Hotels/Bars Santo Domingo

crazydaisy

May 23, 2005
Hi

I am coming back to the DR for a few weeks in October and am hoping to spend 4/5 days in Santo Domingo. Can anyone recommend a resonable cheap hotel in a nice part of town. Preferably i would like one that has a bar on site or very close by. (god i sound like an alcoholic !!!)

Also not sure which parts of town are best? One more question how much is the bus that runs from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo and how often does it run.

I also hope to stay in Cabrete for a few days also - so any info on places to stay would be good.

Many thanks to you all in advance.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
What price range are you looking for? I like to stay in the Gazcue area as you can walk to the zona colonial and the malecon and there are tons of restaurants etc.

Let me know a price range and I can better recommend a place.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Hey, Rafael, is the Hotel Venezia in Gazcue too? Is that a good hotel for the price and the area? I know you are familiar with La Residence on Danae St. and perhaps other hotels in the area. I saw another poster describing that hotel and street as good for "sexual tourists". Why is that? La Residence seems to have a good price for about 30dls. a night. But, is it a safe hotel?

Besides the Zona Colonial, can you safely walk at night on major avenues in the area. Are there lots of people walking or do you only see vehicles and only the bad element walking?

qgrande

Bronze
Jul 27, 2005
Bus

If I remember correctly the Caribe buses between Santo Domingo and the North Coast go every hour and cost about 200 pesos

mb2

Mar 2, 2005
I would recommend the Condo Parque, www.condo-parque.ch.vu. It has a great location right in the Colonial District across a block south of the entrance to Calle Conde. It has a bar on site as well which is popular with the expat community, so there will be lots of Dutch, US, Canadian, etc. there. It is by no means a nightclub atmosphere! Just a quiet bar in the lobby. Probably only around $30 a night. There are pictures on their website, and it sounds like just what you're looking for. The location can't be beat!