DR-CAFTA... Vehicles Exempt?

rabre004

Aug 4, 2005
I heard many things about motor vehicles not exempt from duties under DR-CAFTA.

Some people say cars are not included but some people say that taxes for cars will be cut slowly at first and then accelerate in year 4th til all duties are gone by year 10th. Anyone has more information on that? Who is right? Thanks

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
They will be phased out slowly for 3 years (I think), then accellerate more rapidly. There will be no vehicle duty in 10 years.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Thanks so much for the links... I better download the appropriate bits and pieces today. Now back to vehicles. there are stack of subcategories under vechiles... but I cannot find specifically used vehicles or self-importation in the schedule... I don't think self-importation matters, the base and category for vehicles will determine the phase out of duties across all imports. Their may be a twist somewhere in that the DR could say internally that only dealers may import vehicles, but I've not seen anything like that.

http://www.sice.oas.org/Trade/CAFTA/CAFTADR_e/asset_upload_file736_5848.pdf

Perhaps one of you have more luck in searching this file and finding the correct category. Then it is easy to look up the base and the category which will tell you how the duties are phased out.

The one piece of information that has still not clarified for me, is the interaction of free trade zones with DR-Cafta. I heard some time ago that only FTZ companies will be allowed to function under the provisions, but I cannot quite buy this. Does anyone know?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't Count Your "Chevys" Before They're "Hatched"!

THe DR's "Crafty" "So-Called" Politicians are not about to let go of the "Tariff" cash cow that easily!!I see in the "powers" that there is a proposed 15% "sur-charge" on imported vehicles,a 3 % tax on "assets" of the car dealers,and a 1% pre-tax on incomes of the dealers,which equals 19% "TAX" on New Cars!!
Have you ever known a politician to give back a "Tax" without"Taking it" somewhere else???

"LOAD OF CRAP"the way the DR is "Defeating" the agreement before it is even signed!
ccc

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
Important to Remember. CAFTA is for Duty Free Trade for items of Origin in the US and DR. Therefore a Toyota manufactured in the US will garner the exemption but a Toyota manufactured in Japan, imported into the US and then shipped to the DR would not.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Criss Colon said:
"LOAD OF CRAP"the way the DR is "Defeating" the agreement before it is even signed!
ccc

I agree with that.... Does someone out there know whether the other countries (well, exclude the US...) are adding new taxes to make up for what they will lose under DR-Cafta. This is getting more ridiculous by the day. I thought DR-Cafta was to encourage and improve trade... and not for us here in the DR to pay for what the other DR-Cafta countries are going to be importing... Ludicrous... My mind cannot even get around the bamboozles and shenanigans... Give me Clinton! His 'sins' were simple! Women, sex and cigars... easy... I could understand this. ;)