Going from Boca Chica to Las Terrenas and....

ingve

Aug 4, 2005
Hello
just wondering if anyone can help me with my planning. My girlfriend and I are going to the DOminican Republic for the first three weeks of October, and the plan is as follow:
Flying in to Santo Domingo
4 nights in Boca Chica
7 Nights in Las Terrenas
6 nights in Bayahibe
2 nights in Santo Domingo
Departure from Santo domingo

So, we need to know how to get around from one place to the next. We would prefer not to drive ourself, and wonder if plane from santo domingo to lat terrenas and back again (with some taxi) is the easiest way (and not to expensive)?

Appreciate any good tips!

Ingve

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Las Terrenas is a lovely small town that is accessible easily by air on Aerodmca, the website is: http://www.aerodomca.com/English/english.html. Caribe Tours has regular bus service from SD to Sanchez where you can easily find a taxi to Terrenas. The bus is a 4 hour ride through the beautiful DR countryside and the taxi about twenty minutes. The plane is a half hour ride from the airport in SD to Portillo which is about ten minutes from Las Terrenas. Either way it's a great trip! Enjoy!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Lucky you. 19 days in the DR.

I'm not sure if you know, but the airport (SDQ) is actually closer to Boca Chica than Santo Domingo.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
Fly into Puerta Plata instead and stay 4 days in Sosua,that way you are closer to Las Terrenas.A lot more to do in Sosua,less hassle.

ggn420

Brain Doner
Apr 21, 2005
RonS said:
Las Terrenas is a lovely small town that is accessible easily by air on Aerodmca, the website is: http://www.aerodomca.com/English/english.html. Caribe Tours has regular bus service from SD to Sanchez where you can easily find a taxi to Terrenas. The bus is a 4 hour ride through the beautiful DR countryside and the taxi about twenty minutes. The plane is a half hour ride from the airport in SD to Portillo which is about ten minutes from Las Terrenas. Either way it's a great trip! Enjoy!
Ron's on the money. 60 bucks and under an hour.....the view of the country is awesome at 3000ft.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
boca chica las terrenas

ggn420 said:
Ron's on the money. 60 bucks and under an hour.....the view of the country is awesome at 3000ft.
there are also several busses a day fron SD directly to las terrenas,no need to go to sanchez and then try to get a guagua to las terrenas.phone number for bus station is 8096871470

ingve

Aug 4, 2005
Thanks

Thank you for your information.
I think we will try to go for the plane solution one way and the bus the other way, to get the best (and worst) of both options

Ingve

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
hifiman said:
Fly into Puerta Plata instead and stay 4 days in Sosua,that way you are closer to Las Terrenas.A lot more to do in Sosua,less hassle.

The down side of going from Sosua to Las Terrenas is that the coach type busses on longer go between the two. There is only a 50 year old public bus and it drops you off in sanchez. From there you need to make your way to Las Terrenas. Trust me, this trip is 4+ hours of HELL.

I agree that Boca Chica is the least interesting of your destinations, perhaps you may want to think about skipping it and heading straight to Bayahibe by bus, then fly to Las Terrenas, the fly to Sosua, from there take the bus to Santo Domingo. Or even better yet reverse the order, Sosua is a good place to start a trip because there are many ex-pats in Sosua, and you can pick their brains as to what to do in each of these areas.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
jaguarbob said:
there are also several busses a day fron SD directly to las terrenas,no need to go to sanchez and then try to get a guagua to las terrenas.phone number for bus station is 8096871470

Not. There aren't any direct buses directly to Las Terrenas from SD. You'll need to get a taxi or other transport from Sanchez.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
sd to las terrenas

RonS said:
Not. There aren't any direct buses directly to Las Terrenas from SD. You'll need to get a taxi or other transport from Sanchez.[/QUOTE

]
I hate to disagree,but I take bus from sd to las terrenas at least 3 times a month,and also go to el limon thru las terrenas as I have a house in el limon.
earliest is 830,latest is around 330pm..one at 140 goes to el limon also as its end destination

phone for bus station in sd is 687-1470.

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
jaguarbob said:
RonS said:
Not. There aren't any direct buses directly to Las Terrenas from SD. You'll need to get a taxi or other transport from Sanchez.[/QUOTE

]
I hate to disagree,but I take bus from sd to las terrenas at least 3 times a month,and also go to el limon thru las terrenas as I have a house in el limon.
earliest is 830,latest is around 330pm..one at 140 goes to el limon also as its end destination

phone for bus station in sd is 687-1470.

Now we have to dial the area code before telephone number for all calls (10 digits format) 809-687-1470