary

victor victoria a movie about a man who gets himself arrested to find and deal with his sons killers. great movie set in the victoria prison. a must see...
Its a fairly new movie w/ a great twist.. I would like to see more movies (non-doc)filmed and made by dominicans.

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
El Grande Oso..La Cinema Fe

A friend helped produce this film. All Dominincan-Y, all the time.
A Special Presentation under La Cinema Fe of NY (http://www.lacinemafe.org/2005/)

Presented last Sunday in Washington Heights. Next showing is this
SUNDAY August 28
MUSEO DEL BARRIO
2:00 pm GRAND OPENING (Oso Grande) Dir. Present. Q & A.

Synopsis
What can possibly go wrong on the first day of the Grand Opening of a family owned supermarket? This no-holds-barred over the top barrel of laughs introduces you to Pablo and his totally dysfunctional family and crackpot employee staff.

Sinopsis
?Qu? posiblemente puede pasarle a una familia due?os de un supermercado en la gran apertura de esta? Esta desenfrenada comedia de risas le introduce a Pablo, su familia disfuncional y a sus locos empleados.

Directed by / Dirigida por Eddy Duran
Producer / Productor Santana Pilarte, Mike Weiss
Production / Producci?n Duranfilms Inc. Cicala filmworks
Editor / Montaje Eddy Duran
Music / M?sica Pavel de Jesus Onix Duran Avery Thompson
Screenplay / Gui?n Eddy Duran
Cinematography / Cinematograf?a Isidro Urquia
Cast / Reparto: Anthony Ruiz, Santana Pilarte, Aida Angotti, Onix Duran, Jason Ramirez, Yvette Pilarte, Jaime Velez
Genre / G?nero: Comedia Comedy
Country / Pa?s: United States
Language / Idioma: English
Subtitles / Subt?tulos: English / Ingl?s
Year / A?o: 2005
Length / Duraci?n: 84 Minutes
Digital 24p, Color, 1,1:66

alcapone619

Aug 25, 2005
Any other films ???

OK, I've seen Washington Heights and Nueba Yol, but out here in California it is rare that Dominican films/documentaries are shown anywhere, even on PBS.

Does anyone else have some suggestions of some good films/documentaries that are CURRENTLY AVAILABLE (maybe on ebay) that one could purchase?

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
While I haven't seen the play I did purchase the book. It was cool.
I actually met David a few years back. He is a brotha that is a lot to the left but means well. He also is an awesome researcher of the roots of hip-hop and usually on the money on its strategized deterioration of our communities.
Last time I saw him he was teaching at Hunter College. A few of the Dominican orgs I think sponsored a showing of it a two summers back.

D

neverlost said:
Since we're talking documentaries and things of the sort, has Anyone seen this play??

http://www.platanosandcollardgreens.com/aboutus.html